Newbie Miniature Schnauzer USA

Please feel free to introduce yourself and your Schnauzer to the rest of the members of the forum. A photo of your Schnauzer is always appreciated.

Moderators: GaryThomlinson, zeta1454, Dawnspell

Forum rules
Please do not post questions regarding your dog here. This area allows people to introduce themselves and get to know other members of the forum. Any specific issues can be raised in the appropriate section.
Sassysonia
First Name: Michael

Newbie Miniature Schnauzer USA

Post by Sassysonia »

Hi all... new Miniature Schnauzer from the States! Our little girl is named “Sassy’’ and the name fit’s her, she is seven and has had a up and down life, she was born with cataracts and was recently diagnosed with “ITP’’ Canine Immune Mediated Thrombocytopenia! I was wondering if this disease is common for the breed, I know that cataracts can be! Thank You!
Robin black mini
First Name: Jo
Dog #1: Robin
is a: Black Mini Bitch
Born: 13 Dec 2014
Dog #2: Stanley st poodle
Born: 24 Nov 2012

Re: Newbie Miniature Schnauzer USA

Post by Robin black mini »

https://www.itpsupport.org.uk/index.php/en/itp-in-dogs

Welcome sassy. and Michael.
sassy looks great,despite her rocky health history..they are such stoic dogs aren't they.
Thankfully this illness is not one of the mini schnauzers more common problems..
The link above is a comprehensive one..it took me back to my two years in USA when my human son ,aged 15 ,was taken to the ER as his lower legs had turned purple..he had another form of this purpura disease,henoch schonlein..he was given massive doses of prednisone and controlled via blood tests, for the next few years...thankfully it resolved in a few months and he's now 33 with no repercussions...
In sassy case I believe chronic low platelets are the issue..id like to hear more about her and how she and you deal with this serious illness.
As you say the cataracts are more common in the minis...today in most cases pups have a better future by having parents health tested for HD ,pra etc before breeding and pups should also have a test for HD before they leave the breeder.
Anyway,welcome on board! I'm in Italy and have a black mini girl called Robin.
zeta1454
First Name: Leigh
Dog #1: Magic
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 20 Apr 2010
Dog #2: Trilby
Born: 15 Mar 2012
Dog #3: Pip
Born: 21 Feb 2014

Re: Newbie Miniature Schnauzer USA

Post by zeta1454 »

Welcome to the Forum :-)
Sorry to hear about Sassy's poor health. There are some studies that seem to show miniature schnauzers to be one of the breeds that may have a higher than average susceptibility to immune mediated thrombocytopenia but the numbers are still very small. As with any illness it will be a combination of genetics and other reasons why a particular dog is affected. Environmental toxins, medications, vaccines, poor nutrition and sustained stress can all play a part in overloading or damaging the immune system and contributing to a range of autoimmune conditions.

As said above, do let us know how Sassy progresses with treatment.
Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. ~Roger Caras

Magic - Silversocks Sharade at Darksprite
Trilby - Darksprite Rosa Bud

https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/C ... 916994967/