What's in your dog's food?

Need help or advice on feeding your Schnauzer, whether it be kibble or treats, you'll find the information here. There is food reviews, recipes, remedies for poorly tummies and a wealth of feeding knowledge from your fellow Schnauzer owner. We cover BARF in a separate section.
Dinkum
Tech Team
First Name: Dean
Dog #1: Rupert RIP
is a: Black Mini Dog
Born: 24 Dec 2010
Dog #2: Watson
is a: Black Mini Dog
Born: 21 Feb 2012

What's in your dog's food?

Post by Dinkum »

If you want to find out what is in your dog's food or you want to change, then this website is a wealth of valuable information.

http://www.allaboutdogfood.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If you know of any other useful resources, please add them here.
Dean (Dog dad)
Rupert, black mini, 24/12/10 - 01/03/24
Watson, black mini born 21/02/12

I offer my advice freely, but I am not an expert, breeder, groomer or behaviourist. It is simply my experience of raising pups in a way that seems to make sense.
jacdales
First Name: Jackie
Dog #1: Hamish
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 28 May 2013
Dog #2: Suzi
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 13 Jun 2017
Dog #3: mahri
Born: 20 May 2006

Re: What's in your dog's food?

Post by jacdales »

Saw this new range in Scampers I've bought some to try thought it might be more convenient when away from home or when I forget to take breakfast out the freeze at night. Anyone else tried it.

http://www.scampers.co.uk/meat-love-instore.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Purple_peach
First Name: Autumn
Dog #1: Pippin
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 30 Dec 2015
Dog #2: Holly RIP 03.07.18
Born: 13 Sep 2016
Dog #3: Lola
Born: 24 Apr 2018
is a: Black Mini Bitch

Post by Purple_peach »

Brilliant website - I used it to find 'Akela' for my chocolate lab and now for puppy Pippin. Dogs seem to love the taste and there's no rubbish in it :-bd
rich 40
First Name: Richard

Post by rich 40 »

Hi is this a wet food?
amorris9484
First Name: Andrew

Post by amorris9484 »

I've been using butternut box https://butternutbox.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - still waiting for allaboutdogfood to list them, but they seem to be really good quality with regular human safe ingredients. Not the cheapest, but worth it so far.
zeta1454
First Name: Leigh
Dog #1: Magic
Born: 20 Apr 2010
Dog #2: Trilby
Born: 15 Mar 2012
Dog #3: Pip
Born: 21 Feb 2014

Post by zeta1454 »

Just to add to this post with its link to the excellent All About Dog Food website as the topic of ingredients in treats and food for dogs has been mentioned on another post.

This page on the website is very helpful to explain the meaning of some "ingredients " you may find listed in food items for your dog:

https://www.allaboutdogfood.co.uk/dog-f ... ossary.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I do find it strange that Royal Canin seem to think that miniature schnauzers are almost vegetarian as this is the list of ingredients on their website for their breed specific kibble:

"Brewers rice, chicken by-product meal, brown rice, oat groats, wheat gluten, chicken fat, corn gluten meal, natural flavors, chicory, salt, fish oil, sodium silico aluminate, calcium sulfate, potassium chloride, vegetable oil, psyllium seed husk, potassium citrate, DL-methionine, L-tyrosine, calcium carbonate, fructooligosaccharides, L-lysine, sodium tripolyphosphate, monocalcium phosphate, taurine, vitamins [DL-alpha tocopherol acetate (source of vitamin E), inositol, niacin supplement, L-ascorbyl-2-polyphosphate (source of vitamin C), D-calcium pantothenate, biotin, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), riboflavin supplement, thiamine mononitrate (vitamin B1), vitamin A acetate, folic acid, vitamin B12 supplement, vitamin D3 supplement], choline chloride, magnesium oxide, marigold extract (Tagetes erecta L.), glucosamine hydrochloride, trace minerals [zinc proteinate, zinc oxide, ferrous sulfate, manganese proteinate, manganous oxide, copper sulfate, calcium iodate, sodium selenite, copper proteinate], tea, L-carnitine, chondroitin sulfate, rosemary extract, preserved with mixed tocopherols and citric acid."

Apart from "chicken by-product"meal(?) chicken fat and fish oil there is no actual meat in it at all :-\
Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. ~Roger Caras

Magic - Silversocks Sharade at Darksprite
Trilby - Darksprite Rosa Bud

https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/C ... 916994967/
carken
First Name: Carol

Post by carken »

I used Allaboutdogfood to find a better food for my Poppy after her having regular attacks of colitis. I introduced her to Platinum semi moist food, 4.6 on the website, which has totally transformed her funny tummy problem. My late Jess had bad problems with colitis too but no idea why. We lost her to cancer before I found the website and I like to think it would have helped her colitis too. We had them both tested for Addison's Disease amongst others but everything came back negative.
I changed my new puppy over to Platinum before her puppy pack of Hill's ran out as her stools were extremely soft and she drank a huge amount of water on it. Now they're firm and she doesn't drink so much.

I put my girls on Bakers meaty meals years ago as they wouldn't eat any dry dog food and I was horrified when I saw Bakers rating, 0.7! It's utter rubbish. If I see people buying it I tell them to look it up on Allaboutdogfood.
Fergus
First Name: colin

Post by Fergus »

Fergus eats simpson's 80 20 puppy at the momment.
schnauzer
First Name: Christine
Dog #1: Suzi (RIP) 13/4/17
Born: 15 May 2004
Dog #2: Gino/Siglette Shadow
Born: 09 May 2017

Post by schnauzer »

Fergus wrote:Fergus eats simpson's 80 20 puppy at the momment.

Gino is now on Burns Puppy / Junior (Breeder had him on Simpsons when he came to us) he will be going onto Burns Adult at the end of the month when this bag is finished. He now on 2 meals per day.

Our last Girl was on Burns dried food most of her life.

Fergus good to see you on the forum
Last edited by schnauzer on 02 Jan 2018, 15:11, edited 1 time in total.
Christine & Gino (Siglette Shadow (born 9/5/17 ---

Suzi (15/5/04---13/4/17) (Sugarbabe) RIP loved you to the moon & back, miss you so so much precious girl
jacdales
First Name: Jackie
Dog #1: Hamish
Born: 28 May 2013
Dog #2: Suzi
Born: 13 Jun 2017
Dog #3: mahri
Born: 20 May 2006

Post by jacdales »

I have changed to Bella and Duke. Raw frozen food delivered to the door. I have just had my 4th delivery. I choose what I want when I want it. I get an email telling me about the delivery I can't fault them. The food I have; Lamb, beef,turkey, duck, venison all single protein packs. I could have fish, chicken,or tripe if I wanted. It is all human grade meat no grains or rubbish. My lot love it Elle the welsh terrier sings or yodels while I'm dishing it up. Well she would lol she's welsh. Hamish bounces and jumps around Mahri just drools, Suzi runs back and forth and wuffs till she gets her dinner
NadiaOr
Puppy
First Name: Nadia
Dog #1: Kimmy
is a: P/S Std Bitch
Born: 28 Sep 2017

Post by NadiaOr »

I used bella and Duke before, it is quite good I think. and convenient (with the delivery option).