Bad skin problem

Need help or advice on feeding your Schnauzer, whether it be kibble or treats, you'll find the information here. There is food reviews, recipes, remedies for poorly tummies and a wealth of feeding knowledge from your fellow Schnauzer owner. We cover BARF in a separate section.
Nika C
First Name: danika
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 0- 1- 0

Re: Bad skin problem

Post by Nika C »

Oh bless him. I imagine feeling so rotten must be exhausting in itself.
I don't know if it would help but there's a new-ish allergy drug called apoquel, which does wonders to relieve itching, with none of the nasty side effects of steroids etc. I'm not sure it would work for Bertie as the cause isn't 100% certain but it might be worth discussing with your vet as a possible helper to relieve his itching, which will no doubt be making the pain and infection worse.
I really hope this gets sorted soon for all your sake's x
Bertiezion
Puppy
First Name: Matthew
Dog #1: Bertie
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 09 Sep 2013

Post by Bertiezion »

Wow that is what he got tonight!!! And one steroid which they want to stop tonight! I have to say he is a bit better!!
Robin black mini
First Name: Jo
Dog #1: Robin
is a: Black Mini Bitch
Born: 13 Dec 2014
Dog #2: Stanley st poodle
Born: 24 Nov 2012

Post by Robin black mini »

Have a read of this article about this new wonder drug..
http://www.2ndchance.info/Apoquel.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
It certainly is effective in many cases to instantly relieve the itch,but the adverse side effects and links to cancers would not make me want to use this.
The makers themselves have not tested the drug on dogs using steroids..and it is stated it is not advised to give both together.
If your boy has improved already on his existing treatment I personally would hold off giving a powerful new drug,with some extreme side effects possible, and let his body recover on the treatments he's had.
http://www.drugs.com/vet/apoquel.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And finally two more easily understood links ...in two parts..

http://vitalanimal.com/apoquel-dog-1/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://vitalanimal.com/apoquel-side-effects/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Nika C

Post by Nika C »

Robin black mini wrote:Have a read of this article about this new wonder drug..
http://www.2ndchance.info/Apoquel.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
It certainly is effective in many cases to instantly relieve the itch,but the adverse side effects and links to cancers would not make me want to use this.
The makers themselves have not tested the drug on dogs using steroids..and it is stated it is not advised to give both together.
If your boy has improved already on his existing treatment I personally would hold off giving a powerful new drug,with some extreme side effects possible, and let his body recover on the treatments he's had.
http://www.drugs.com/vet/apoquel.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And finally two more easily understood links ...in two parts..

http://vitalanimal.com/apoquel-dog-1/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://vitalanimal.com/apoquel-side-effects/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Because steroids are all daisies and rainbows?
It's a short term solution to give some relief for itch and pain, which in turn will help control the spread of infection (in this instance)
The first article linked, itself, says no great concerns regarding short term usage, so I don't personally see that its helpful slating it so thoroughly for this situation?
Robin black mini

Bertiezion wrote: Benn to vets again today, they think he hasa bacterial skin infection and that it'sgetting worse as hhis immune system is trying to fight it off but in fact it's fighting against itself? .
The poster stated his dog has possible immune issues...the warning info on the drug itself states not to use on immune compromised dogs.,not tested on dogs on steroids,and so on...this dog has had both ..
So yes I do think anyone about to embark on a new drug should read the fine print and be informed.
....apart from that,like you I have no great love for any heavy ,long term drugs...but when needed ,yes they can break a cycle.
I don't believe in daisies and rainbows and find your comment both facetious and unnecessary.
Nika C

Post by Nika C »

Of course it was facetious! Glad you recognised it though.
Bertiezion
Puppy

Post by Bertiezion »

He went in today for tons of swabs skin scrapes and some tissue biopsy they are going to test for everything some results soon two days ish, some a while away. They have taken him off steroids again and back on antibiotics. We arekeeping him on the apoquel for short term to aide him some rest in the hope the stronger he is the better he can fight the infection. I know we are pumping the pills in to him but the poor lad has not slept properly for weeks. I think he is exhausted, I know we are. Will keep you posted, please don'tfall out over our ddogs issues life is too short. :)
Bertiezion
Puppy

Post by Bertiezion »

Hello we have some results at long last...Bertie has Eosinophilic Pustulation and Follicultis, which can not be treated by Antibiotics so once again they have stopped them and now put him back on Steroids once again...With the Apoquel to help wwith the itching. They said it's a little rare in dogs.
the valkyrie
First Name: Cyndie

Post by the valkyrie »

Well at least you have an answer now but my goodness what a mouthful :-o I have never heard of it but will google it later.
Do they know what causes it or if it is infectious ? Most important - can it be cured ?
I do hope he is more comfortable now.
Best wishes and hugs to all of you. :ymhug: :ymhug: :ymhug:
Our darling Cassie-too born 11.1.2006 left us 1.6. 2012.
Miss you every day little girl xx
Robin black mini

http://www.dogallergiesonline.com/sympt ... liculitis/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
This is a serious and rare condition,.i hope your boy pulls through and gets back his health.Hes a young dog so that's a big plus in his favour.
I wish you all the very best.
Bertiezion
Puppy

Post by Bertiezion »

Good Evening Schnauzer Lovers!

Quick update, Bert is now down to half a steroid a day and making progress each day! Vets on Monday we hope to be told that he can come off them altogether!

thanks for all your support, really helped to hear from everyone ^:)^
Andi Mack
Puppy
First Name: Andi

Post by Andi Mack »

Bertiezion wrote:Good Evening Schnauzer Lovers!

Quick update, Bert is now down to half a steroid a day and making progress each day! Vets on Monday we hope to be told that he can come off them altogether!

thanks for all your support, really helped to hear from everyone ^:)^
Just read through the thread and am glad to hear Bertie is on the mend.

Enjoy the weekend and please advise how you two get on at the vets on Monday.
jacdales
First Name: Jackie
Dog #1: Hamish
Born: 28 May 2013
Dog #2: Suzi
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 13 Jun 2017
Dog #3: mahri
Born: 20 May 2006

Post by jacdales »

I'm trying this for wee elle (welsh terrier) and seeing a homeopathic vet Shamppo should arrive today and ear cleaner

http://www.fenlandforager.co.uk/store/p ... mo-shampoo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Bertiezion
Puppy

Post by Bertiezion »

Thanks that looks good might get a bottle of that. Bertie is now off the steroids completely and touch wood seems to be okay again, the fly catching/star gazing as almost stopped too!! Huge relief!. Part of me wonders if putting flea treatment on him every 4 weeks from a pup like the vets say could have posiend him a bit whatwith all the chemicals in them wonder if that is what is the cause for all these dogs doing it?? Go back 10 to 15 years and hardly anyone was talking about star gazing? . We have left the healthy pet club scheme at our vets. Only worth doing if you want to slap on the Endectrid even if your dog does not have fleas!!! We are trying to keep on top ofthe cat as I am sure he Iis exposed more to fleas than the dog, treated our house with spay even though we did not have a problem and going totry the old way of shampoo and powder just to look after the dog.
jacdales
First Name: Jackie
Dog #1: Hamish
Born: 28 May 2013
Dog #2: Suzi
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 13 Jun 2017
Dog #3: mahri
Born: 20 May 2006

Post by jacdales »

I was convinced that the spot on flea treatments gave Hamish gastric upsets I don't give him flea treatments now the other dogs get it so I reckon he is a bit protected