What is best to feed my miniature schnauzer?

Need help or advice on feeding your Schnauzer, whether it be kibble or treats, you'll find the information here. There is food reviews, recipes, remedies for poorly tummies and a wealth of feeding knowledge from your fellow Schnauzer owner. We cover BARF in a separate section.
alisoncoutts
First Name: Alison
Dog #1: Lily
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 25 Feb 2016

What is best to feed my miniature schnauzer?

Post by alisoncoutts »

Hi

Can anyone give me a bit of advice on what to feed my pup? She is almost 6 months old. She has been on dry food. She was on Iams puppy food when I got her so I stuck to that. She liked it at first but then stopped eating it. She then would eat my friends dogs food if we were out. I changed her food to Bakers dry food for a couple of weeks. She has now gone off of this as well. Back on the Iams for a few days, she liked it again and now is not eating. Can anyone recommend a good dry food that's good for miniature schnauzers?

zeta1454
First Name: Leigh
Dog #1: Magic
Born: 20 Apr 2010
Dog #2: Trilby
Born: 15 Mar 2012
Dog #3: Pip
Born: 21 Feb 2014

Re: What is best to feed my miniature schnauzer?

Post by zeta1454 »

Hi and welcome to the Forum :)

Puppies can sometimes develop a picky attitude to their food at certain times due to teething / hormonal changes etc and it can be very difficult to settle them on a food if that is the case.

It would be worth checking out this website for general reviews and advice on a range of dog foods:
http://www.allaboutdogfood.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Although many multinational pet food manufacturers make a big deal out of offering different types of food for different breeds of dog much of this is simply marketing. You need a good quality food which does not include E numbers, colourings, added substances to hide the poor grade ingredients and is not made up of cheap "fillers" such as corn, meat and vegetable derivatives etc.

A good quality food whether dry, wet or raw should contain primarily named meat (that is it states chicken or beef not 'poultry' or 'meat meal) generally with approx 80% meat and added veg/ fruit/ fish oils.

As some miniature schnauzers can have issues with fat absorption it may be useful to find a food that is not too high in fat but other than that have a browse of the 5* rated foods on the All About Dog Food website and you should find a good range to choose from.
Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. ~Roger Caras

Magic - Silversocks Sharade at Darksprite
Trilby - Darksprite Rosa Bud

https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/C ... 916994967/
Robin black mini
First Name: Jo
Dog #1: Robin
is a: Black Mini Bitch
Born: 13 Dec 2014
Dog #2: Stanley st poodle
Born: 24 Nov 2012

Post by Robin black mini »

Check out farmina ,natural and delicious..we use the chicken and pomegranate..add a small amount of boiled fish or chicken....
My mini dog loves it,as does my very fussy st poodle..the food was recommended to me by the minis breder( 30 yrs in this breed) and both dogs have firm poos and great shiney coats.
silverlady
First Name: Jan
Dog #1: Sammy
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 27 Jun 2012

Post by silverlady »

My 4 year old boy has Taste of the Wild" dried food Bison and roast venison flavour, but there are different ones.it has no wheat or grains. He is very healthy and has firm poos. I order it from ZOOPLUS as it is very expensive on Amazon.
bob
Puppy

Post by bob »

Hi

My last 3 minis have been fed on Burns Brown rice and chicken or lamb or beef. This has no additives

This is a low fat content , 9%, and as my present dog Tia developed diabetes about 2 years ago we now watch her fat content closely

As she now has to have 3 meals a day we supplement 2 with Chappie wet food

Burns treats Kelties are also a low fat option

As my vet says it is the fat content that attracts dogs.

Hope this helps

bob
alisoncoutts
First Name: Alison
Dog #1: Lily
Born: 25 Feb 2016

Post by alisoncoutts »

Thanks everyone :)
Janer
First Name: Jane
Dog #1: Meg
is a: Black Mini Bitch
Born: 18 Jan 2014

Post by Janer »

Meg is on Gentle dog food. I have recommended it in the past and have no reason to change that recommendation. She has been on it for 18 months now and always greets each bowlful with joy! I add 3 defrosted cubes of Nature's Menu Country Hunter raw at tea time to add a bit of variety, this is possible as Gentle is a cold pressed food which is digested in the same way as raw food.

Gentle gets a very high rating on Allaboutdogfood too. It looks expensive at first glance but Meg only has 80grams per day (1% of her body weight) making it comparable to other apparently cheaper foods. The other benefits are a nice shiny coat and tidy little poos!
sandig323
Puppy
First Name: Sandi

Post by sandig323 »

alisoncoutts wrote:Hi

Can anyone give me a bit of advice on what to feed my pup? She is almost 6 months old. She has been on dry food. She was on Iams puppy food when I got her so I stuck to that. She liked it at first but then stopped eating it. She then would eat my friends dogs food if we were out. I changed her food to Bakers dry food for a couple of weeks. She has now gone off of this as well. Back on the Iams for a few days, she liked it again and now is not eating. Can anyone recommend a good dry food that's good for miniature schnauzers?

Yes my Mini Schnauzer is on Natural Balance dry kibble and canned Natural Balance for dinner. She loves food anyway. Most of this diet has limited ingredients of fat and not to high of protein. So it's good for them. Had another mini before Izzy and he ate it as well too.

Good luck. Sandi

This was also approved by my Vet.
jacdales
First Name: Jackie
Dog #1: Hamish
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 28 May 2013
Dog #2: Suzi
Born: 13 Jun 2017
Dog #3: mahri
Born: 20 May 2006

Post by jacdales »

I have just moved over to Bella & Duke raw food. I get it delivered frozen and take one container out each day to defrost in the fridge. I did have them on the frozen cubes and on other frozen meats packs but the local pet shop was often waiting on a delivery so I kept having to change their food. I like this one as I don'y run out ,I can change the volume anytime you can include /exclude different meats and it is grain free. Also it is not minced to baby mush. My dogs love it

https://www.bellaandduke.com/our-story/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;