Lily's Kitchen Feeding Amounts

Need help or advice on feeding your Schnauzer, whether it be kibble or treats, you'll find the information here. There is food reviews, recipes, remedies for poorly tummies and a wealth of feeding knowledge from your fellow Schnauzer owner. We cover BARF in a separate section.
GoEmGo
First Name: Emma
Dog #1: Montgomery (Monty)
is a: White Mini Dog
Born: 22 Dec 2018

Lily's Kitchen Feeding Amounts

Post by GoEmGo » 30 Jul 2019, 19:27

We finally have Monty settled on a diet of Wainwrights grain free trays. However, a friend has recently welcomed a little mini schnauzer into their home, and they are keen to try out Lily's Kitchen. I was taking a look at the feeding guide and it seems like quite a high amount daily compared to other kibbles and wet. I was under the assumption that the 'better quality' the food, the less you have to feed.

I put Monty's weight and age in just to get an illustration and the Lily's Kitchen website suggested 207g a day for a 7 month old puppy that weights 7.5kg. This seems a lot to me. And for wet food, 918g. This would be over two cans a day. I can't imagine that much even fitting inside Monty! :-O I advised my friend to go cautiously with the feeding guide and to start slowly when transitioning (from RC). Her mini is called Jack and he's four months old, but still the feeding amount seems high.

I know a lot of people feed Lily's Kitchen so just wondered what people's thoughts were. Thanks.

Oscar 12345
First Name: Julie
Dog #1: Oscar RIP Sweety
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 21 Dec 2002
Dog #2: Otto
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 04 Jul 2017

Re: Lily's Kitchen Feeding Amounts

Post by Oscar 12345 » 30 Jul 2019, 20:06

I used to feed my last adult male schnauzer on tinned Lily's Kitchen. 1 tin a day fed over 2 meals and I think Oscar was around 8.5kg.
Every snack you make
Every meal you bake
Every bite you take
He'll be watching you......

zeta1454
First Name: Leigh
Dog #1: Magic
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 20 Apr 2010
Dog #2: Trilby
Born: 15 Mar 2012
Dog #3: Pip
Born: 21 Feb 2014

Post by zeta1454 » 31 Jul 2019, 07:18

Two of our former pups who come to stay with us for holidays are on Lily's Kitchen tins (adult mini schnauzers) and they have one tin between them in the morning and 1/2 a tin between them in the evening. That would be 3/4 of a tin each per day and both are a good size, one actually being a little on the chunky side but he is very reluctant to exercise which may explain it!

A puppy would be on a higher intake of food as a percentage of body size until it reaches ideal adult weight and meals should be spread through the day when they are young so 3-4 meals rather than two.

A rough guide with raw food is that a puppy will actually be eating the same amount as s/he would as an adult but divided into smaller meals which usually means they start off eating from 10% of their body weight down to 6% and this will eventually settle at around 2-3% as they reach maturity.

The amounts quoted do sound high especially for the kibble which will swell in the stomach and not to my mind ideal for a puppy. If changing to Lily's Kitchen tins, I would start with a lower amount e.g. 1 can per day and only increase if this looks to be too little - Monty is losing weight or failing to thrive on it. The kibble should be far less than quoted IMO. We don't feed this as a meal (raw feeders) but we do use Simpsons 80/20 Puppy kibble as a treat for games /training for our dogs as it is grain free and very tiny pieces and their feeding guide on the page would suggest a much smaller amount to feed (75g - 125g for a puppy of 5-10kg expected adult weight so around 100g for a dog in the middle of that weight scale). Here is a link to their website page. The feeding guide is under the nutritional details:

https://www.simpsonspremium.com/dogs/pu ... sh-chicken
Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. ~Roger Caras

Magic - Silversocks Sharade at Darksprite
Trilby - Darksprite Rosa Bud

https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/C ... 916994967/

GoEmGo
First Name: Emma
Dog #1: Montgomery (Monty)
is a: White Mini Dog
Born: 22 Dec 2018

Post by GoEmGo » 05 Aug 2019, 10:59

Thank you. My friend has started feeding Jack on a can a day of the Lily's Kitchen puppy range, and he is doing really well, so sticking with this for now :) I'm trying to convince her to join the forum to post some pics of the gorgeous boy!

Monty is still on the Wainwrights grain free trays, with a few Lily's Kitchen chicken and white fish puppy treats for training, as his sensitive tum can tolerate them.