Canine behaviorist new to the forum

Please feel free to introduce yourself and your Schnauzer to the rest of the members of the forum. A photo of your Schnauzer is always appreciated.

Moderators: GaryThomlinson, zeta1454, Dawnspell

Forum rules
Please do not post questions regarding your dog here. This area allows people to introduce themselves and get to know other members of the forum. Any specific issues can be raised in the appropriate section.
Canine Behaviorist
First Name: Raphael

Canine behaviorist new to the forum

Post by Canine Behaviorist »

Hello! I m a canine behaviorist with a little over 10 years of experience, and I am currently taking my time to find a great dog for my family. I owned a schnauzer when I was a boy and I currently have a few mini schnauzers ans a giant one as clients. I was just searching for information about the breed to show my wife when I stumbled upon this forum.
I was very sad to see the big problem in the section mini schnauzers and kids concerning lack of information and I wanted to provide some insight. That s why I joined the forum :) if you have any questions regarding behavior, feel free to ask ;)
Dawnspell
First Name: Alison
Dog #1: Barney RIP 8/3/19
is a: White Mini Dog
Born: 06 Feb 2013
Dog #2: Jasper
is a: White Mini Dog
Born: 25 Apr 2019

Re: Canine behaviorist new to the forum

Post by Dawnspell »

Hi and welcome.
I'm still working with Jasper who just finds the world and life exciting :)) but sometimes just a bit overwhelming. He's not comfortable around children they're just too unpredictable for him
Our first family dog
Barney - Pocketpark Biali Eyebright 6/2/13 - 8/3/19 Gone too soon
Motto for owners who groom their own Schnauzers -"Never mind it'll soon grow back"
Schnauzerluv
First Name: Kat
Dog #1: Ozzy
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 30 Jul 2020
Dog #2: Lily
is a: Black Mini Bitch
Born: 12 Aug 2022

Re: Canine behaviorist new to the forum

Post by Schnauzerluv »

Hi welcome, I'm excited to have you here! I certainly have a lot of questions about behaviour, or at least I'm very interested. Are you considering a mini schnauzer for a family pet? I have had mini schnauzers since I was a young girl, got 2 when I got married and we just welcomed our 3rd mini pup in September 2020. So you can say I'm bias toward schnauzers, I just LOVE them so much!

With our pup Ozzy, I am trying to acquaint him to all types/kinds of people, young and old, people wearing hats, carrying unbrellas, skateboarding, using walkers, yard equipment, all of it. He was very shy and prudent of EVERYONE at first, but now (after a lot of work socializing), he has gotten a lot better with well, everyone. He is not overly friendly but acknowledges people and is friendly (touches hands) when I tell him "go see". He tends to want to play with people he meets.

I never had issues with any of my other past minis either, we got my 1st mini when I was a child myself. I believe it really depends on socialization, or it could be I'm still a bit childish myself 🙃 I do want to keep it fun!