Striping stone

Our Schnauzers do need to be groomed regularly and they truly are transformed after a visit to the groomer. Share your before & after Schnauzer grooming photos here.
Denise
Puppy
First Name: Denise
Dog #1: Hercules
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 27 Sep 1915

Striping stone

Post by Denise »

Hello all.i am new to schnauzer world with my little guy Hercules.He is 8 months .iv brought him to groomers once and didn't like the job,since then iv been grooming myself.i just use scissore and thining scissores.i have bought chippers but afraid to use them incase I mess up.my queston is can anyone recommend striping stone iv no Idia what it is and could I use it with my wee fella.any advice would be great.thank you Image
Dawnspell
First Name: Alison
Dog #1: Barney RIP 8/3/19
is a: White Mini Dog
Born: 06 Feb 2013
Dog #2: Jasper
is a: White Mini Dog
Born: 25 Apr 2019

Re: Striping stone

Post by Dawnspell »

You generally use a stripping stone for getting undercoat out if your dog is stripped rather than clipped.

Have you been using scissors and thinning scissors on his jacket or just for keeping him trimmed around his face ? If you give him a good comb through so no knots, give him a bath and dry. You could start by using your clippers with the longest comb attached and run it in the direction his coat grows you wont take too much off and it will build your confidence to go shorter next time :)

Don't worry about messing up it grows back quick especially when puppies. Barney has a small bald patch on his bum this week I'd forgotten I'd taken off the comb and he got grade 0 :ymblushing: He doesn't mind =))

He's a lovely cuddly looking boy :x
Our first family dog
Barney - Pocketpark Biali Eyebright 6/2/13 - 8/3/19 Gone too soon
Motto for owners who groom their own Schnauzers -"Never mind it'll soon grow back"
FritzandFinley
Puppy
First Name: FritzandFinley

Post by FritzandFinley »

I've been using a stripping stone on Finley ever since I was introduced to it by the breeder. It's so therapeutic! Finley seems to look forward to it: as soon as I pull out the small side table, he stops what he's doing and places his front paws on the edge so I could give him a leg up :)) I tell him to 'chill' (lie on his side) and in the beginning, I plied him with treats, but less often now. Sometimes he even falls asleep during his stone rub. Do try it, Denise, it's great 1:1 time with your puppy and very relaxing for you.
Maty
First Name: Kate
Dog #1: Isaura Lucidus
Born: 10 Aug 2011
Dog #2: Darksprite Finn Mac
Born: 17 Mar 2013

Post by Maty »

I use this on Creggan,

http://www.groomers-online.com/product. ... dark-coats" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

He loves lying there while I use this or while I am hand stripping the longer hairs!
Maty

Rodders the Mini Pup, born 10/08/11, came home on 09/10/11
Creggan the Mini Pup, born 17/03/13, came home on 01/06/13

Proud of my Scottish Heritage
Robin black mini
First Name: Jo
Dog #1: Robin
is a: Black Mini Bitch
Born: 13 Dec 2014
Dog #2: Stanley st poodle
Born: 24 Nov 2012

Post by Robin black mini »

hi Denise.I also use the same stone as Maty and as well as removing undercoat,it's great to get out the coat on the chest area,where the dog is more sensitive.
I cut the stone into strips of 1.5 inches long..it is easier to handle on a small dog...when it goes dull,I shave the edge so it is fresh and you get more use from it.
I like using the stone after I've stripped coat as it removes the odd stray hair and you get a nice finish on the coat.
you have to gently pull the skin forward,to keep it taut...this lifts the top coat and allows better access to the undercoat.
don't overwork an area or the skin will become sore.
On a heavy coat I have found the shedding blade,green handle(groomers online tools) very good to get a lot of undercoat out.
for the pup in this pic I'd start with the shedding blade ,combing through the coat and it will help the wire to come in. and take some bulk out of the coat.You could also use a coarse stripping knife ,like a comb,and card the coat to pull out the old hair...your pup looks ready for this and you should be able to pull out a lot of dead coat..
Denise,have you decided which method you are going to use on your pup? stripping is not hard but does require regular attention..whereas clipping gets an instant result but you will have a softer,paler coat at the end.
Denise
Puppy
First Name: Denise
Dog #1: Hercules
Born: 27 Sep 1915

Post by Denise »

Thank you for getting back to me.i been looking in to hand stripping and I don't think it's for me.i pluck Hercules ear fur but I don't think I could do his wee body.i think I'll try the clippers.i brush my little guy a few times a day!honest I love it I find it very therapeutic and I have a great bond with him :x Dawnspell I use the sicssors and thining sicssors on his coat.i think iam ready to use the clippers.can someone tell me if I would still use a stripping stone on his coat after I clip him-iam sorry to ask maybe such a silly queston but iv no Idia what to do for the best.I Don't want a show dog just a family pet.and I don't want to mess up my little fellas fur..thank you all again :ymhug:
Maty
First Name: Kate
Dog #1: Isaura Lucidus
Born: 10 Aug 2011
Dog #2: Darksprite Finn Mac
Born: 17 Mar 2013

Post by Maty »

If you want to go down the clipping route google 'schnauzer grooming chart' and you will get some great images to follow, I have them laminated and hanging from my grooming table. I refer to them often when clipping Rodders ;)
Maty

Rodders the Mini Pup, born 10/08/11, came home on 09/10/11
Creggan the Mini Pup, born 17/03/13, came home on 01/06/13

Proud of my Scottish Heritage