A schnauzer tale

Had enough of your Schnauzer for one day. Then sit back, relax and put your feet up. You can let off a little steam here about things unrelated to your four-legged schnauzer.
Bean
Puppy
First Name: Joy
Dog #1: Tilly
is a: B/S Mini Bitch
Born: 26 Jun 2020

A schnauzer tale

Post by Bean »

Dear all, I hope I’m in the right section to tell you about our darling schnauzer that passed away last year.

On 18 August 2008 a beautiful pepper and salt miniature schnauzer was born. Four months later just before Christmas my daughter (Jel) and her boyfriend were looking at all the puppies and decided on the little schnauzer. She was the only schnauzer left and was being picked on a little by the other puppies. They arrived at our house with the puppy in a cardboard box. On looking in the box we were shocked to see an extremely scared stiff(literally) puppy. It was heart breaking. Jel and co immediately drove home as they didn’t want her to be confused where her home was. (They were staying for Christmas.). Little schnauzer was named Bean. Jel hand fed her for 2 weeks as Bean was so frightened of everything. There followed awful slimy mucus covered stools. Trials of food and visits to vet followed in earnest. After much prodding and blood taking it was diagnosed as IBD. Bean then thrived for a while on home cooked food. Then she became ill. Very ill. Hospitalised on drip and hepatitis was diagnosed. We were all devastated. Jel was on the phone to us all the time with worry. Miraculously Bean survived. How happy we all were.

Life went on well with Bean for a few years but always she was an anxious dog. Shying away for all people and other dogs. When we visited with our Yorkie and Lhasa x, Bean would like our dogs but have nothing to do with us. She was so lovely and fragile we longed to love her. Then, Jel and co parted. Jel and Bean came to live with us. After not long Jel met her now fiancé. She moved in with him and asked if we minded homing Bean as their flat was a no dogs policy. This was absolutely no trouble as by now Bean loved living with us and our Lhasa Pippin. (Our old yorkie had passed away.) Jel and Ben visited often but my daughter suffered as she wanted to have Bean with her, as they both worked full time it was not an option.

We had an absolutely wonderful life with both Pippin and Bean. Pippin though was by now elderly and passed away at ripe old age of 16. We employed a trainer for a month to help with Bean and her anxiety around other dogs but to no success so we learned to live with it, trying to help her. We joined the Monday coffee morning club in the village and Bean came along too! We’ve never thought about schnauzer breed but on learning how wonderful they are with their family, how inquisitive and loving they are, we were sold!

Bean stole our hearts. My husband said she’s just like our child! Bean would always be with us whatever we were doing, looking in the fridge with me, in the cupboards, helping me in the garden! I think it was a mistake on my part as I always felt sorry for her that she was so anxious around people and dogs. I felt she missed out but on reflection how would she know she missed out! She seemed to understand everything I said! We had wonderful times in the highlands on holidays. Everywhere we went people used to say what a beautiful dog, what breed is she? We moved our gates closer to the house when we heard about the dog snatching. No one was getting our darling! Suddenly about 3am I heard her panting and running round the bedroom. I let her out and she ran in the garden. She came in and I noticed her tail between her legs. 2 days later vet visit, swimmers tail was diagnosed and painkillers. Nothing happened. X-rays taken, nothing untoward! What was going on? She was obviously in pain. Maybe a ct scan at veterinary hospital? Then a small lump was found in her neck. A biopsy was inconclusive! An appointment was set up at hospital in Somerset. On her 11th birthday the whole coffee morning group sang happy birthday to her. She was so popular yet she only loved us and Jel.

Bean had her ct scan And biopsy at the hospital and was diagnosed with aggressive cancer, which had metastasised in her lungs. But they were not the primary! Only an mri would determine that but the hospital did not want to put her through it. Could it be around her tail area? We will never know. She was given a month to live. To say we were devastated is not enough. We were told to enjoy her last weeks and given pain medicine for her tail. This was gabapentin and after 3 days she was back to her normal pain free self. How utterly wonderful. Jel and Ben were here too as they were both heartbroken. Then a day later we woke up to an unresponsive Bean. Emergency vet visit. Spinal stroke, bladder filling with no relief. The men wanting to do the right thing for her but us women clinging on. Next day vet came to the house and Bean was no more. We have her ashes and she will go with me. We have always loved dogs but Bean was something else. We feel privileged to have known and loved her.
Dawnspell
First Name: Alison
Dog #1: Barney RIP 8/3/19
is a: White Mini Dog
Born: 06 Feb 2013
Dog #2: Jasper
is a: White Mini Dog
Born: 25 Apr 2019

Re: A schnauzer tale

Post by Dawnspell »

It brought tears to my ears at the end :(( They really do leave a paw print on your heart. It reminds me so much of when we lost our gorgeous boy Barney age 6. Except in our house it was me wanting to do the right thing and OH wanting to cling on :D

I think going through a difficult time with your pups brings you closer. Like Bean not being well when younger and we nearly lost Barney at a year old with kidney failure. I'm saying this as a positive for what you are going through with Tilly.

Schnauzers really do love to be involved and "help"with everything :)) Jasper comes out in the car just for the ride to the shop. He knows exactly what "stay with Dad" means when he cant come out with me for some reason.
Our first family dog
Barney - Pocketpark Biali Eyebright 6/2/13 - 8/3/19 Gone too soon
Motto for owners who groom their own Schnauzers -"Never mind it'll soon grow back"
Oscar 12345
First Name: Julie
Dog #1: Oscar RIP Sweety
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 21 Dec 2002
Dog #2: Otto
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 04 Jul 2017

Post by Oscar 12345 »

Oh what a lovely story, so sad but the love you had was wonderful. Can't stop the tears. I have always wondered what a "heart dog" is. I often hear of people who have many dogs talk about their "heart dog". Sounds like Bean was that for you. How lucky she was to have you. The really hard thing in all of this is the more loved they are the harder it is when they go and they have to go. Otto is only 3 but even the thought of it, well I can't think about it. Thanks for posting and I can't remember now whether you have another one or are getting another one. They don't replace but they help fill the emptiness,
Man cannot survive with wine alone...
we also need a schnauzer.
Bean
Puppy

Post by Bean »

Hi Dawnspell and Oscar

It’s lovely to hear your tales of your beloved schnauzers. Barney went all too soon, terrible and Oscar it doesn’t bear thinking about. I cry most days now about Bean as having Tilly has reminded me how much I miss my Bean yes my heart dog. This was my darling Bean.

Schnauzerluv
First Name: Kat
Dog #1: Ozzy
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 30 Jul 2020
Dog #2: Lily
is a: Black Mini Bitch
Born: 12 Aug 2022

Post by Schnauzerluv »

Such a sad but lovely tale as it's clear you had so much love for her and vice versa. My heart is disturbed and my eyes are filled, but it was so nice to read about little Bean's sweet personality.

I'm still struggling myself to deal with the loss of my mini in March, i'm expecting a new adventure with another mini in a couple weeks, but Chelsea will always be in my heart.

I still feel a connection.
They will always be with us in heart.

Thank you for sharing Bean's story, she is adorable.
Bean
Puppy

Post by Bean »

Dear Kat

Thank you for your kind words about Bean. We all wish she was still with us it’s never long enough. I hope your new mini will eventually relieve some if the pain of grief you feel. It’s early days for you.