Hii there, new to forums in general!

Please feel free to introduce yourself and your Schnauzer to the rest of the members of the forum. A photo of your Schnauzer is always appreciated.

Moderators: GaryThomlinson, zeta1454, Dawnspell

Forum rules
Please do not post questions regarding your dog here. This area allows people to introduce themselves and get to know other members of the forum. Any specific issues can be raised in the appropriate section.
Katrina+
First Name: Katrina

Hii there, new to forums in general!

Post by Katrina+ »

Hi there, this is a first time I’ve ever posted on a forum before!
So I’m new here and hoping to tap into this groups knowledge! I lost my 4 legged bestie last year and well I’m sure you can imagine the house isn’t the same anymore. He wasn’t a schnauzer he was a bull dog, great for cuddles not so great for walks! But after 8 years he has left a whopping great hole in our lives and hearts.
I’ve been a fan of schnauzers for as long as I can remember and decided I am ready to bring a new pooch into my life... this time one that can join me on my daily walks and longer weekend walks!
With that in mind I hoped you could point me in the direction of a good breeder, I’m not in a rush as I know to find the one it may take a while, I’ve periodically checked the KC website however the one breeder I contacted never returned my call/ email it would be nice to be able to build up a rapport with my future pup
Any advice would be appreciated 😄🐶
Should have mentioned I’m in the West Yorkshire region 😂
zeta1454
First Name: Leigh
Dog #1: Magic
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 20 Apr 2010
Dog #2: Trilby
Born: 15 Mar 2012
Dog #3: Pip
Born: 21 Feb 2014

Re: Hii there, new to forums in general!

Post by zeta1454 »

Hi Katrina and welcome to the Forum :)

Have a browse through the Board Index as there are many topics there which will have advice and information about the schnauzer breed and finding a reputable breeder. I am assuming you are looking for a miniature schnauzer but, if not, the same guidance re finding a good breeder will apply but it may take much longer to find a pup as both standard and giant schnauzers are far fewer in number than minis.

You can receive recommendations of specific breeders by private message or email but not on the open Forum. Do fully research any recommendations you may get as you do need to be absolutely sure you have a reputable breeder and that you are confident in their breeding protocols and will fully support you with advice and information if needed, over the years after you adopt a puppy from them. There are several detailed topics on the Forum offering advice on what to look for from a reputable breeder if you check out the Board Index.

I would recommend initially checking the Assured Breeder list on the Kennel Club website for breeders in the area you are are prepared to travel to. It is always best to travel for a reputable breeder than compromise on the quality of care just to get a puppy locally. Yorkshire does have some excellent breeders but also some less reputable so do check them out yourself fully.

This is the link to the ABS members on the Kennel Club website:

https://www.thekennelclub.org.uk/search ... rest=False

Do be aware that many good breeders did put their breeding plans on hold during the last year due to the COVID-19 restrictions and so there were far fewer well bred pups of all breeds available and some breeders were inundated with requests for puppies more than they were able to fully reply to and when they had no litters even planned until things improved generally. Although some may have restarted breeding, they are likely to have waiting lists from the past 12 months and therefore it could still mean quite a wait. You are best finding a breeder or several breeders who you can trust and feel confident in and trying to get on their waiting lists for the time that they do breed which will also give you the opportunity to get to know them, their dogs and their breeding over the months ahead if only via websites, social media or email. Once human contact is re-established in this country as it once was and dog events and breed club events return, you should have the opportunity to meet breeders face to face, talk to them and meet their dogs. This is by far the best way to decide if you are confident about trusting the breeder you are looking to source a puppy from :)
Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. ~Roger Caras

Magic - Silversocks Sharade at Darksprite
Trilby - Darksprite Rosa Bud

https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/C ... 916994967/
Katrina+
First Name: Katrina

Re: Hii there, new to forums in general!

Post by Katrina+ »

Thank you for your reply Zeta great advice 😄