I am new on board

Please feel free to introduce yourself and your Schnauzer to the rest of the members of the forum. A photo of your Schnauzer is always appreciated.

Moderators: GaryThomlinson, zeta1454, Dawnspell

Forum rules
Please do not post questions regarding your dog here. This area allows people to introduce themselves and get to know other members of the forum. Any specific issues can be raised in the appropriate section.
drea97
Puppy
First Name: drea

I am new on board

Post by drea97 »

Hello Everyone

My name is Drea97. I have a new dog name Cookie, can anyone tell me what kind breed is Cookie.

zeta1454
First Name: Leigh
Dog #1: Magic
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 20 Apr 2010
Dog #2: Trilby
Born: 15 Mar 2012
Dog #3: Pip
Born: 21 Feb 2014

Re: I am new on board

Post by zeta1454 »

Welcome to the Forum Andrea :)

Cookie looks very sweet but it is difficult to tell a breed just from a photo. Did you get her from a shelter? If you have no idea of her parentage / pedigree the only way to be sure would be a DNA test.

If you were able to meet other schnauzers at a show or breed club or in the park ( when restrictions on going out are lifted!) you might be able to compare look / size / temperament with Cookie but it would not be certain and there are a range of looks among dogs that are registered as miniature schnauzers in particular. You could have a look at the breed standard which gives the expected size, coat colour and type, and other breed characteristics but even this is not certain either way with a pet dog. These are guides for the miniature schnauzer in the UK and in USA ( you could also check the standard schnauzer guides online too if Cookie is a larger size dog.)

https://www.thekennelclub.org.uk/servic ... px?id=4096

https://www.schnauzers-rule.com/akc-min ... auzer.html

I am sure you will have great fun with Cookie whatever her breed thought :o3
Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. ~Roger Caras

Magic - Silversocks Sharade at Darksprite
Trilby - Darksprite Rosa Bud

https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/C ... 916994967/
drea97
Puppy

Post by drea97 »

zeta1454 wrote: 15 Apr 2020, 06:58 Welcome to the Forum Andrea :)

Cookie looks very sweet but it is difficult to tell a breed just from a photo. Did you get her from a shelter? If you have no idea of her parentage / pedigree the only way to be sure would be a DNA test.

If you were able to meet other schnauzers at a show or breed club or in the park ( when restrictions on going out are lifted!) you might be able to compare look / size / temperament with Cookie but it would not be certain and there are a range of looks among dogs that are registered as miniature schnauzers in particular. You could have a look at the breed standard which gives the expected size, coat colour and type, and other breed characteristics but even this is not certain either way with a pet dog. These are guides for the miniature schnauzer in the UK and in USA ( you could also check the standard schnauzer guides online too if Cookie is a larger size dog.)

https://www.thekennelclub.org.uk/servic ... px?id=4096

https://www.schnauzers-rule.com/akc-min ... auzer.html

I am sure you will have great fun with Cookie whatever her breed thought :o3

A man gave me his dog he dosen't know what kinda of breed Cookie is.

drea97
Puppy

Post by drea97 »

zeta1454
First Name: Leigh
Dog #1: Magic
Born: 20 Apr 2010
Dog #2: Trilby
Born: 15 Mar 2012
Dog #3: Pip
Born: 21 Feb 2014

Post by zeta1454 »

Cookie does have a look similar to a schnauzer but without knowing the parents' breed or a DNA test, it is just guesswork really. The look of a pet schnauzer can vary considerably due to coat cut as well as breeding and some dogs registered or sold as schnauzers may actually have been cross bred or had other breeds in the pedigree further back. The first miniature schnauzers were derived from cross-breeding the standard schnauzer with other breeds and, for a range of reasons, breeders may still deliberately or accidentally produce a "Schnauzer" which is from mixed breed parentage.

If you look through the posts on the topic linked to below, you can see a selection of photos of mini schnauzers who have very different looks one from another much of this being due to the way they have been groomed:

viewtopic.php?f=26&t=21851&start=15
Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. ~Roger Caras

Magic - Silversocks Sharade at Darksprite
Trilby - Darksprite Rosa Bud

https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/C ... 916994967/
jdsnook
First Name: Joseph
Dog #1: Pepper
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 12 Apr 1980
Dog #2: Schatzee
Born: 06 Jun 1983
Dog #3: Maestro
Born: 24 May 1988

Luca our first and latest Mini Schnauzer

Post by jdsnook »

Luca asleep on the sofa. In this picture and the next Luca was only 3 months old and weighed 4 lbs.

Luca with his Lamb Chops, it was amazing to see that the Lamb Chops Toy was just a little smaller than Luca.

Luca was 4 months old. At 5 months old he was totally potty trained for both indoors and outdoors, it is great having a doggy door with an enclosed backyard. At 4 months old Luca weight 5.9 lbs.; the Mini Schnauzer is usually half of it's adult weight at 4 months old, which he will probably be around 12 lbs..
jdsnook
Last edited by jdsnook on 18 Apr 2020, 23:14, edited 3 times in total.
jdsnook

Our lastest Mini Schnauzer

Post by jdsnook »

Luca, an AKC MINI Miniature Schnauzer, the photos above were taken when Luca was 4 months old; he will only grow to be between 10 to 12 lbs.. He has beautiful eyelashes. I have had a total of six Miniature Schnauzers over the years. the last three were bi--lingual (English and Italian commands and understanding) Ciccio Bello, born April 3, 2002; Massimo, born December 18, 2008 and Luca we just picked him up on Valentines Day 2020, his date of birth is November 11, 2019.
jdsnook
Last edited by jdsnook on 18 Apr 2020, 23:11, edited 2 times in total.
jdsnook

Ciccio Bello and Massimo

Post by jdsnook »

Ciccio Bello (AKC Miniature Schnauzer) was 18 moths old and preparing for being a show dog. He was extremely intelligent and sports oriented.

Massimo (AKC Miniature Schnauzer) was Ciccio Bello's protégé, within one week Massimo was totally potty trained, in and out the doggie door and up and down the stairs. with all my Miniature Schnauzers I was very much into obedient commands, not using treats, but patting their chest and saying "Good Boy."

Treats were given as a treat, not because they did something good or were obedient. It just like people, if adults clean the house or cook do they get themselves a treat? No, we usually get a treat for ourselves just because we want one. When we gave ourselves a treat we would give the Boys a treat.
Joseph Snook
drea97
Puppy

Post by drea97 »

I took my dog to veterinary last week. Cookie is a miniature schnauzer and weight 23 lb and she is three year old.