Winston 11 week old minature schnauzer

Please feel free to introduce yourself and your Schnauzer to the rest of the members of the forum. A photo of your Schnauzer is always appreciated.

Moderators: GaryThomlinson, zeta1454, Dawnspell

Forum rules
Please do not post questions regarding your dog here. This area allows people to introduce themselves and get to know other members of the forum. Any specific issues can be raised in the appropriate section.
Darrenmcm1985
First Name: Darren

Winston 11 week old minature schnauzer

Post by Darrenmcm1985 »

Hi

Recently we decided to get a minature schnauzer pup,we picked him up at 10 weeks due to my partner and I wanting to have as much time with him in his early stages and before that point our work wouldn't allow that.
So I'm basically just wanting to know if you guys have any good tips about bringing him up do's and dont's
He has settled in nicely and as much as I don't want to jinx it getting into a routine with toilet training whining at the door or waking us up to be taken out
He's at the biting stage but so far hasn't decided to chew on any furniture or skirting etc
As I said before any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated
TSITSIRIDES
Puppy
First Name: Joyce

Re: Winston 11 week old minature schnauzer

Post by TSITSIRIDES »

Hi there we got a miniature along with my son so we have experience of two dogs' ways. We are learning as we go, I have 4 other dogs but they are all different and Lulu has settled in well. She is going to be kept in a crate at night and when I'm out and she seems happy with this. Hopefully it will alleviate the chewing a bit. She is very bright and quick to learn, the only thing I'm struggling with is she doesn't like walking on the lead and just s sits there unless I do lots of coaxing with treats. This is taking a long time but I guess I've got to be patient. She is ok off lead and trots along quite happily. She is also a bit of a barker and will bark at anything and anyone which I need to stop, although the breed are known for this and having 3 Yorkies who yap I should be used to. I am feeding her raw food which the breeder uses which she loves, I'm not so keen but will continue for the time being. My suggestions are get your pup to a KC recommended puppy training course as it's a brilliant foundation for the basics. I think other than that just be firm as they do tend to take advantage. Don't cave in and have the dog in your bedroom as I did with my others (absolute nightmare) as they all end up on the bed!!! Other Han that just use common sense as I said they are very intelligent and learn quickly. Good luck.
AnnieMoon
First Name: Annie
Dog #1: Harriet
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 05 Oct 2017

Post by AnnieMoon »

Hi Darren! Welcome to you and Winston to the forum!! I'm a new owner too, Harriet is 17 weeks old and she's been with me for a month. I guess I can't give you too many advices, but I can share experiences with you, as Harriet has also settled very well but she's in the biting stage too. The last two weeks I was really desperate, I would prefer she chew every piece of furniture in the house rather than my hands. In the last 3 days I noticed some improvement, and now half of the times she stops when I say "no". We are having more pleasant days.
Hope to see pics of puppy Winston soon!! Enjoy it!
zeta1454
First Name: Leigh
Dog #1: Magic
Born: 20 Apr 2010
Dog #2: Trilby
Born: 15 Mar 2012
Dog #3: Pip
Born: 21 Feb 2014

Post by zeta1454 »

Welcome to the Forum :)

You may find some of the information on this link helpful;
http://www.thepuppyplan.com/resources/d ... m8cwNGnyf0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The whole Puppy Plan website is worth a browse too.

As said above, set the ground rules early or you will have problems later. It does not really matter once a puppy is grown whether or not you decide to let them sleep on the furniture or even on the bed as long as you do not mind them doing this long term. If you don't want it to happen permanently, then make that a rule from the outset.

Absolutely vital is that you get your puppy out and about to meet people and experience as many different places and types of people (age / height/ wearing glasses/ wearing hats etc. ) as possible. Also meet other dogs, possibly other animals, traffic, bin lorries - noises that may be scary etc. This does need to be done by 12-16 weeks of age. Carry the puppy in your arms, in a pet carrier or pet buggy if they have not yet completed their vaccinations.

As regards nipping and biting, this is largely due to teething so plenty of chew toys and direct the puppy on to these if they start chewing on hands, fingers or furniture. It can also be worse if the puppy is overtired so make sure that your puppy gets plenty of rest throughout the day and time out in crate or playpen if they are becoming bitey or hyper.

Although you do want to be there full time initially to establish routines such as toilet training and meal times, you must not forget to include times when your puppy is left alone or you may have difficulty with separation anxiety issues in the future if and when you do need to leave your dog at home while you are out. Start with very short periods and build up very gradually, leaving the puppy in its crate or playpen to sleep.

Check out this link for a guide to appropriate exercise for puppies too, as many people give their growing pups too much hard exercise which can be damaging. Mental exercise is actually more tiring to puppies than physical exercise so, as suggested above, enrol in a training class as soon as you can too.

https://www.puppyculture.com/new-approp ... rcise.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Good luck :)
Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. ~Roger Caras

Magic - Silversocks Sharade at Darksprite
Trilby - Darksprite Rosa Bud

https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/C ... 916994967/