Potato - Itchy Skin?

Need help or advice on feeding your Schnauzer, whether it be kibble or treats, you'll find the information here. There is food reviews, recipes, remedies for poorly tummies and a wealth of feeding knowledge from your fellow Schnauzer owner. We cover BARF in a separate section.
Oscar 12345
First Name: Julie
Dog #1: Oscar RIP Sweety
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 21 Dec 2002
Dog #2: Otto
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 04 Jul 2017

Potato - Itchy Skin?

Post by Oscar 12345 »

I am in the process of changing over to adult food. There are two versions of adult wet food in Naturediet and I went for the grain free which has potato in it. Does anyone know whether potato can cause itchy skin because Otto never scratched and has started to scratch since we started the change over. The puppy food wasn't grain free and had rice in it. I am thinking maybe I should try the grain version.
Man cannot survive with wine alone...
we also need a schnauzer.
zeta1454
First Name: Leigh
Dog #1: Magic
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 20 Apr 2010
Dog #2: Trilby
Born: 15 Mar 2012
Dog #3: Pip
Born: 21 Feb 2014

Re: Potato - Itchy Skin?

Post by zeta1454 »

There can be a number of reasons for itchy skin but, if nothing else has changed for Otto except the food (no spot on treatments, change of washing powder for his bedding, change of shampoo for his bath, no fleas / mites etc.) then you could try him with the food containing rice and see if it does help.

It can be difficult at times to say whether a particular food is always an issue or whether it is the particular extract / source etc that is causing the problem. There has been some debate as to whether grapes, for example, are really toxic for dogs or whether the concern arose after some dogs were affected by grapes that had been sprayed with chemicals to preserve them before sale or from some other substance that naturally occurred on the skin of unwashed grapes.

However, you could have a look at the information on the ingredients directory on the All About Dog Food site which lists meat, fish, vegetables, grains etc separately with some detail on each as regards their use in dog food:

https://www.allaboutdogfood.co.uk/dog-f ... ossary.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. ~Roger Caras

Magic - Silversocks Sharade at Darksprite
Trilby - Darksprite Rosa Bud

https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/C ... 916994967/
Oscar 12345
First Name: Julie
Dog #1: Oscar RIP Sweety
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 21 Dec 2002
Dog #2: Otto
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 04 Jul 2017

Re: Potato - Itchy Skin?

Post by Oscar 12345 »

Thanks Leigh. I think I have discovered the cause. The puppy food had two proteins, chicken and lamb. The adult food is single protein and I moved him on to the lamb first with the intent of also feeding chicken when he had settled on the lamb. Decided to move on to the chicken and scratching seems to be much less. Never ceases to amaze me just how sensitive schnauzers are to some proteins.
Man cannot survive with wine alone...
we also need a schnauzer.