Liver cake recipe?

Need help or advice on feeding your Schnauzer, whether it be kibble or treats, you'll find the information here. There is food reviews, recipes, remedies for poorly tummies and a wealth of feeding knowledge from your fellow Schnauzer owner. We cover BARF in a separate section.
Tulip

Liver cake recipe?

Post by Tulip »

Match night is next week and I'm baking some double choc chip cookies, but I thought I'd make something for the dogs too. Does anyone have a liver cake recipe they could share? I've tried looking online but most are American and the units aren't the same (cup?! How vague is that!) so would love if anyone had one they could share so I can make some for the pooches at class too.

Thanks in advance,

Beth ~o)
angieh
First Name: Angie
Dog #1: Monty
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 28 Feb 2011

Re: Liver cake recipe?

Post by angieh »

Here you are Beth - this is the recipe I follow. If the mixture is too wet, just add more flour ....

Liverbread – treat for dogs
350g liver
1 egg
1 teaspoon baking powder
2 cloves garlic or 1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 tablespoon olive oil
150 g flour (plain or self-raising)

Put liver, egg, garlic, baking powder and oil into food processor and whizz until it's a smooth paste. Add flour gradually, add more or less flour as needed as long as it's a thick paste.

Line a baking tray/swiss roll tray with foil and spread the paste

Bake at 180c for about 20 minutes, check with a skewer.

When it's cool I cut it into about 8 pieces and freeze it, when needed I thaw and cut a piece into lots of tiny nibble-sized bits.

It's rich and smelly, I wouldn't give a small puppy loads of it but it's great for really getting their attention and cooperation!
countrygirl
First Name: Tania
Dog #1: Widget
Born: 20 Oct 2011

Post by countrygirl »

My recipe is similar but I use 2 eggs for that quantity and skip the baking powder, I roughly gauge about half the flour to liver weight to get it to a dropping consistency, mine might be a bit of a different texture I guess. I don't have a food processor and just use a hand blender to whizz the liver and eggs and then fold in the flour. Apparently dogs prefer lambs liver but I just buy whichever is cheapest in the supermarket. He's got pigs liver at the moment and not complaining ;)

It's great for training classes to get their attention when they can be easily distracted and I use it occasionally as jackpots for loose lead walking and recall training as it (almost) guarantees I'm the most interesting thing around!

One tip I was given, as the mixture sets like concrete in the dishwasher or even a hot wash bowl, if you let the dog lick the bowl and spoon clean it really helps with the washing up :-bd I'd never let him near human bowls normally but he loves it and helps me at the same time :p
Rufus: B&S mini 18/3/11 - 19/10/11
Widget: P&S mini 20/10/11
Tulip

Post by Tulip »

Oooh thank you ladies, I'll try both and see which works best for us, who knows, it might make Nog a bit more focussed on me in class too! xxxx
Judi Ibbotson
First Name: Judi
Dog #1: Little Gem
is a: Black Mini Bitch
Born: 16 Mar 2011

Post by Judi Ibbotson »

Hi Beth this is the one that I use.

Liver Treats

1 lb. beef/lamb liver
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 cup cornmeal
12 - 14 cloves garlic
2 eggs

Puree liver and garlic in food processor. Add eggs, whole wheat flour and cornmeal. Grease cookie sheet and pour mixture onto cookie sheet. Bake in 180c oven for 20 minutes, flipping over halfway through baking. Cut into desired sized squares, I use a pizza cutter

I usually place 1/2 of this recipe in a tupperware and keep in the fridge. The other half I freeze.

JUdi
Last edited by Judi Ibbotson on 16 Feb 2012, 12:22, edited 1 time in total.
Judi & the lovely Little Gem
Tulip

Post by Tulip »

Thanks Judi, I think I'll do something similar, then I can test out a few recipes to see without any waste. xx
Claire Farrington
First Name: Claire

Post by Claire Farrington »

I think I am going to try and cook some of these, it's just plucking up the courage to deal with the liver :ymsick: :ymsick: :ymsick:
Properly Trained a man can be a dog's best friend

Sydney (Deansgate) gone to the Rainbow Bridge 19/04/2011 - Run free my little man
Jack (Silversocks Spot On) s/p mini born 10/04/2011
Jill (Silversocks Shana) s/p mini born 11/05/2011
countrygirl
First Name: Tania
Dog #1: Widget
Born: 20 Oct 2011

Post by countrygirl »

Judianne wrote:12 - 14 cloves garlic
Wow, I only use 2 cloves and was stinking the class out yesterday. They'll be no vampires near your dogs :D
Rufus: B&S mini 18/3/11 - 19/10/11
Widget: P&S mini 20/10/11
Judi Ibbotson

Post by Judi Ibbotson »

Or fleas!!!

Judi
Judi Ibbotson

Post by Judi Ibbotson »

Ask your butcher to chop it up a bit then just put it straight into a magimix type food processor with all the other ingredients.
CLAIREFARRINGTON wrote:I think I am going to try and cook some of these, it's just plucking up the courage to deal with the liver
Judi
Claire Farrington
First Name: Claire

Post by Claire Farrington »

Thanks for that Judy, didn't think of that.
Properly Trained a man can be a dog's best friend

Sydney (Deansgate) gone to the Rainbow Bridge 19/04/2011 - Run free my little man
Jack (Silversocks Spot On) s/p mini born 10/04/2011
Jill (Silversocks Shana) s/p mini born 11/05/2011
prasuhn1
First Name: Diane
Dog #1: Beau
Born: 30 Jun 2006

Post by prasuhn1 »

One tip I was given, as the mixture sets like concrete in the dishwasher or even a hot wash bowl, if you let the dog lick the bowl and spoon clean it really helps with the washing up :-bd I'd never let him near human bowls normally but he loves it and helps me at the same time :p[/quote]

Wot a clever idea. I'll do that from now on.
BBG
First Name: Gerri
Dog #1: Rufus
is a: Black Giant Dog
Dog #2: Eva
is a: Black Giant Bitch
Dog #3: Blaze
is a: Black Mini Dog

Post by BBG »

prasuhn1 wrote:One tip I was given, as the mixture sets like concrete in the dishwasher or even a hot wash bowl, if you let the dog lick the bowl and spoon clean it really helps with the washing up :-bd I'd never let him near human bowls normally but he loves it and helps me at the same time :p
Wot a clever idea. I'll do that from now on.[/quote]

Rufus likes to lick the bowl. But I make sure I wash his beard and eyebrows out after before it sets like concrete! =))
dannie_kl

Post by dannie_kl »

also, not liver cake but if you want something liver, quick and easy just hardback little chopped bits of liver on a low heat for about 45 mins and its not as smelly and you can make really quite small pieces to carry in your treat pouch or bum bag, some times i bake some up, chop up some cheese and do something else and pop it in the treart bag all together and its like jackpot what they get when they are working, my dogs love the surprise anyway :D
Tulip

Post by Tulip »

I'm sure I can find a willing volunteer to lick the bowl clean!

Thanks Dannie, we've tried that before and it did work well, one thing I'm finding is good at the moment are those cheap crabsticks you can get that break up into tiny pieces. They're so smelly though, no one will sit next to you. :ymdaydream: