Will my puppies make me rich...petition

Had enough of your Schnauzer for one day. Then sit back, relax and put your feet up. You can let off a little steam here about things unrelated to your four-legged schnauzer.
zeta1454
First Name: Leigh
Dog #1: Magic
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 20 Apr 2010
Dog #2: Trilby
Born: 15 Mar 2012
Dog #3: Pip
Born: 21 Feb 2014

Will my puppies make me rich...petition

Post by zeta1454 »

I just saw this petition on Facebook and checked to see if it could be true that the BBC are promoting a documentary on puppy breeding as a potential money spinning business for young entrepreneurs wanting to cash in on designer dogs and potentially other in demand breeds. Although not specifically affecting schnauzers, the whole concept of this is sickening at a time when there is already a crisis in terms of dogs being bred for profit at extortionate prices by those who care only for money and understand nothing about dog welfare at all and with puppy farmed dogs being bought thoughtlessly during lockdown restrictions and many abandoned soon afterwards.

This is the link to a petition to try and halt the airing of this programme:

https://www.change.org/p/bbc-stop-the-b ... -en-gb%3A2

And this is the link with further details of the programme:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/2020/ ... ke-me-rich

Although it is not possible to know how the programme will deal with the topic, the following quotes from the linked article are disturbing:

“With average puppy prices doubling in the last six months because of Covid-19, this timely film will look at some of the 20-somethings looking to launch new businesses breeding designer canines........aspirational social media savvy individuals in the North are learning the ropes when it comes to breeding, and capitalising on the demand for designer dogs.”

And the fact that this documentary was chosen to be aired as “....we love ideas that are aspirational and the business angle baked into this again felt really timely and ambitious.”

Although the article states that it will consider what constitutes good and bad practice in dog breeding, the whole idea of the programme is clearly stated as regarding breeding dogs as a business venture open to people who need have no background or understanding of dog welfare and solely being done to make money. Very few if any reputable breeders make a living from breeding dogs and it is worrying that this idea of unemployed individuals being encouraged to set up a business breeding dogs is so close to the situation that occurred in Wales (and elsewhere) after the Foot and Mouth epidemic of 2001 which decimated cattle herds and led to farmers being given grants to diversify into puppy farming as an alternative source of income.

I do find it really depressing that young people are thinking of a documentary about dog breeding with this business angle and that the BBC are supporting it.
Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. ~Roger Caras

Magic - Silversocks Sharade at Darksprite
Trilby - Darksprite Rosa Bud

https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/C ... 916994967/
Oscar 12345
First Name: Julie
Dog #1: Oscar RIP Sweety
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 21 Dec 2002
Dog #2: Otto
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 04 Jul 2017

Re: Will my puppies make me rich...petition

Post by Oscar 12345 »

Signed.
Man cannot survive with wine alone...
we also need a schnauzer.
schnauzer
First Name: Christine
Dog #1: Suzi (RIP) 13/4/17
Born: 15 May 2004
Dog #2: Gino/Siglette Shadow
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 09 May 2017

Post by schnauzer »

Signed
Christine & Gino (Siglette Shadow (born 9/5/17 ---

Suzi (15/5/04---13/4/17) (Sugarbabe) RIP loved you to the moon & back, miss you so so much precious girl
Dawnspell
First Name: Alison
Dog #1: Barney RIP 8/3/19
is a: White Mini Dog
Born: 06 Feb 2013
Dog #2: Jasper
is a: White Mini Dog
Born: 25 Apr 2019

Post by Dawnspell »

Signed
The BBC are going off the rails in more ways than this, not the credible company it used to be.
Our first family dog
Barney - Pocketpark Biali Eyebright 6/2/13 - 8/3/19 Gone too soon
Motto for owners who groom their own Schnauzers -"Never mind it'll soon grow back"