If you use a harness and seatbelt for you dog, please read!

Had enough of your Schnauzer for one day. Then sit back, relax and put your feet up. You can let off a little steam here about things unrelated to your four-legged schnauzer.
riiseni

If you use a harness and seatbelt for you dog, please read!

Post by riiseni »

If you thought it was safe....http://centerforpetsafety.org/research/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Judi Ibbotson
First Name: Judi
Dog #1: Little Gem
is a: Black Mini Bitch
Born: 16 Mar 2011

Re: If you use a harness and seatbelt for you dog, please re

Post by Judi Ibbotson »

It looks as though the dog is safer without any harness type restraint, probable a crate is better or in a hatchback behind the back seat.
Judi & the lovely Little Gem
Claire Farrington
First Name: Claire

Post by Claire Farrington »

Very worrying, glad I have my Safedog crate :-bd
Properly Trained a man can be a dog's best friend

Sydney (Deansgate) gone to the Rainbow Bridge 19/04/2011 - Run free my little man
Jack (Silversocks Spot On) s/p mini born 10/04/2011
Jill (Silversocks Shana) s/p mini born 11/05/2011
Wookie Woo
First Name: Helen
Dog #1: Wookie
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 01 Sep 2009

Post by Wookie Woo »

You just never know what to do for the best do you ?
For years Lucy (cocker sat in the footwell of my car (never had a harness,) she just use to snuggle down & was as good as gold, but Wookie wouldn't stay in the footwell so I got a seat belt harness for use in my car & she sits or lies down on the passenger seat, can't put her in the boot it would be a bit dark & mean :-o (Mx5)
Helen & Gary - owners of "Wookie" (since 11.6.2011)  born 1.9.2009 (Mini Schnauzer)
Previously owned Lucy our lovely cocker spaniel.
http://www.happydogwalksandpetcare.co.uk/
carolinh
First Name: caroline
Dog #1: Daisy
Dog #2: May
is a: B/S Mini Bitch

Post by carolinh »

Thanks...that is very scary isn't it? I wonder if it is the same for small dogs?. I believed harnesses were tested but sounds like not....

caroline
riiseni

Post by riiseni »

carolinh wrote:Thanks...that is very scary isn't it? I wonder if it is the same for small dogs?. I believed harnesses were tested but sounds like not....

caroline
Caroline, I don't know if you watched the videos but all the harnesses on them are different, ie they are testing the harnesses ;)
bazzastephens
First Name: Barry
Dog #1: Toby
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 11 Jun 2012

Post by bazzastephens »

The best thing would be something similar to a baby seat for dogs, facing away from the front, all the videos raises the problem that all harnesses are too loose allowing the dog to get momentum up in the crash, which causes the harness to snap.

That is the reason behind seatbelts locking immediately and on some cars have systems that pull the seatbelt tighter to stop the person moving.
Macy - X Lhaso Apso gone to Rainbow Bridge - March 2012
always in our hearts our little girl
dougietee
First Name: Doug
Dog #1: Honey
Born: 29 Nov 2011

Post by dougietee »

Interesting and slightly worrying, however none of the harnesses in those vids look like the one we use on long journeys. This one:
http://www.racshop.co.uk/travel/pet-tra ... edium.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The whole thing is made from padded seat belt fabric and the seat belt goes through a loop of the fabric on the back of the harness. I suppose it's main weak spot would be the plastic clips used to fasten it (although they also look quite sturdy). Still, I would really like to see it tested and to know whether if it did restrain the dog and prevent them from slamming into the the seats/people in front, that it didn't injure the dog by some other means (strangulation, crushed chest etc.)

I'd like to see that one or similar one tested, and if car harnesses are not a good idea, I'd like to know what is the safest way to transport our furry companions.
floundering about in schnauzer land.
Cat M
First Name: Cat
Dog #1: Lola
Born: 13 Mar 2012
Dog #2: Pixie
Born: 21 Feb 2014

Post by Cat M »

Safedog do a harness that is crash tested.
Claire Farrington
First Name: Claire

Post by Claire Farrington »

http://www.safedog.co.uk/carharnesses.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Properly Trained a man can be a dog's best friend

Sydney (Deansgate) gone to the Rainbow Bridge 19/04/2011 - Run free my little man
Jack (Silversocks Spot On) s/p mini born 10/04/2011
Jill (Silversocks Shana) s/p mini born 11/05/2011
dougietee
First Name: Doug
Dog #1: Honey
Born: 29 Nov 2011

Post by dougietee »

floundering about in schnauzer land.
hart
First Name: odette

Post by hart »

from what i could see it wasn't the harnesses that look unsafe but the seatbelt restaints they were attached to them were far too long!!!! I occasionally use a seatbelt clip that fastens directly into the the housing and is only a few iches long. now i'm no scientist but i don't see how the dog could fly forward that far if restrained by a proper seatbelt clip. Most of the time mine are crated whilst travelling ( i only use their harness and seatbelt system if I'm getting a lift in someone elses vehicle)

we all want to keep our beloved furkids safe and we try the best we can but I don't think we should become paranoid, we can't control everything in life just try our best to minimise the risks.

Happy safe travelling everyone :-bd
Gryff-Nessasmum

Post by Gryff-Nessasmum »

We covered this subject in another post a little while ago.
This post re-inforces for me, that personally speaking, we prefer to carry our dogs in a Safedog crate like Claire. Yes they are expensive, but it was an outlay we were prepared to fund.

Just to mention again that it never ceased to amaze me over a 30 year period, what happens within the interior of a car during a Road Traffic Accident at all different types of speeds, to people, animals and objects. I attended many and the consequences can be devastating and could so easily have been avoided if those involved, had belted up, secured their animals and objects within the car. At frontal impact everything will be thrown forward into the back of the driver's and front seat passenger's body and heads!!

I'm not judging people or trying to be controversial, but please think before you allow your pet to be loose in your car. How many of us see people with dogs on their laps or roaming about the back seat?!!
However you restrain/carry your dog, it will get thrown around, like you, in any type of impact.
hart wrote:we all want to keep our beloved furkids safe and we try the best we can but I don't think we should become paranoid, we can't control everything in life just try our best to minimise the risks.
Exactly ;)

Grahame
mummysnoo
First Name: Frances
Dog #1: Alfie
is a: Black Mini Dog
Born: 09 Oct 2009

Post by mummysnoo »

It doesn't state specifically the name of each harness used, or am I missing it? I use Clix-it which is clipped into the seat belt, and I felt it restrained Alfie sufficently enough, as he just has enough room to lie down in the back seat of the car.
SCHNAUZERS ARE LIKE CHIPS, ONE IS NEVER ENOUGH...........

Alfie my black Mini boy born 9th Oct 2009, my pal, my mentor, my friend.

R.I.P Charlie, Harvey and Bobby. R.I.P Oscar, Alfie's Grandad 15.12.12
carolinh
First Name: caroline
Dog #1: Daisy
Dog #2: May

Post by carolinh »

[quote="carolinh"]Thanks...that is very scary isn't it? I wonder if it is the same for small dogs?. I believed harnesses were tested but sounds like not....

caroline[/quote
Riiseni-thanks for the comment- what I wrote doesn't read how I meant it to....
Oops... Yes I did see the videos...I meant I had assumed harnesses were tested generally (as in three years ago when I bought them!)- and assumed they are a safe item as the vet sells them....obviously not given what you have found.

however- the harness we have has stopped Daisy from ending up in the footwell on a couple of occasions, (heavy breaking required)...but I think the safe dog harnesses look good

Cheers
Caroline