Dangerous Foods and Plants

Need help or advice on feeding your Schnauzer, whether it be kibble or treats, you'll find the information here. There is food reviews, recipes, remedies for poorly tummies and a wealth of feeding knowledge from your fellow Schnauzer owner. We cover BARF in a separate section.
Lipgloss
First Name: Michelle

Dangerous Foods and Plants

Post by Lipgloss »

Here is a list of Foods and Plants which MUST be avoided!
They can cause serious illnesses and even death to your dog.
This list will be updated on a regular basis:

http://www.romanyblues.de/poisons.html

If anyone knows of 'other' poisonous foods, ingredients, plants, please pm me so that I can add it to the list. Thank You!
Michelle, who reckons all dogs should have their meat and eat it...!
rubysmum
Puppy

Re: Dangerous Foods and Plants

Post by rubysmum »

Hi just a quick question,ir it ok to give my Ruby wimberries ? We are goin wimberrying tomorrow and I'm sure being the nosy dog she is she will want to try one.
Lipgloss

Post by Lipgloss »

Do you mean Whinberries/Bilberries? Then as far as I know, yes, they can be eaten.
egough

Post by egough »

Hi Lipgloss

Just found this list of poisonous plants on the net, thought you might be interested. I think I'll tear up all my plants and make my garden lawn only after reading that list! Hope it helps

Emma x
Lipgloss

Post by Lipgloss »

egough wrote:Hi Lipgloss

Just found this list of poisonous plants on the net, thought you might be interested. I think I'll tear up all my plants and make my garden lawn only after reading that list! Hope it helps

Emma x
Superb, but where's the Link?
egough

Post by egough »

Sorry, blonde moment! (sorry)

Here it is: http://www.ttlntl.co.uk/2/Health/poisonplants.htm
Jools

Post by Jools »

dont (giggle) cha just love blonde moments
A man is already halfway in love with any woman who listens to him.
rubysmum
Puppy

Post by rubysmum »

Thanks Lipgloss.Erred on the side of caution and only gave her a couple.She didn't know wether to eat them or play with them so we just gave her some treats instead.Pleased about that because I think they would have turned her beard a lovely shade of red.
Captain Chaos

Post by Captain Chaos »

Tula like to occasionally munch on my bamboo - I've tried to stop her, but it's everywhere in the garden (if anyone knows a good way to get shut of it apart from a pet Panda, let me know). My last dog used to eat the bamboo, too.....I worry about it because the leaves are fairly big and long. She does usually heave it up fairly soon after eating.
If you love something, set it free. If it doesn't come back it was probably a Giant Schnauzer...*sigh*
Downtrodden former owner of 2 Giants, the fabulous Tula Bear & very naughty Minxster - Minxsters blog: http://minxstergiant.blogspot.com/ )
dannie_kl

thought this would be useful

Post by dannie_kl »

I know someone-i think lipgloss has done a similar thing on here before but this list appeared on another forum and i was surprised at a few onf them,
Grapes and Raisins: Can cause acute renal failure in dogs.

Polyurethane Glue: Dogs may be attracted to either the smell or taste of glue, and may try to chew on the bottles. If swallowed, the glue expands to form a mass in the stomach and may need to be surgically removed. I recently read a news article about a dog swallowing Gorilla Glue, and had to have surgery to remove the mass from his stomach.

Macadamia nuts: Raw or roasted macadamia nuts cause painful muscle weakness, tremors, and paralysis. Dogs can be affected by eating as few as six nuts, and may also be affected by macadamia butter.

Onions, Chives, and Garlic: Contains thiosulphate, which is toxic to dogs, cats, and horses.

Cooked Bones: After cooking, bones become brittle and may splinter. These splinters may cause choking, or may even punture or become embedded in the intestinal tract or stomach. Some that are especially dangerous: turkey and chicken bones.

Coffee: Any beverage containing caffeine can cause a dog’s heart to race, sometimes causing seizures.

Xylitol: Sugarfree candies and other products containing xylitol. This ingredient is extremely harmful to dogs, with even small amounts causing liver damage and death.

Fruits: Cherries, apricot and apple seeds, pear seeds, peach seed pits, plum seeds. These seeds contain cyanogenic glycosides which causes cyanide poisoning.

Chocolate: Cooking chocolate and cocoa powder are the most toxic, followed by dark, semi-sweet, and milk chocolate. Obviously, the toxicity rises the smaller the dog, or the larger the quantity ingested. Keep all types chocolate out of your dog’s reach.

Corn Cobs: Can cause potentially fatal intestinal blockage.

Tobacco: cigarettes, nicotine patches, and other tobacco products may be harmful or fatal.

Raw Salmon: Dogs may be exposed to a parasite after eating infected salmon. The parasite causes gastrointestinal problems similar to parvo, and may be fatal. See a vet immediately if your dog has ingested raw salmon; ask for a fecal sample test for rickettsial organism. This can be treated if caught in time. You can prevent this by simply cooking all fish before feeding to your dog.

Plants: Toxic plants include Azalea, rhododendron, lilies, foxglove, daffodils, rhubarb leaves, yew, castor bean, sago palm, kalanchoe, and tulip bulbs.

Yeast Dough: Even a small amount can rise and cause a rupture in your dog’s stomach or intestines.

Human Medications: Pain killers, cold meds, anti-cancer drugs, vitamins, diet pills, and anti-depressants can be toxic even in small doses. Never give your dog human medication, unless instructed to do so by your vet.
Slug and Snail Bait: These products come in liquid, pellets, or powder form and are extremely toxic to dogs. These baits contain metaldehyde and should not be used anywhere where they may be accessible to pets.

Warm Weather Hazards from the SPCA
- Animal toxins—toads, insects, spiders, snakes and scorpions
- Blue-green algae in ponds
- Citronella candles
- Cocoa mulch
- Compost piles Fertilizers
- Flea products
- Outdoor plants and plant bulbs
- Swimming-pool treatment supplies
- Fly baits containing methomyl
- Slug and snail baits containing metaldehyde

I really really don't want to frighten anyone but I guess the saying knowledge is power.

For years I never knew some things were harmful to dogs
Mitch

Re: thought this would be useful

Post by Mitch »

If garlic is toxic then why is it recommended that you give garlic or garlic and fenugreek tablets to dogs

Thanks dannie I knew most of these but its always good to re cap as I can remember being shocked at certain things being toxic, when yiunger we used to give grapes to our dogs to play with and we gave them little bits of chocolate, plus Im a lover of Raisins and they used to get the odd handfull. Thankfully they never came to any harm there were no warnings around then. (bigthumbs) thanks again
nickycaplan

Post by nickycaplan »

you may have read how lola wolfed down my potatoes covered in raw garlic and cheese - well we went to a dog show a couple of weeks ago and purchased some home cooked treats for dogs - containing - garlic! The lady who sold them to me said that garlic was great for staving of fleas - and a natural way of treating fleas....i must say i was suprised to read that garlic is bad for dogs - she has eaten all her treats now...oooer....think we will stick to gravey bones...! (giggle)
schnauzer lover...dog artist www.nickycaplan.com
Darwinsmum

Post by Darwinsmum »

I might be wrong but I think it's if they eat raw cloves of garlic and raw onions, so garlic flavoured treats and tablets should be ok, I also read that it's a natural remedy for keeping fleas off.
Darwin and Mia 2 heatbeats at my feet
A life without dogs - I don't think so!
www.lincsdogtraining.co.uk
lil m

Post by lil m »

My Pepper has a garlic capsule and a cod liver oil capsuel every morming.I to was told its good to combat fleas ( she's never had one) She takes both of these as treats and enjoys haveing them,should i stop ?????? she is ten now and is in great health but i'd like to keep her like that as long as pos. (dogsmile)
Mini me 4'11" and tiny P my mini p&s
Mitch

Post by Mitch »

Im sure that its ok to give the supplements they wouldnt be allowed to sell them would they and Dorwest are a reputable company and they sell them its probably the raw garlic in large amounts that is toxic