Hi, i am new and currently Schnasuzerless

Please feel free to introduce yourself and your Schnauzer to the rest of the members of the forum. A photo of your Schnauzer is always appreciated.

Moderators: GaryThomlinson, zeta1454, Dawnspell

Forum rules
Please do not post questions regarding your dog here. This area allows people to introduce themselves and get to know other members of the forum. Any specific issues can be raised in the appropriate section.
MiniSchnaus
Puppy
First Name: Nu

Hi, i am new and currently Schnasuzerless

Post by MiniSchnaus »

Hi,

It would be rude not to say hi before asking a number of questions.

We are currently not dog owners and haven't had a dog as partners. We are getting on a bit and live in Leicestershire.

We have set our hearts on a Mini Schnauzer and intend to add to the family within the next couple of Months.
Schnauzer Sam
First Name: Sam
Dog #1: Rosie
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 06 Jul 2017
Dog #2: Edie
Born: 11 Jun 2018

Re: Hi, i am new and currently Schnasuzerless

Post by Schnauzer Sam »

Hi Nu,

Welcome to the forum. Hopefully you'll find us a friendly and supportive bunch.
Country Girl at Heart (Molly) 8 April 2003 - 22 December 2018

You're never alone when you own a schnauzer

https://www.facebook.com/pg/Rosie-and-E ... 872588622/
MiniSchnaus
Puppy

Post by MiniSchnaus »

Thank you Sam, I am sure I will.

I am quite a laid back type of guy but I am quite excited about adding to the family - My Partner, her 2 adult kids and myself.

That is a great Pic of Rosie BTW!
Robin black mini
First Name: Jo
Dog #1: Robin
is a: Black Mini Bitch
Born: 13 Dec 2014
Dog #2: Stanley st poodle
Born: 24 Nov 2012

Post by Robin black mini »

Welcome aboard..
I've had many dogs ,but the mini is one of the best breeds I've had..so much character in a tiny package.
I hope you find your pup soon and we definitely look forward to the pics.
What colour are you researching? Do be sure the parents are health tested for pra ( eye tests) and the breeder is reputable..have a look in the puppy section as to what to look for in a breeder etc..
MiniSchnaus
Puppy

Post by MiniSchnaus »

Hi Robin, Probably a salt & pepper.

Thanks for the advice on PRA and breeders. We have been mulling extending the family for several Months now and, it seems, that we have read so much on the web

We will be looking for a KC reg dog - we don't want to breed them and the new addition will just be a family member - but we don't want the dog to come from someone who just pumps out litters for profit. A reputable breeder is very important to us.
Robin black mini
First Name: Jo
Dog #1: Robin
is a: Black Mini Bitch
Born: 13 Dec 2014
Dog #2: Stanley st poodle
Born: 24 Nov 2012

Post by Robin black mini »

Hi Nu..
I would be flexible on colour choice but stay focused on health testing..go to breeders who show their dogs ,it says they are current with the kc standards and their dogs are typical for the breed. Most importantly,your pup should be cleared for hereditary cataract.and parents should be pra clear..
Home bred dogs and puppy farm dogs are readily available but you will not have the lifetime backup a good breeder can and should offer you.
I have seen many beautiful pups from byb,but over the years the sad stories that go with them are heart breaking and really supports the need for all pups to come from health tested parents.
I've kept in touch with most of my own former dogs breeders..a Christmas card,a letter if I've a query..they too want to know if any health issues have arisen which they can take into account when planning their future litters etc.
Hope you find your pup ..please keep in touch with us.
MiniSchnaus
Puppy

Post by MiniSchnaus »

Thanks again Robin.

Clear health and a registered breeder are more important than colour or gender of the pupster We are willing to travel and we will make sure all documentation and checks have been carried out and clear before we commit.
zeta1454
First Name: Leigh
Dog #1: Magic
Born: 20 Apr 2010
Dog #2: Trilby
Born: 15 Mar 2012
Dog #3: Pip
Born: 21 Feb 2014

Post by zeta1454 »

Welcome to the Forum :-)

Do check out the breed clubs as well as the Kennel Club website and the topics on the Forum regarding the miniature schnauzer, finding a reputable breeder and health testing etc. As well as the eye tests, miniature schnauzers who are used for breeding should now be DNA tested for MAC ( Mycobacterium Avium Complex). This is taken from the Northern Schnauzer Club website (author Chris Ellingworth - Health Co-ordinator) but all the UK schnauzer breed clubs have the same criteria for health screening:

".....when looking for a puppy, you are strongly advised to ask the breeder for up to date details on the health of the dam, sire and puppies as well as the general health status of the breed. The Northern Schnauzer Club recommends that, as a minimum, breeders adhere to the required health screening tests relevant to the Miniature Schnauzer i.e. at the time of publication:

Eye testing for Hereditary Cataracts (HC) Progressive Retinal Atrophy (PRA) and litter screening puppies eyes for Congenital Hereditary Cataracts (CHC)
DNA Screening for Mycobacterium Avium Complex (MAC)
Health Testing - Miniature Schnauzers
Hereditary Eye Problems
‘Congenital Hereditary Cataracts’ (CHC), ‘Hereditary Cataracts’ (HC) & Generalised Progressive Retinal Atrophy (PRA), can occur in the Miniature Schnauzer. Until DNA tests are able to help eradicate these conditions from the breed, caring breeders must eye-test any dog or bitch used in breeding programme and screen every litter. This is now a mandatory requirement for our Club members. Testing is by a veterinary ophthalmologist registered with the British Veterinary Association/Kennel Club (BVA/KC) Eye Scheme Panel.[1]

When looking for a puppy, any caring and responsible breeder will be happy to show you the Eye Test Certificates of the mother (dam) and confirm that the sire has a clinically unaffected certificate (both should be dated within the previous 12 months). You would also see the Litter Screening Form proving the litter is clear of one of the eye conditions (CHC) at the time you collect your puppy.

Congenital Hereditary Cataracts (CHC): Puppies must be eye-screened, by a BVA/KC Eye Scheme panellist, between 5 & 8 weeks & before they leave the breeder. A copy of the litter screening form should be provided to the new owner.

Hereditary Cataract (HC) – sometimes referred to as ‘Juvenile’ or, in the USA, as ‘CJC’ – can only be diagnosed from about 6 months onward, and sometimes even later than aged 2 years. All dogs must be eye-tested prior to breeding.

Generalised Progressive Retinal Atrophy (PRA) may not appear until 12 months upwards, but may be detected in some breeds at any point between 6 months and 6 years. The earliest reported case in Miniature Schnauzers was in a 3-year old.

Annual eye testing is necessary to identify HC or PRA, as both these conditions develop later.

To summarise: All Miniature Schnauzers should be eye-tested before being bred from and then annually whilst used in any breeding programme irrespective of age.

Mycobacterium Avium Complex (MAC)
New DNA testing scheme for Mycobacterium Avium Complex (MAC) in Miniature Schnauzers has been approved by the Kennel Club

The Kennel Club (KC) following consultation with the Northern Schnauzer Club (NSC), Schnauzer Club of Great Britain (SCGB) and Miniature Schnauzer Club (MSC) has approved the Official DNA Testing Scheme for MAC. As a result, the KC has sent emails to all breeders of Miniature Schnauzers detailing the information.

This collaborative approach between the 3 Clubs has also led to an agreement that the Clubs recommend, in line with Dr Giger and the American Miniature Schnauzer Club‘s (AMSC) guidance that:

PRIOR TO MATING, all Miniature Schnauzers should be DNA tested for MAC unless BOTH parents have been DNA tested and BOTH are ‘Normal/Clear’

DNA-tested dogs’ results are certified ‘Normal’, ‘Carrier’ or ‘Affected’.

MAC is an autosomal recessive condition, i.e. to be ‘Affected’ with this disease, the dog has two copies of the abnormal gene (one from its mother AND one from its father). A dog that only has ONE copy of the abnormal gene, (from its mother OR father), will have no signs of the disease but, as a ‘Carrier’, may pass the gene onto any offspring. A dog DNA-tested ‘Normal’ does not have the abnormal genes for this condition.

The availability of the DNA test is therefore really good news. All caring, responsible breeders can help eradicate this disease from the breed, by having any dog or bitch DNA tested, prior to being used in a breeding programme.

DNA testing does not determine if you can breed or not, but with whom.

Puppies from ‘Normal’ x ‘Normal’ parents will be clear;
Puppies from ‘Normal’ x Carrier’ parents must be tested before they are used in future breeding programmes..."

Full details re the importance of the MAC DNA test and eye screening can be found on the Northern Schnauzer Club website; the Miniature Schnauzer Club website and the website of the Schnauzer Club of Great Britain. Reputable breeders will be carrying out these tests and should be able to supply you with the certificates to show the results. The Kennel Club also publishes the eye screening test results (and the MAC results if the owner agrees) on their MyKC website. Do register for a MyKC account as it does give you access to health and pedigree information as well as much more :-)

https://www.thekennelclub.org.uk/our-resources/mykc/
Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. ~Roger Caras

Magic - Silversocks Sharade at Darksprite
Trilby - Darksprite Rosa Bud

https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/C ... 916994967/
MiniSchnaus
Puppy

Post by MiniSchnaus »

Wow, thanks for a comprehensive list. I.m off to register at MyKC.

Thanks
mikegoodson1
First Name: Mike
Dog #1: Oscar
is a: Black Mini Dog
Born: 17 Oct 2015
Dog #2: Sasha
is a: B/S Mini Bitch
Born: 23 Sep 2017

Post by mikegoodson1 »

Hi Nu,

Just wondered if there was any update on the Mini Schnauzer front? As Robin said in an earlier reply, they really are a BIG dog in a small package :)

Cheers
Mike