Ears

The Schnauzer puppy stage goes by so quickly, so make sure you get lots of pictures and make sure that you share them with the rest of us. Bristle noses, floppy ears and wagging tails are all welcome.
Katnig
Puppy
First Name: Kath

Ears

Post by Katnig »

I have a mini puppy that's 6 months old. I tried pulling the fur from inside his ears but he won't let's me and keeps turning his head all the time! Even the groomer can't keep his head still. Is it imperative to do this? . I clean inside his ears with a wet wipe every day?
zeta1454
First Name: Leigh
Dog #1: Magic
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 20 Apr 2010
Dog #2: Trilby
Born: 15 Mar 2012
Dog #3: Pip
Born: 21 Feb 2014

Re: Ears

Post by zeta1454 »

Mini schnauzers often have a lot of hair inside their ears and, if that is the case, you really will have to get him used to having the ear hairs plucked out. The ear cavity can become blocked with wax, yeast infections can occur or ear mites if the ears are not kept clear.

Cleaning with a wet wipe or similar may help remove some wax and debris but will not help if the ear is blocked with hair.

Ear forceps are the best tool to use for the hair removal:
http://www.groomers-online.com/groomers ... rceps-p776" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And Thornit is a good product to help keep the ears fresh smelling and clean:
http://www.thornitearpowder.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Really your puppy's breeder should have started at least some ear cleaning before he left them to get him used to having his ears touched and groomed. At six months old, you will have a much harder job getting him used to having the ears groomed and cleaned properly. You will have to try and train him every day, several times a day, to accepting having his ears touched inside and remove just one hair from each to start with, building up gradually and rewarding him with a treat for each successful ear plucking. If you can get him expecting a reward for keeping still and letting you do this, it should eventually mean that you and/ or the groomer should be able to keep his ear hair from becoming too thick. It will take time and patience though :)
Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. ~Roger Caras

Magic - Silversocks Sharade at Darksprite
Trilby - Darksprite Rosa Bud

https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/C ... 916994967/
Dawnspell
First Name: Alison
Dog #1: Barney RIP 8/3/19
is a: White Mini Dog
Born: 06 Feb 2013
Dog #2: Jasper
is a: White Mini Dog
Born: 25 Apr 2019

Post by Dawnspell »

A lot of it depends on how hairy the ears are as well. Some seem to have half a forest growing out others don't. I asked my vet about ear plucking and he advised in Barneys case not to pluck. He's of the opinion that too much ear plucking can cause inflammation and ear infections.

I shave the inside of the ear leather to the skin every 2 weeks and use a mini trimmer and blunt nosed scissors to remove the hair around the ear canal and trim the long hairs coming out. I also use otodex occasionally to clean the ears out.

Barney hasn't got really hairy ears so this has worked for him. If your has and you think they need plucking then do as Leigh says and only try to do one hair occasionally to avoid making the ears sore.
Our first family dog
Barney - Pocketpark Biali Eyebright 6/2/13 - 8/3/19 Gone too soon
Motto for owners who groom their own Schnauzers -"Never mind it'll soon grow back"
Katnig
Puppy
First Name: Kath

Post by Katnig »

Thanks for the info - I'll persevere!