New to Schnauzer’s

Please feel free to introduce yourself and your Schnauzer to the rest of the members of the forum. A photo of your Schnauzer is always appreciated.

Moderators: GaryThomlinson, zeta1454, Dawnspell

Forum rules
Please do not post questions regarding your dog here. This area allows people to introduce themselves and get to know other members of the forum. Any specific issues can be raised in the appropriate section.
Gingajen
First Name: Jenny

New to Schnauzer’s

Post by Gingajen »

Hi all,
We picked up our 13 week old miniature Schnauzer, Otto, on Sunday.
He’s the first Schnauzer we’ve ever had, having always had springer spaniels in the past, but we decided on a mini after researching which breed would suit us as a family the best.
It’s been a long time since we had a puppy in the house, 15 years in fact and with an almost one year old baby in the house too, this half term has been tiring! The first night, the baby and the puppy alternated waking an crying all night long!
I have a couple of questions that I hope someone could answer, to ensure we’re doing the best we can by Otto.
We’re crating him at the minute, he sleeps in there for nap times (today Otto and the baby napped at the same time, magical!) but he cries at night. I can ignore this to a point but he’s so loud I’m worried about the neighbours! Is it a case of just letting him cry and eventually he’ll get used to it? Or do some puppies never take to the crate? I’m not overly bothered about him always being crated, it’s really only until he’s house trained and at a point where I’m confident he’s not going to chew the kitchen to pieces while I’m out.
He’s a puppy, and chewing goes with the territory but how do we stop the nipping when he’s being groomed? We’re doing this regularly as he needs to get used to it, but he’s started to nip at the hair brush. How do we discourage this behaviour? He obviously thinks it’s a game when we move the brush away, so I don’t know how to solve this.
Also, Otto loves the baby and thinks he’s a puppy and wants to play, sometimes roughly, all the time. The baby isn’t always keen on this and I’m not happy to let Otto keep licking and tugging at the baby, especially when it’s clear the baby has had enough. What’s the best way of letting Otto know when he’s gone to far? We’ve tried yapping as his litter mates would have done. Do we continue to pick the baby up out of the way when this happens or does this make Otto thinks it’s a game?
Any help would be gratefully appreciated.
Many thanks