Fear of beeping microwave

Had enough of your Schnauzer for one day. Then sit back, relax and put your feet up. You can let off a little steam here about things unrelated to your four-legged schnauzer.
carolinh
First Name: caroline
Dog #1: Daisy
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Dog #2: May
is a: B/S Mini Bitch

Fear of beeping microwave

Post by carolinh »

Hi,
May has become scared of microwave beeps...and since our microwave broke last week when a mug got dropped on it, I'm looking for a new one which does not beep...does anyone know where I can find one please? .which make? I've drawn a blank so far...all i know is all Samsung's beep as their customer service told me!
Caroline
schnauzer
First Name: Christine
Dog #1: Suzi (RIP) 13/4/17
Born: 15 May 2004
Dog #2: Gino/Siglette Shadow
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 09 May 2017

Re: Fear of beeping microwave

Post by schnauzer »

Think you wil find that they will all beep. My last girl didn't like when my Bosch washing machine beeped thankfully we found that the beeping could be switched off. How old is May?

Welcome to the group
Christine & Gino (Siglette Shadow (born 9/5/17 ---

Suzi (15/5/04---13/4/17) (Sugarbabe) RIP loved you to the moon & back, miss you so so much precious girl
Robin black mini
First Name: Jo
Dog #1: Robin
is a: Black Mini Bitch
Born: 13 Dec 2014
Dog #2: Stanley st poodle
Born: 24 Nov 2012

Post by Robin black mini »

Robin black mini
First Name: Jo
Dog #1: Robin
is a: Black Mini Bitch
Born: 13 Dec 2014
Dog #2: Stanley st poodle
Born: 24 Nov 2012

Post by Robin black mini »

Me again...I've been thinking about your dog...for me fear issues and phobias are something I've encountered with my first ST poodle..she hated storms,thunder would start her shaking,in the mall a slam of a metal safety door would have her stopped in her tracks and wanting to exit the building...all her phobias were noise related..I found melantonin at night got her through the firework season..and Bach rescue remedy did help when the hunters here were shooting in the fields behind out house...
The thing is to try to carry on and get the dog to accept that life happens.I carried treats for distraction,and in your dogs case I would try throwing a treat down on the floor when the beeping starts on a microwave etc..try to reassociate the beep with a treat..but don't over think it and be matter of fact. You could keep a treat jar beside the microwave ..
A few weeks ago in the market ,during a rain storm I had my two with me as usual...a huge tent blew down in front of us...my poodle nearly fell over with shock...my mini schnauzer just shrugged..they are so different...to compound the poodles horror people statrted putting up umbrella after umbrella...whoosh whoosh..he wanted OUT of the market...schnauzer is thinking for goodness sakes ,whatever is the matter..lol
The next week it rained again..my choices were to leave him at home or go again....I loaded up with treats and we went again...he was hesitant but I rewarded any normal behavior and we had a good trip...the next week I had my normal dog back again...he is not a noise phobic dog,but after having lived with one for years I wanted to nip this behavior in the bud..
I would start working with your dog,getting them used to odd noises...try ripping Velcro apart for example,that always gets a response in this type of dog etc...hopefully you can overcome the noise aversion rather than adapting many years of your life ahead always avoiding "setting the dog off".
mikegoodson1
First Name: Mike
Dog #1: Oscar
is a: Black Mini Dog
Born: 17 Oct 2015
Dog #2: Sasha
Born: 23 Sep 2017

Post by mikegoodson1 »

Hi Jo,

I love that description of your mini, shrugging her shoulders as if to say "what's the problem".....they are generally like that aren't they. Nothing seems to really phase my Oscar although Sasha is a little more skittish (not sure that's the right word but you know what I mean). Hopefully she will pick up the 'easy' attitude from Oscar in time.

But like I said, loved your description, I could picture the 'shrug' in my head :)

Mike
Schnauzer Sam
First Name: Sam
Dog #1: Rosie
Born: 06 Jul 2017
Dog #2: Edie
Born: 11 Jun 2018

Post by Schnauzer Sam »

Do you know that on the Dog Trust website there is free access to "scary noises" that you can play to get you dog used to noises. There are fireworks, thunder, drills, mopeds etc. They aren't named however so I don't know if one of the noises is a microwave. We used it as Rosie was terrified of the vacuum cleaner.

The idea is that you play it in the background while you play with your dog and over time you increase the volume until they are accepting of the noise.

Should you be interested the link is here. https://www.dogstrust.org.uk/help-advic ... y-for-pets
Country Girl at Heart (Molly) 8 April 2003 - 22 December 2018

You're never alone when you own a schnauzer

https://www.facebook.com/pg/Rosie-and-E ... 872588622/
carolinh
First Name: caroline
Dog #1: Daisy
Dog #2: May

Post by carolinh »

Thank you all for your responses...a lot of helpful stuff in there.
In the end I went to Currys, and asked them. They had no answer, however, I checked every single microwave on their shelves, and bought the one that had a mute button on the front (turned out to be a hotpoint)...didn't care what else it did.
We find that noises in general bother her, like the poodle mentioned above...she's wary of the noise of clippers, or bleeping when Wimbledon tennis is on...and she has to put up with that....but it seems so stupid that devices are built with un neccessary bleeps!...I also like the idea of dogs trust scary noises.
May is not as bad as she used to be, but she is a gentle soul!
Caroline