Any breeds your schnauzer doesn't like?

Had enough of your Schnauzer for one day. Then sit back, relax and put your feet up. You can let off a little steam here about things unrelated to your four-legged schnauzer.
Oscar 12345
First Name: Julie
Dog #1: Oscar RIP Sweety
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 21 Dec 2002
Dog #2: Otto
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 04 Jul 2017

Any breeds your schnauzer doesn't like?

Post by Oscar 12345 »

At first I thought it was particular dogs but over time I have come to realise that there are breeds that I know Otto will be very social with and there are others that I know he will be a bit miserable with.

Favourite breeds for Otto are:

Schnauzers all sizes
Pugs
Border Terriers
Dachshunds

Not so liked are:

Black labradors (any other colour fine)
Black working cocker type spaniels or roan coloured springers
Man cannot survive with wine alone...
we also need a schnauzer.
mikegoodson1
First Name: Mike
Dog #1: Oscar
is a: Black Mini Dog
Born: 17 Oct 2015
Dog #2: Sasha
is a: B/S Mini Bitch
Born: 23 Sep 2017

Re: Any breeds your schnauzer doesn't like?

Post by mikegoodson1 »

My two love other Schnauzers (I guess that would be obvious) but like Otto, they also like Dachshunds, really anything the same size as them.

What is really spooky Julie is that Sasha also doesn't like Black Labs, to be honest, any big dog that is black but mainly Labs. She will run up to me, crouched down and sit on my feet, bless her.

Oscar doesn't seem to be phased by any dog to be honest, he will go up and say 'Hi' to anything from a Chihuahua to a Rottie/German Shepherd/Doberman - he just doesn't seem to worry about it :D
Oscar 12345

Post by Oscar 12345 »

That is interesting Mike. Otto will not go towards a black lab just the opposite we normally have to turn around but chocolate labs no problem. My 1st schnauzer Oscar meanwhile was like your Oscar. Used to want to greet every dog no matter how large but the greeting was always preceded by a bark or two. I love getting to understand their strange little ways.
Schnauzer Sam
First Name: Sam
Dog #1: Rosie
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 06 Jul 2017
Dog #2: Edie
Born: 11 Jun 2018

Post by Schnauzer Sam »

Rosie won't greet any dog and prefers to hide behind my legs before having a little sniff - but that's all she's interested in.

Edie however will greet any dog would be willing to off and play with them.

She likes:
Schnauzers, Jack Russells, Dachshunds, Labradors (all colours), Vizsla, Cockapoo

More wary of
Malamute

A couple of nights ago we met a neighbour who owns a black lab on our way out for a walk as she was returning. Rosie went behind my legs to watch and Edie exchanged usual dog greetings with Lily until Lily decided to jump up on me. Edie went for her in a very aggressive way but as soon as the dog jumped down she was fine with it again. I'd like to think she was protecting me but my conclusion is that she was asset guarding her provider.
Country Girl at Heart (Molly) 8 April 2003 - 22 December 2018

You're never alone when you own a schnauzer

https://www.facebook.com/pg/Rosie-and-E ... 872588622/
zeta1454
First Name: Leigh
Dog #1: Magic
Born: 20 Apr 2010
Dog #2: Trilby
Born: 15 Mar 2012
Dog #3: Pip
Born: 21 Feb 2014

Post by zeta1454 »

Our eldest schnauzer, Magic, is very laid back with most other dogs and people although people are her preference over any dog. Her daughter, Trilby, also is people oriented more than dogs, she is comfortable with other schnauzers but not keen on springer spaniels or any breed of dog that is excitable or noisy. Pip is quite self contained and prefers her own space indoors and outside so not interested in meeting other dogs at all although she loves to snuggle with me or my partner.

I think our dogs generally are less concerned about playing with other dogs most likely due to there being so many at home! Magic has a liking for a black Patterdale terrier who lives near us and, despite him being quite hostile to almost every other dog he meets, he is very gentle when he meets Magic. Generally though I would say that black dogs outside of our home are not a favourite (eight of our dogs are black themselves of course :D ). I have read that some dogs can find it harder to read facial signals on a black dog which can make them more uneasy when meeting an unfamiliar black dog but this may be just a myth.

They all have their little quirks and it is fascinating getting to know them even if we can't really understand what is behind their likes and dislikes.
Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. ~Roger Caras

Magic - Silversocks Sharade at Darksprite
Trilby - Darksprite Rosa Bud

https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/C ... 916994967/
Dawnspell
First Name: Alison
Dog #1: Barney RIP 8/3/19
is a: White Mini Dog
Born: 06 Feb 2013
Dog #2: Jasper
Born: 25 Apr 2019

Post by Dawnspell »

Barneys is very dog orientated rather than people, although he doesn't want to play with every dog he does like a good sniff. The ones he always gets excited about are the ones he's known from being a puppy.
His go too breeds are
Schanauzers
Westies
Irish wolfhound
Golden retrievers
Poodle types

Not keen on
Black Labradors hes had a few just turn on him for no reason and views them with caution. I once mentioned this to the vet and he said that's the breed that most other dog owners say their dogs avoid.
Anything too excitable and bouncy.
Our first family dog
Barney - Pocketpark Biali Eyebright 6/2/13 - 8/3/19 Gone too soon
Motto for owners who groom their own Schnauzers -"Never mind it'll soon grow back"
mikegoodson1

Post by mikegoodson1 »

That's interesting that a vet also mentioned that Black Labs are the breed most other breeds avoid. I thought Labs and Retrievers were supposed to be docile-type dogs. I know a chap who has a Black Lab (and to be fair, he's black lab is lovely but Sasha still avoids him like the plague) and even he was attacked by other black labs.....
Dawnspell
First Name: Alison
Dog #1: Barney RIP 8/3/19
Born: 06 Feb 2013
Dog #2: Jasper
Born: 25 Apr 2019

Post by Dawnspell »

mikegoodson1 wrote: 19 Nov 2018, 10:05 That's interesting that a vet also mentioned that Black Labs are the breed most other breeds avoid. I thought Labs and Retrievers were supposed to be docile-type dogs. I know a chap who has a Black Lab (and to be fair, he's black lab is lovely but Sasha still avoids him like the plague) and even he was attacked by other black labs.....
The vets theory was that black labs as puppies are so docile that they get bullied by other dogs causing them to become automatically overly defensive when they see another dog. Which of course is then ingrained by the time they become adult.
Our first family dog
Barney - Pocketpark Biali Eyebright 6/2/13 - 8/3/19 Gone too soon
Motto for owners who groom their own Schnauzers -"Never mind it'll soon grow back"
mikegoodson1

Post by mikegoodson1 »

Okey dokey, that makes sense. Now I feel sorry for the poor puppies who are all bullied by other dogs :(
Oscar 12345

Post by Oscar 12345 »

Yes that's interesting. I did wonder whether I was reinforcing it too, Otto doesn't like black labs, Mum spots black lab, Otto senses somethings up with Mum, must be that black lab......
schnauzer
First Name: Christine
Dog #1: Suzi (RIP) 13/4/17
Born: 15 May 2004
Dog #2: Gino/Siglette Shadow
Born: 09 May 2017

Post by schnauzer »

So far Gino likes every dog that he meets, he just runs up to them all but I know its early days being only 18 months.

As for my last girl she hated German Shepherds / Alsatians as one made a run at her as we came out of our back gate one night cant remember how old she was at the time but she never forgot it. The owner didn't even apologise. We knew where it lived & every time we passed its house she would bark which was embarrassing but eventually I managed to stop her doing this. This was the only breed that she didn't like.
Christine & Gino (Siglette Shadow (born 9/5/17 ---

Suzi (15/5/04---13/4/17) (Sugarbabe) RIP loved you to the moon & back, miss you so so much precious girl