Hi New Member

Please feel free to introduce yourself and your Schnauzer to the rest of the members of the forum. A photo of your Schnauzer is always appreciated.

Moderators: GaryThomlinson, zeta1454, Dawnspell

Forum rules
Please do not post questions regarding your dog here. This area allows people to introduce themselves and get to know other members of the forum. Any specific issues can be raised in the appropriate section.
LarW
First Name: Larry

Hi New Member

Post by LarW »

Hi
Long time lurker, first time post.
We have a 19 month old mini called Bertie. First dog we've had and he's been loads of fun. Just a bit vocal still and the recall is not always great. We still have hopes he will improve. :ympray:

zeta1454
First Name: Leigh
Dog #1: Magic
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 20 Apr 2010
Dog #2: Trilby
Born: 15 Mar 2012
Dog #3: Pip
Born: 21 Feb 2014

Re: Hi New Member

Post by zeta1454 »

Welcome to the Forum :)

Lovely photo of Bertie :o3
Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. ~Roger Caras

Magic - Silversocks Sharade at Darksprite
Trilby - Darksprite Rosa Bud

https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/C ... 916994967/
Schnauzerluv
First Name: Kat
Dog #1: Ozzy
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 30 Jul 2020
Dog #2: Lily
is a: Black Mini Bitch
Born: 12 Aug 2022

Re: Hi New Member

Post by Schnauzerluv »

Welcome Bertie and owner! Bertie is a real cutie!

Yes mini schnauzers are quite vocal by default. This is my 3rd mini (Ozzy) and controlling his vocals was something I knew I'd have to nip in the bud.

I took this attitude, don't know if it will help you, but I hope it can. There is a time to bark and a time to stop (not to carry on). Barking is part of a dog's communication, I don't restrict barking all together as Ozzy is just warning me of something or telling me is uncomfortable with something.

I awknowledge the stimulus and tell him it's ok and what it is, there's no reason to carry on. This goes for something he sees or hears. If a sound gets his attention like sirens, I tell him "Ozzy hears it" just to awknowledge that he does before he has to bark at them. I tell him they are sirens. When someone or with a dog is passing by the house, I show Ozzy (in the window) and tell him "good boy just watch". I find if you awknowledge the stimulus BEFORE he reacts, I have a calmer pup and also he is happy to please me for remaining calm.

If he's uncomfortable with something such as greeting another dog in the beginning as a pup, I respect that and let him know I have his back and give him an out. If I'm trying to get him not to carry on barking, I put my finger to my mouth (as a shhhhh motion) and when he is looking at me being quiet, he gets a treat.

For recall, it's practice practice practice. Obeying recall gets prime treat and a party EVERY time. If I don't think I will succeed in getting a recall (say he is chasing a squirrel), I won't use it. I want him to succeed EVERY time and know that I really mean it when I recall. It's something that could very well save his life (running into traffic ect).

Not saying it will work for Bertie, but I hope it helps a little. And I'm sure the awesome other members here have more input for you too ☺