Kennel names

Had enough of your Schnauzer for one day. Then sit back, relax and put your feet up. You can let off a little steam here about things unrelated to your four-legged schnauzer.
Donald
First Name: Donald
Dog #1: Chester
is a: Black Giant Dog
Born: 01 Mar 2012

Re: Kennel names

Post by Donald »

Smarties wrote:Umm, hello, newbie here :) (I've done an intro on the New Members thread - not got my puppy yet as you can probably tell)
This is a foreign language to me. Can someone explain?! Does everyone have one of these?
Not necessarily. Swampy has the KC stuff but as he's a rehome I have no clue what they are. I could have asked the breeder (Who I've spoken to on the phone once - he's a rescue) but as I've had his breeding bits chopped off it is immaterial. And it doesn't matter to me though I'd recommend his breeder to anyone. if I knew anything other than the breeder's email address and phone number. I could find out, but it isn't important to me. Curiosity is the only reason I'd want to find out - it would make exactly zero difference to my life with him. Seriously, the person that bred Swampy is one of the good guys.

Scroungehound has it too - but I got her from a commercial large-scale breeder (She was one of their breeding stock) when she was 5 - so I've no idea at all what her formal name is. I know what she was shown under - which is probably the same as her formal name (only because someone here PM'd me around the time she came to stay with me) six years ago. Her breeding bits are gone too - so again I don't care. Her temperament is utterly wrong for the breed - but she's fantastic with the psychiatric patients I work with. She is exactly what I asked for when the wonderful Fizz (Foxwood Carpe Diem) died completely unexpectedly and I couldn't exist without another giant.

Unless you are showing them, none of this matters at all.

Or intend to breed from them - in which case check your contract with the breeder very carefully. Most don't permit this - for good reason.

And if you don't know what those reasons are, you shouldn't be breeding.
Maty
First Name: Kate
Dog #1: Isaura Lucidus
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 10 Aug 2011
Dog #2: Darksprite Finn Mac
Born: 17 Mar 2013

Post by Maty »

Smarties wrote:Umm, hello, newbie here :) (I've done an intro on the New Members thread - not got my puppy yet as you can probably tell)
This is a foreign language to me. Can someone explain?! Does everyone have one of these?
Any UK Dog from a KC Registered breeder will have one, other country's do things differently. And then they have a pet name too. If you show, you show under the KC name rather than the pet name.

The first bit is the Kennel Name Affix so Creggan (Pet name) is Darksprite (Kennel Name Affix) Finn Mac Cool (Kennel Club name). The litter was born on St Patrick's Day so they all had names with Irish connections.
Maty

Rodders the Mini Pup, born 10/08/11, came home on 09/10/11
Creggan the Mini Pup, born 17/03/13, came home on 01/06/13

Proud of my Scottish Heritage
Parents of Roxy
First Name: Sue
Dog #1: Roxy
is a: P/S Std Bitch
Born: 04 Nov 2008

Post by Parents of Roxy »

Roxy is Miccosukees Merry-Go-Round.
Schnauzer loving family to Roxy our standard born 4/11/08
and Toby our adorable p&s mini - now over the Rainbow Bridge - missed and never forgotten.
dogsbody74
First Name: babs
Dog #1: Shadow
is a: Black Mini Bitch
Born: 0- 0-1970

Post by dogsbody74 »

I have had my registered prefix "Petersden" ever since I registered it back in the late fifties. That means that all pups I register have the prefix "Petersden" on. It is a way of recognising immediately who the breeder is. When I entered for shows the dogs names were all prefixed with "Petersden" ie:

Petersden Sweet Morag. Petersden None so Pretty. etc etc. So cairn terriers were all Petersden as were the Mini Schnauzers. It is something to be proud of as you try to breed quality stock.
zeta1454
First Name: Leigh
Dog #1: Magic
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 20 Apr 2010
Dog #2: Trilby
Born: 15 Mar 2012
Dog #3: Pip
Born: 21 Feb 2014

Post by zeta1454 »

As stated above not everyone will have a kennel name but if they are Kennel Club registered they should have some kind of affix. If the puppies have come from a breeder who has decided not to have their own breeder's 'signature' or affix the Kennel Club can assign one. For a while these Kennel Club affixes began with 'Ken' e.g. 'Kenmill' or 'Kentee'.

Apart from the fact that with a puppy (not necessarily the case with a re-home or rescue) a Kennel name will provide some reassurance the puppy has been Kennel Club registered it does now offer a prospective buyer the opportunity to check online such details as whether the parents have been eye tested, how many litters dogs have sired or bitches have whelped, names of siblings and the pedigree. All these details are very useful to know most particularly the eye testing as this is crucial for the health of the puppies. Even if the actual parents of a puppy have been eye tested clear, if a sibling of a parent has been tested and found to be affected by a congenital eye condition it highlights the fact that dogs in that line are carriers of the gene that cause eye disease.

To access this and loads of other useful information I would recommend registering with MyKC at the website address below - it is definitely worthwhile:
https://www.mykc.org.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The Kennel Club are actually in the process also of totally revamping their own website - it looks much better than the current one :)
Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. ~Roger Caras

Magic - Silversocks Sharade at Darksprite
Trilby - Darksprite Rosa Bud

https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/C ... 916994967/
hhair13
Puppy
First Name: Hayley
Dog #1: Oscar
Born: 17 May 2010
Dog #2: Rosie
Born: 30 Nov 2010

Post by hhair13 »

Hi I'm new to the forum. I have two mini schnauzers.
Oscar - Tyrone Kiss
Rosie - Montrose of the sea

Rosie has just had her second litter and we are currently going through the stage of picking KC names
Smarties
First Name: Clare
Dog #1: Poppy
Born: 04 Jul 2013

Post by Smarties »

Thanks for the explanations everyone! So, if I get a puppy from the litter I'm visiting this weekend, it will have such a name too, I presume, as the breeder is Assured KC.

I will register on the KC website, thanks for the suggestion Zeta.

Loving the names!
dogsbody74
First Name: babs
Dog #1: Shadow
Born: 0- 0-1970

Post by dogsbody74 »

I wish Knew how good the assured breeder scheme is. are breeders inspected?
Maty
First Name: Kate
Dog #1: Isaura Lucidus
Born: 10 Aug 2011
Dog #2: Darksprite Finn Mac
Born: 17 Mar 2013

Post by Maty »

dogsbody74 wrote:I wish Knew how good the assured breeder scheme is. are breeders inspected?
Have a read of this thread, it explains a lot about it.

http://www.schnauzer-forum.co.uk/viewto ... 0&start=45" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Leigh has been brilliant at keeping us all updated :-bd
Maty

Rodders the Mini Pup, born 10/08/11, came home on 09/10/11
Creggan the Mini Pup, born 17/03/13, came home on 01/06/13

Proud of my Scottish Heritage
Caramomo
Site Admin
First Name: Elaine
Dog #1: Cara
Born: 05 Dec 2006
Dog #2: Momo
Born: 14 Aug 2009
Dog #3: Molly
Born: 01 Aug 2010

Post by Caramomo »

When a dog is registered with the kennel club the KC give the dog a unique registration number and in addition to this the dog is given a unique name. It is usually chosen by the breeder, although some breeders let the new owners choose, and can not have been used by any dog of that breed in the past, this is why they are often quite fancy sounding. If the breeder has a KC affix (their brand name in the dog world) this will be the first word in the dogs name if they bred the puppy, so puppy from kennel Schnau will be Schnau Fred or Schnau Sab Out It. The whole name, including affix, can be no more than 24 characters, must be unique to that dog and not contain another registered affix or words like champ, champion, winner, dog etc.

So the short answer to your question would be, yes every Kennel Club registered dog will have one of these names. It will be the name written on your puppies registration certificate (and pedigree if you get one). It is the name used at dog shows and other KC licensed events. If your puppy doesn't have one its not KC registered and you should then be asking the breeder why not, but that's a whole other subject for another thread.

Edited to add, I missed out a page of replies, so I'm a bit late to the party, sorry folks!
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Cara and Mo, two black mini's and Molly a black & white Heinz 57 all served by Elaine, the cook, poop picker, and chief toy thrower.
I live by the Mini Schnauzer code; when in danger or in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!
ZiiPAngelclaws
First Name: Hayley

Post by ZiiPAngelclaws »

thought i added Torsten's but alas puppy brain kicks in again!

anywho, Torsten is "Buffingham Datd Debt"
bilbo
Puppy
First Name: philip
Dog #1: bilbo
Born: 20 Mar 2013

Post by bilbo »

Guinevere wrote:
janek wrote:
Oooh a relation of Arthur. Who is mum and dad?
Dad is Mr Big Bucks and Mum is Toniks Pukka Up. It was actually hearing about how nice your Arthur is, from a mutual friend of ours, that I chose the breeder.
Half brothers then :x
Bilbo's mum is Toniks Pukka Up
Bilbo (Toniks time for you)
lesleyn
First Name: Lesley
Dog #1: Alan
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 09 Mar 2013

Post by lesleyn »

Alan is Cloverbud A piece of cake :)
Andyshea
First Name: Andy

Post by Andyshea »

Watson is Starbound Silver Blaze.

We asked off this name as Silver Blaze is a Sherlock Holmes story narrated by Dr. Watson. All ties in perfectly.
Onico
First Name: Joshua
Dog #1: Tango
is a: Black Mini Dog
Born: 28 Aug 2013

Post by Onico »

Oh I missed this thread :D
Tangos KC name is Karamojo Storm Runner :)