Harness recommendation

Had enough of your Schnauzer for one day. Then sit back, relax and put your feet up. You can let off a little steam here about things unrelated to your four-legged schnauzer.
mikegoodson1
First Name: Mike
Dog #1: Oscar
is a: Black Mini Dog
Born: 17 Oct 2015
Dog #2: Sasha
is a: B/S Mini Bitch
Born: 23 Sep 2017

Harness recommendation

Post by mikegoodson1 »

Hi all,

I am hoping to do the Battersea Dogs Home muddy dog challenge (https://muddydog.battersea.org.uk/) with Oscar in Sept and they recommend that your dog wears a harness. Oscar (and Sasha) have really only ever worn collars and so I wondered if I could ask for some harness recommendations?

I know I could google it or look on Amazon but real world recommendations, especially from you good folk here, would be preferred - I can then get him used to wearing one sooner :)

Thanks in advance
Mike
Oscar 12345
First Name: Julie
Dog #1: Oscar RIP Sweety
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 21 Dec 2002
Dog #2: Otto
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 04 Jul 2017

Re: Harness recommendation

Post by Oscar 12345 »

Hi Mike, check out the Perfect Fit harness from this site... https://www.dog-games-shop.co.uk/perfec ... rness.html

I am really happy with it and you can select the size of each part of it so it is a "perfect fit". I think it was Leigh's recommendation that put me on to it.
Man cannot survive with wine alone...
we also need a schnauzer.
Oscar 12345
First Name: Julie
Dog #1: Oscar RIP Sweety
Born: 21 Dec 2002
Dog #2: Otto
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 04 Jul 2017

Post by Oscar 12345 »

Oh should have said. Because of the clips, you don't have to put it over the head which is a real bonus with a sensitive, don't put anything over my head, schnauzer...:)
Man cannot survive with wine alone...
we also need a schnauzer.
mikegoodson1

Post by mikegoodson1 »

Thanks Julie, I will look at that; I think my Oscar would be in the 'don't put anything over my head' camp!
zeta1454
First Name: Leigh
Dog #1: Magic
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 20 Apr 2010
Dog #2: Trilby
Born: 15 Mar 2012
Dog #3: Pip
Born: 21 Feb 2014

Post by zeta1454 »

I agree with Julie that the Perfect Fit harnesses are a good choice. All our dogs (except one) have these and they have lasted well since getting our first for Magic when she was a puppy nearly nine years ago.

One of our affen boys now wears a Hurtta active harness which was purchased for him to use for parkour but is neat enough for everyday wear. Pip also has one of these as well as a Ruffwear harness both of which were bought for parkour but the Hurtta one fits her better. She does have a Perfect Fit for everyday.

This is Pip in the Ruffwear Webmaster harness which is a bit bulky compared to the Hurtta although Ruffwear do also do a less cumbersome one. The handle on the back is useful to grab in an emergency to lift the dog if needed.

There are a couple of links here to some of the harnesses mentioned although they are available through many websites:

https://fetch.co.uk/hurtta-padded-activ ... lsrc=aw.ds

https://fetch.co.uk/ruffwear?gclid=Cj0K ... lsrc=aw.ds

There is an article here also which highlights the good and bad points of certain harnesses as far as affecting the movement of a dog especially on the shoulder / chest area:

https://activepet.co.uk/dog-harness/
Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. ~Roger Caras

Magic - Silversocks Sharade at Darksprite
Trilby - Darksprite Rosa Bud

https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/C ... 916994967/
mikegoodson1

Post by mikegoodson1 »

Thanks for the links Leigh, the one about the best types of harness fit-wise, was very interesting to read.
jacdales
First Name: Jackie
Dog #1: Hamish
Born: 28 May 2013
Dog #2: Suzi
Born: 13 Jun 2017
Dog #3: mahri
Born: 20 May 2006

Post by jacdales »

I have a Ruffwear www.ruffwear.co.uk/best-sellers/front-r ... rness-ss17 I was advised to get this as it is less likely to slip over their head.
The harness imho saved Hamish's life two weeks ago when a GSD came out of a gypsy camp without provocation or warning and attacked us. The dog appeared to launch itself at me and wee Hamish crossed in front of me and up under the dogs belly. I was screaming for help and kicking the dog. I gave it a really hard kick in the ribs dropped the lead so Hamish could run while the dog stopped to consider taking me on. Just as suddenly as it attacked it about turned and went back into the camp. Then I noticed Hamish's harness was on the ground. I called him to me and checked him over when I went to put the harness back on I realised the dog had bitten through the buckle releasing Hamish. Hamish had several little scratches on his back and rear legs but was fine. I wrote to Ruff wear to tell them that his harness had saved him from a nasty bite or worse. They are sending me replacement buckles and gave me a discount on a replacement. I originally bought mine from /purrfectlyyappy.com/products/ruffwear-front-range-dog-harness this was the best price and very good customer service
I will add that I hate animal abuse and I'm not proud of having to hurt another animal but Hamish is very precious to me and I also had wee Suzi to protect as well so I had to do something to make the dog leave him. I'll never know if the dog was going to have me or my dogs and I won't walk that way again unless husband is with me.