Member With Cancer Rehoming Mini

Please feel free to introduce yourself and your Schnauzer to the rest of the members of the forum. A photo of your Schnauzer is always appreciated.

Moderators: GaryThomlinson, zeta1454, Dawnspell

Forum rules
Please do not post questions regarding your dog here. This area allows people to introduce themselves and get to know other members of the forum. Any specific issues can be raised in the appropriate section.
donsabi
Puppy
First Name: don

Member With Cancer Rehoming Mini

Post by donsabi »

I am not a new member but I wanted post this on a forum that was read recently.
I have had dogs all my life and the last three were mini schnauzer. I feel in love with the breed from the start. I am now pushing 80 and always provided top care for any animal in my keep. Recently I was dx'ed with lung cancer which has metalized in my brain. My Oncologist told me that with my cancer I could go blind, be immobile, or die without warning. I love my black/sliver Missy like my child but I live alone with her and anything that would happened to me would result in a terrible situation for her.
I decided to rehome her and thankfully the local Schnauzer Rescue found and goodhearted gal who till take her.
Now I must cope with giving her up. I know it is the right thing to do and must be done, but then why does it hurt so much?
Sunday I will be taking to meet her hew family. Honestly I a dreading the trip home in an empty car without my girl. All Missy's possessions are going with her leaving nothing of hers in my house.
If anyone has insight on the subject I surely would appreciate reading it.

Thank you
Dawnspell
First Name: Alison
Dog #1: Barney RIP 8/3/19
is a: White Mini Dog
Born: 06 Feb 2013
Dog #2: Jasper
is a: White Mini Dog
Born: 25 Apr 2019

Re: Member With Cancer Rehoming Mini

Post by Dawnspell »

Oh my word I cant even begin to imagine what youre going through. The fact that you are prioritising the welfare of your girl when you have such a lot on your plate says how much you care about her.

Isnt there someway it can be a transitioned rehome, so you both have joint care while you are still able to care for her ?
Our first family dog
Barney - Pocketpark Biali Eyebright 6/2/13 - 8/3/19 Gone too soon
Motto for owners who groom their own Schnauzers -"Never mind it'll soon grow back"
Oscar 12345
First Name: Julie
Dog #1: Oscar RIP Sweety
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 21 Dec 2002
Dog #2: Otto
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 04 Jul 2017

Post by Oscar 12345 »

Oh my goodness Don, my heart goes out to you. That is an amazing thing you are doing and I am so sorry for what you are going through. I only hope that in your position I could be that strong and put my dog's welfare and future happiness ahead of my own. I am sure that the new carers of Missy will send regular photos if you ask. That would make me feel better seeing that she has settled well. I do know of the same situation happening. An elderly neighbour had a Westie and she couldn't look after her any more. Another lady from the village adopted her and her original owner used to watch them walking out of her window and it gave her great comfort. They also used to visit, my first reaction would have been to say that might be a mistake as it's confusing for the dog and the dog might not want to leave but that's not what happened. The Westie has happy to visit and happy to trot home with his new owner as if he knew that it wasn't possible to stay. It might be possible for you to say hello from time to time. I am sure the action you are taking will stop any stress/worry about what would happen to Missy if things were taken outside of your control so at least you can focus on you and not have that worry. Wishing you all the very best.
Man cannot survive with wine alone...
we also need a schnauzer.
donsabi
Puppy

Post by donsabi »

Thank you all for you kind words. I am in eastern TN and the gracious woman who is giving her a new home is in central TN. She is a blessing indeed. What I didn't mention that Missy is 8 years old and in Dec2020 was dx'ed with diabetes and put on Vetsulin. In April, just before went into the hospital, Missy lost her vision. Missy adjusted very well to her medical condidtion. Finding a new home for her was almost impossible. Thankfully a Schnauzer Rescue came to our rescue and found this wonderful caring soul.
I know I am doing what is right but I have never had to face that situation. I it will take time to adjust to having an empty house, no feedings, no treats, no walks, and the loss of a touch of a dog, especially a schnauzer.
I reached out here in the hopes of gaining some insight from someone who had been in similar circumstances.
Please know that your posts are very reassuring and I appreciate your words.
Thank you
donsabi
Puppy

Post by donsabi »

This Missy.

donsabi
Puppy

Post by donsabi »

The silver/white male on boat was Luke and my first schnauzer.

The black/silver was my second, Mark.

zeta1454
First Name: Leigh
Dog #1: Magic
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 20 Apr 2010
Dog #2: Trilby
Born: 15 Mar 2012
Dog #3: Pip
Born: 21 Feb 2014

Post by zeta1454 »

Hello Don and I do add my condolences to those above at the heart-rending decision you are having to make as regards Missy. I cannot offer much more in the way of insight to help you bear this loss but hope that the kind lady who has offered Missy a home will keep in touch with you as to how she is doing and photos of her in her new home so you can know she is happy and well cared for.

We re-homed a mini schnauzer many years ago (also called Missy) from her breeder who could no longer keep her and we were able to travel back periodically to visit her, taking Missy along with us. She was happy to see her former home but always wanted to come back with us, having settled well in our family. I mention it as a possibility but do understand that even if you could visit her or the new owner could bring her to see you, the pain of separation may be too much if it is repeated after visits?

Would the schnauzer rescue who helped with the re-homing or another dog organisation be able to offer you the possibility of volunteering to walk or pet sit a dog in need so you could have the comfort of spending time with a dog, even though it is quite different from living with a schnauzer in your home. There are also some organisations like Pets As Therapy in the U.K. and in the USA which offer older people who are house-bound or unwell the chance to have a volunteer visitor bring a dog for visits - it might be worth checking online or locally to see if there is anything similar where you live. Do you have any friends or relatives with dogs who live near enough that you could spend time with them or they could visit you? I do understand that these suggestions would not be ways of easing the heart-ache and loss of Missy from your home but just being with a dog or dogs can be some comfort when you lose a canine family member for whatever reason.

Thank you for sharing your photos of your schnauzers too. Thinking of you and hope you can find a way to ease the pain of separation from Missy.
Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. ~Roger Caras

Magic - Silversocks Sharade at Darksprite
Trilby - Darksprite Rosa Bud

https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/C ... 916994967/
Oscar 12345
First Name: Julie
Dog #1: Oscar RIP Sweety
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 21 Dec 2002
Dog #2: Otto
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 04 Jul 2017

Post by Oscar 12345 »

Beautiful photos and schnauzers, thanks for sharing them Don.
Man cannot survive with wine alone...
we also need a schnauzer.