New Member and Standard owner

Please feel free to introduce yourself and your Schnauzer to the rest of the members of the forum. A photo of your Schnauzer is always appreciated.

Moderators: GaryThomlinson, zeta1454, Dawnspell

Forum rules
Please do not post questions regarding your dog here. This area allows people to introduce themselves and get to know other members of the forum. Any specific issues can be raised in the appropriate section.
offroadhamster
First Name: BRIAN

New Member and Standard owner

Post by offroadhamster »

Seems we dont have many Schnauzer Enthusiasts in the US, particularly not Standard enthusiasts...So here I am.

When I was a bachelor I rescued a Plott hound (which is a largish american developed hound bread to hunt big game like boar, bear and large cats). In January of this year we lost California Duke, my best friend of 12 years, fearless guardian of my wife, kids and home, hiking partner, chaser of coyotes, catcher of bob-cats, subduer of raccoons. A dog who stood down a an early spring bear over his indignation at it rummaging through my backpack. Who slept at the foot of my daughters crip, sat quietly while the neighborhood kids pulled on his ears and tail, and rested his nose next to me on the bed when I was sick, sleeping in a sitting position.

Duke was a once in a lifetime dog, the one you get as a bachelor and devote all of your time to, and as a consequence becomes your tireless and completely devoted companion. Until you meet a girl..ha!...at which point he decides he has someone more important to protect and you become chopped liver. He used to quietly get up and follow my wife to the bathroom when we were camping and stand watch. The instincts of a good dog are amazing. I will certainly always miss him.

We recently welcomed a 9wk old Standard into our house after much breed deliberation. Duke drooled, was close to 90lbs, and shed everywhere. But he was exceptionally smart, always welcomed friends to our home, and stood fast against anyone who was not welcome. We wanted another dog, but one that was slightly smaller, shed less, and didnt drool, but still was active, intelligent and fearless. Our short list was Boxer, Standard, Akita Inu, and Doberman. The akita was too much of a shedding nightmare and the Doberman was potentially too large. We made some friends who had a male Standard and after meeting him I was sold. My wife took some convincing (she didnt like the beard) but after promising to keep the dog well groomed she caved.

We had to wait a bit for a litter given the rarity of the Standard here. And I had to take a 750 mile drive to get her, but Our friends dog's brother is the sire and the bitch is CH Hanlon Isabella Bird RATN a beautiful well tempered girl.

This is Vorberg Unsinkable Molly Brown

They day I brought her home

A couple weeks later after removal of a lot of puppy hair, 5 lbs heavier and sporting a lot of leg

We are looking forward to watching her insinuate into the family. So far she appears to be a very smart dog with a LOT of personality.
Schnauzer Sam
First Name: Sam
Dog #1: Rosie
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 06 Jul 2017
Dog #2: Edie
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 11 Jun 2018

Re: New Member and Standard owner

Post by Schnauzer Sam »

Welcome to the forum Brian.

She looks adorable and I look forward to seeing plenty of pics and read of her progress as I know very little about standard schnauzers. Given her kennel name; do you call her Molly?
Country Girl at Heart (Molly) 8 April 2003 - 22 December 2018

You're never alone when you own a schnauzer

https://www.facebook.com/pg/Rosie-and-E ... 872588622/
Oscar 12345
First Name: Julie
Dog #1: Oscar RIP Sweety
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 21 Dec 2002
Dog #2: Otto
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 04 Jul 2017

Post by Oscar 12345 »

Goodness, what a great story of Duke. You should write a book...

My story of both my mini schnauzers would read something like, chaser of squirrels, catcher of spiders, subduer of pigeons . A dog who stood down a seagull over his indignation at it rummaging in a bin at Lyme Regis.... not quite the same really but all masterly done. :)

Welcome to the forum and thank you for sending lovely photos of your latest family member. A terrific kennel name too.
Man cannot survive with wine alone...
we also need a schnauzer.
mikegoodson1
First Name: Mike
Dog #1: Oscar
is a: Black Mini Dog
Born: 17 Oct 2015
Dog #2: Sasha
is a: B/S Mini Bitch
Born: 23 Sep 2017

Post by mikegoodson1 »

Wow! I don't mind telling you that your story of Duke brought a tear to my eye, such beautiful words and obviously a special dog, I'm so sorry for your loss - he looked magnificent.

I hope you create just as many special memories with your Schnauzer puppy.

Looking forward to hearing how she gets on and obviously more pics :)
offroadhamster

Post by offroadhamster »

Thank you for the welcomes. We do call her Molly, though I am calling her the Mauler at the moment. She learned quickly not to chew on me, still applying the lesson to the kids and shoes.

Just here to absorb and lean on the collective wisdom of the board.
offroadhamster

Post by offroadhamster »

Molly is proving to be a very willful, but very smart girl. She is leash trained now, I can drop her in the middle of a crowded area and she will stay until I release her, will wait, sit, down, stand and watch on command and no longer needs a reminder to heel. Her excitement for fetch is on another level and she will gladly chase the ball till she drops. Ive started taking her on 5 minute "runs" alongside my bike and she is getting very adept. I cant wait until she is completely done growing so I can start taking her on my runs and rides. I dont want to put stress on her joints by running her before all her growth plates are closed, but looking forward to the fall/winter when she can start accompanying me.

Shes about 25lbs now, and looking on track to finish out around 33-36lbs, we shall see! My youngest loves her, my oldest is still warming up. THe little one has figured out if she stays still and doesnt scream, Molly is calm. My older one runs and makes a ton of noise and molly wants to play (and she plays HARD).

A few pics of the Mauler

This was my fault, watch out for those puppy teeth! 4 stitches.
Riesen16
First Name: Gillian
Dog #1: Enya von Amber
is a: P/S Giant Bitch
Born: 30 Sep 2015

Post by Riesen16 »

Hi Brian

Could your "Plott Hound" be a Fila Brasileiro?? Your description would really describe such a dog. We had a Fila Brasileiro a number of years back. He was a fantastic dog and he, and our Berger de Brie were like "Darby and Joan" although both males.