Which Kibble?

Need help or advice on feeding your Schnauzer, whether it be kibble or treats, you'll find the information here. There is food reviews, recipes, remedies for poorly tummies and a wealth of feeding knowledge from your fellow Schnauzer owner. We cover BARF in a separate section.
Mix+Otto-RALF+Rudi
Puppy
First Name: Linda

Which Kibble?

Post by Mix+Otto-RALF+Rudi »

Hi,

Just wanted to know which Kibble you feed your Giant Schnauzer, I have tried Rudi on raw, but it's a no go.

Not happy with the Kibble he is on at the moment, so just wondering what other owners feed their Giants.

He is now 20months old and I really want to give him the best dry diet I can, with his Kibble he does have cooked meat/fish alternately.

Many thanks in advance for your replies.
Bodee
First Name: Boyd

Re: Which Kibble?

Post by Bodee »

Mix+Otto-RALF+Rudi wrote:Hi,

Just wanted to know which Kibble you feed your Giant Schnauzer, I have tried Rudi on raw, but it's a no go.

Not happy with the Kibble he is on at the moment, so just wondering what other owners feed their Giants.

He is now 20months old and I really want to give him the best dry diet I can, with his Kibble he does have cooked meat/fish alternately.

Many thanks in advance for your replies.

Have a look at FISH4DOGS. It is not cheap but my breeder swears by it and Milla has been on the Puppy version from day one. She also loves Fish4Dogs Sea Jerky and I give her that as a treat and at night instead of Dentastix which I no longer trust.
I also use the Fish4Dogs small training treats as a reward when I am training here.
Oscar 12345
First Name: Julie
Dog #1: Oscar RIP Sweety
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 21 Dec 2002
Dog #2: Otto
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 04 Jul 2017

Post by Oscar 12345 »

Boyd,

Are the sea jerky treats smelly. Just thinking bearded dog and I can't stand the smell of fish when I am not eating it.
Man cannot survive with wine alone...
we also need a schnauzer.
Bodee
First Name: Boyd

Post by Bodee »

Oscar 12345 wrote:Boyd,

Are the sea jerky treats smelly. Just thinking bearded dog and I can't stand the smell of fish when I am not eating it.
If you mean does the smell (which is more like fish'n chips with vinegar believe it or not) persist, no I don't think it does. Milla can bring her face right up to mine 5 mins after eating one and I don't smell anything. They do sample packets (100 gms) the breeder gave me a puppy pack which contained some of the puppy kibble, a sample bag of the Jerky and a sample pack of the Super Star training treats.

Here are the different treats they do - as I said, they are not cheap though.
https://www.fish4dogs.com/categories/do ... cuits.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Fish4Dogs as a company and with regard to all of their products generally are well reviewed. Why not try some of the sample packs and see how you get on. Dogs are not unlike people in as much as some dogs don't necessarily like the same thing as others and of course there are other companies who also supply fish and other healthy products for dogs AND cats. (F4D also do a cat range)

My sister and her family came to visit at the weekend and she said "That's strange, giving dogs fish until I recalled to her a movie I watched based on a true story about a pack of huskies in Alaska being given frozen salmon each at the end of the day and then curling up in the snow blizzard till morning. Being frozen it also acted like a bone. Kibble of course avoids the parasites often associated with fresh fish although the fact the fresh salmon froze and was eaten from frozen probably protected the huskies.

I don't mind admitting it that film had me close to tears a few times. If you get a chance to watch it don't pass it up.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zz7TGf1awDo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
RainyDayz
First Name: Kate

Post by RainyDayz »

Kibbles! Hmmm, we use James Wellbeloved giant kibble with Fish for one dog and with lamb for the other. For one of my giants I mix the JW with Burns weight control oats at a ratio of 3 Burns to 2 JW (scoops not biscuits!!) I add Bozita canned salmon or lamb, Bozita is a Swedish firm that sells through Zooplus -which is where I get my James Wellbeloved from. I also use slow bowls which sometimes traps the kibble and makes life interesting for everyone as the giants refuse to give up on a biscuit...

I agree with the comment about dentastix which are made I think of collagen and are dangereous when they get slippy. I feed dried lamb stomach strips (also zooplus) which are truly disgustingly smelly unless kept in an airtight box but the giants will do anything for them. Another treet is raw duck necks, yuch, but no residual breath smells from any of these foods. If you want clean teeth give them a real raw bone or clean the teeth with a brush

In Norway they feed dogs dried cod as a regular food so nothing strange about fish in dog's diet.

My dogs also eat, when not watched closely enough, sheep poo, deer poo, horse poo and the poo from young calves whioch has a very high milk content. They love porridge oats when left over form breakfast, especially if it has sugar and milk on. They like Pizza crusts, gravy, tuna,cheese, yoghurt, banana, boiled potatoe, rice, pasta, apple, cauliflower, pear, carrot and cabbage stalks but the favourite is definately lamb stomach. Never chocolate, never onion and never vine fruit or anything with these in it.
schnauzer
First Name: Christine
Dog #1: Suzi (RIP) 13/4/17
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 15 May 2004
Dog #2: Gino/Siglette Shadow
Born: 09 May 2017

Post by schnauzer »

My boy Gino is now on Burns his Breeder had him on Simpsons when he came home to us but I wanted to move him onto Burns as had my previous girl on it most of her life and we didn't have any problems at all. Gino now 8 months and will be moving on to Adult Burns in the next week or so as Burns recommend it once they reach 9 months. He also gets vegetables every day whether they be raw or cooked Brussel Sprouts, Broccoli & Carrots and also gets chicken too. Needs variety I think after all would you like to eat the same food twice a day every day of the week. Also I give him Probiotic yoghurt which is good for the digestive system and he will also be getting Charcoal biscuits soon as both very good at keeping their beard white. Experienced this with our Suzi who ended up with a white beard after it being stained brown. Have photos to prove.
Christine & Gino (Siglette Shadow (born 9/5/17 ---

Suzi (15/5/04---13/4/17) (Sugarbabe) RIP loved you to the moon & back, miss you so so much precious girl
Fergus
First Name: colin

Post by Fergus »

schnauzer wrote:My boy Gino is now on Burns his Breeder had him on Simpsons when he came home to us but I wanted to move him onto Burns as had my previous girl on it most of her life and we didn't have any problems at all. Gino now 8 months and will be moving on to Adult Burns in the next week or so as Burns recommend it once they reach 9 months. He also gets vegetables every day whether they be raw or cooked Brussel Sprouts, Broccoli & Carrots and also gets chicken too. Needs variety I think after all would you like to eat the same food twice a day every day of the week. Also I give him Probiotic yoghurt which is good for the digestive system and he will also be getting Charcoal biscuits soon as both very good at keeping their beard white. Experienced this with our Suzi who ended up with a white beard after it being stained brown. Have photos to prove.
Hi Schnauzer. Any particular yoghurt and charcoal biscuits?
Fergus has started to go red round the mouth over the last few weeks.
schnauzer
First Name: Christine
Dog #1: Suzi (RIP) 13/4/17
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 15 May 2004
Dog #2: Gino/Siglette Shadow
Born: 09 May 2017

Post by schnauzer »

I assume any probiotic live yoghurt would do but I use Yeo Yalley Greek with honey in it as I have it for breakfast with fresh fruit just give a teaspoonful is about the amount that I've given. As for the charcoal biscuits about 2 per day at least. My local wee pet shop sells them but Pets at Home sell them loose theirs are shaped like bones.

Simpsons kibble was quite dark so it could be staining his beard also his saliva could also be staining.

Fergus is a gorgeous boy
Christine & Gino (Siglette Shadow (born 9/5/17 ---

Suzi (15/5/04---13/4/17) (Sugarbabe) RIP loved you to the moon & back, miss you so so much precious girl
Fergus
First Name: colin

Post by Fergus »

Thanks Christine.
He is lying on my foot at the momment as he does every night after Liz goes to bed.
He lies on her foot when she is here.
Of course he is gorgeous. He looked Identical to Gino until his hair cut changed.
Oscar 12345
First Name: Julie
Dog #1: Oscar RIP Sweety
Born: 21 Dec 2002
Dog #2: Otto
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 04 Jul 2017

Post by Oscar 12345 »

Choose zero fat in the yoghurt if you can. Yeo Valley do a Greek style with zero fat. Also with the charcoal biscuits which Otto absolutely loves, charcoal can interfere with the absorption of nutrients so feed between meals rather than near or just after meals. The other thing that seems to work quite well on beards is wiping down the beard after every meal. I use wet kitchen towel and baby wet wipes work well also.
Man cannot survive with wine alone...
we also need a schnauzer.
rosie+Maddie
First Name: Clare
Dog #1: Rosie
is a: Black Giant Bitch
Born: 01 Mar 2011
Dog #2: Maddie
is a: Black Giant Bitch
Born: 08 Oct 2014

Post by rosie+Maddie »

I have one giant on j.w.b the other is on burns suits them both for there own needs. They also have veg,mince, chicken mixed in at various times of the week. We always soke the meal as well. My mini is on burns puppy and eventually progress to adult burns. As low in fat.
NadiaOr
Puppy
First Name: Nadia
Dog #1: Kimmy
is a: P/S Std Bitch
Born: 28 Sep 2017

Post by NadiaOr »

Strange reaction on Greek yogurt though...I think dry food goes really great with it, with no additives of course. I used to live in Greece, this is a yogurt (and fresh vegetables) paradise ;) My twin sis still lives there with her family and 3 (!) dogs, we both are dog lovers. They bought a house in Athens and there is a lot of space for all of them. Maybe it's not so interesting to live in Greece all the year round, winter is pretty dead, but it's definitely a good (and not too expensive) place for families with big dogs, many places to walk and swim and play!
Aussie508
First Name: Brian

Post by Aussie508 »

Hi there,

We have had Schnauzers for over 20 yrs. and have found that Harringtons dry and wet feed id the best, it has 4 different flavours and is made in Yorkshire and by a pvt. company, easily available in most large stores.