What makes a Standard such a wonderful companion?

Please feel free to introduce yourself and your Schnauzer to the rest of the members of the forum. A photo of your Schnauzer is always appreciated.

Moderators: GaryThomlinson, zeta1454, Dawnspell

Forum rules
Please do not post questions regarding your dog here. This area allows people to introduce themselves and get to know other members of the forum. Any specific issues can be raised in the appropriate section.
DanC
First Name: Dan

What makes a Standard such a wonderful companion?

Post by DanC »

Hello,

New member here.We have a 14 1/2 yr old Miniature Schnauzer that we love. I walk him an hour every day and he still prances like a puppy. But the day will come when I have to make a decision on a new member of our family.

I guess what I'm looking for is a "bigger" mini. I realize that the Standard is a separate breed and not to be regarded as a bigger Mini. I'm not looking for a protection dog, per se, but I do want a dog who can back up his bark if need be--and a Mini can't do that. Of course, I could always get a German Shepherd or a Boxer, but I just love the look of the Schnauzer.

From what I've read on this great forum, the Standard represents a huge investment of time, in terms of physical and mental exercise, training, patience, etc. My mini has been a VERY low maintenance dog, and I feel as if I'm about to embark on a totally different experience. And, to be perfectly honest, I'm not sure if I'm willing to put in that kind of investment in time, unless I think it's worth it.

So that's my question: is the Standard Schnauzer worth the investment of time and attention? What makes them such "wonderful companions" as so many have stated here in the forum?

Thanks!

Dan
zeta1454
First Name: Leigh
Dog #1: Magic
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 20 Apr 2010
Dog #2: Trilby
Born: 15 Mar 2012
Dog #3: Pip
Born: 21 Feb 2014

Re: What makes a Standard such a wonderful companion?

Post by zeta1454 »

Welcome to the Forum, Dan :)

No experience of having standard schnauzers in the family but I have met many and they do seem a wonderful breed but challenging in terms of training. Hopefully someone with knowledge of a standard as family dog will post their thoughts on your question.

Just to say too that, as with every breed or type of dog, the absolutely most important factor is finding the best possible breeder. The knowledge, experience, investment in aiming for good health, good temperament, good conformation in the dogs they breed and the support and advice given to puppy families throughout the lifetime of the dog they have bred is worth so much and so often overlooked when people are seeking a puppy. It really will make a significant difference to how things work out for you in the longterm.
Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. ~Roger Caras

Magic - Silversocks Sharade at Darksprite
Trilby - Darksprite Rosa Bud

https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/C ... 916994967/
jacdales
First Name: Jackie
Dog #1: Hamish
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 28 May 2013
Dog #2: Suzi
Born: 13 Jun 2017
Dog #3: mahri
Born: 20 May 2006

Post by jacdales »

The dogs trust Ballymena has two standards looking for a home

https://www.dogstrust.org.uk/rehoming/d ... size=small

Find out more >

Home Our centresBallymena (Northern Ireland)Pixie
Pixie
I'm looking for a new home...
About Pixie
Centre: Ballymena (Northern Ireland) Breed: Schnauzer: Standard Age: 2 to 5 Years Sex: Female
Pixie is a shy little girl who came into us with her sister Poppy, when she does get to know you she loves her cuddles and adores sitting on your knee and watching the world go by with you.

Type of home needed
Pixie is looking for an understanding home either with her sister Poppy or another confident dog to help build her confidence. She will need someone who is willing to carry on all her basic training and will need someone at home a large part of the day to help with house training and to help her settle into her new home.
Oscar 12345
First Name: Julie
Dog #1: Oscar RIP Sweety
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 21 Dec 2002
Dog #2: Otto
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 04 Jul 2017

Post by Oscar 12345 »

I might be wrong Jackie but they look a lot like minis to me. They often get the titles muddled.
Man cannot survive with wine alone...
we also need a schnauzer.