New puppy

Please feel free to introduce yourself and your Schnauzer to the rest of the members of the forum. A photo of your Schnauzer is always appreciated.

Moderators: GaryThomlinson, zeta1454, Dawnspell

Forum rules
Please do not post questions regarding your dog here. This area allows people to introduce themselves and get to know other members of the forum. Any specific issues can be raised in the appropriate section.
Dawnspell
First Name: Alison
Dog #1: Barney RIP 8/3/19
is a: White Mini Dog
Born: 06 Feb 2013
Dog #2: Jasper
is a: White Mini Dog
Born: 25 Apr 2019

Re: New puppy And ears

Post by Dawnspell »

Hi Paula
I split your post from the other thread. Hope that's ok.

I think youre the first I've come across with a pup with natural ears wanting them to stand up, its normally the other way around :)) You can normally get an indication around teething time whether they are going to fly away or not. To try keep them down its normally suggested to not shave the ears until 7 or 8 months. The weight helps to keep them down. So try keeping them shaved so theyre as light in weight as possible. However its probably really down to genetics. What ears do the parents have?

Barney has natural ears and hes never had any problems. I shave inside the ear leather to the skin and using blunt scissors trim the hair around the ear canal to allow the air to move freely.
Our first family dog
Barney - Pocketpark Biali Eyebright 6/2/13 - 8/3/19 Gone too soon
Motto for owners who groom their own Schnauzers -"Never mind it'll soon grow back"
zeta1454
First Name: Leigh
Dog #1: Magic
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 20 Apr 2010
Dog #2: Trilby
Born: 15 Mar 2012
Dog #3: Pip
Born: 21 Feb 2014

Re: New puppy

Post by zeta1454 »

Hi Paula - welcome to the Forum :-)

Historically, schnauzers have had ears that lay flat to the head so the breed are not naturally prick-eared. It is not possible to safely or kindly tamper with the natural set of the ears whether to make them appear upright (as in cropping which is illegal in the UK and Europe) or to try to force down ears which may for genetic reasons have a tendency to stand out from the head or even sit upright. You may find, if your puppy is still young, that the ears will rise as they mature as there certainly are mini schnauzers who do have ears that fail to settle into a natural look, as you have discovered with your first minis. As Dawnspell mentioned you may be able to get an idea of the likely ear set from knowing what the parents' ears were like although it is still not 100% certain to be the same with your puppy.

Many dogs of all breeds and none do have drop ears so there is no necessity for this to lead to infections if they are kept clean and free of too much hair in the ear canal.

Just love your recent addition for their uniqueness in your family and not fret about whether the ears are up or down. We got a puppy some years ago (of a different breed where the ears can be naturally either prick eared or drop eared) and I really wanted a drop eared dog which are actually more common by far in this particular breed. When he came home to us his ears were down but, as he matured, they lifted and it turned out he (and his litter sister) were actually prick eared. Although it had not been my original wish, I have never regretted his look and his character is amazing. When you think about it, external characteristics may be appealing but each dog is unique in their own way and, just like people, their looks / colour etc. are really the least important aspect of their individuality :-)
Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. ~Roger Caras

Magic - Silversocks Sharade at Darksprite
Trilby - Darksprite Rosa Bud

https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/C ... 916994967/
Oscar 12345
First Name: Julie
Dog #1: Oscar RIP Sweety
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 21 Dec 2002
Dog #2: Otto
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 04 Jul 2017

Post by Oscar 12345 »

Schnauzers have beautifully folded ears. I was a wee bit worried at teething time when I thought I had purchased a bat. Otto's ears were everywhere. I didn't touch the hair on his ears to add weight but I needn't have worried. They sit beautifully. You have to be careful with moisture in dog's ears generally. I do like Alison in that they get shaved inside as much as possible and then I gently pull the inner hair to the surface and cut as short as I can. I do not pluck, I have never plucked the inner ear area as rightly or wrongly I think that is the possible cause of many ear problems in that in the same way that stripping can lead to bacterial infections if bacteria enters an open follicle. I also use thornit powder (a tiny amount on a small make-up brush) inside the ear to keep the ear clean and dry and it smells nice too. I never let water get into the ear when bathing and I do find that the schnauzers I have had don't have moist ears, when they run they tend to flap and when Otto lies down they stand to attention on the carpet. Learn to love the folded ear of the schnauzer, it is just endearing in my opinion. Welcome to the forum by the way.
Man cannot survive with wine alone...
we also need a schnauzer.
Schnauzer Sam
First Name: Sam
Dog #1: Rosie
Born: 06 Jul 2017
Dog #2: Edie
Born: 11 Jun 2018

Post by Schnauzer Sam »

I too clip the inner ear as short as possible and scissor out the hair. I then wash the inside of Rosie's ears with a few drops of Leucillin Antiseptic Multi-Pet Skin Care otherwise I find she gets little crusty growths where her ears flap over. Since I used the Leucillin, I haven't had a problem.

I adore seeing the ears attempt to take off in the wind when she's running; it's part of the charm of a schnauzer. Totally agree with Leigh though that the personality and character of the dog is what attracts me to the schnauzer. Whenever the neighbourhood dogs are having a late evening chorus, you can bet it'll be the schnauzer that has the last word; usually a very quiet woof :)
Country Girl at Heart (Molly) 8 April 2003 - 22 December 2018

You're never alone when you own a schnauzer

https://www.facebook.com/pg/Rosie-and-E ... 872588622/