Feeding mini wet food only?

Need help or advice on feeding your Schnauzer, whether it be kibble or treats, you'll find the information here. There is food reviews, recipes, remedies for poorly tummies and a wealth of feeding knowledge from your fellow Schnauzer owner. We cover BARF in a separate section.
TheCaptain
Puppy
First Name: Andy
Dog #1: Oakley

Feeding mini wet food only?

Post by TheCaptain »

Hi, I have posted on here before about my mini having problems with his stomach. He develops some kind of pain in his stomach every 12 weekanornaoand usually late at night or early hours. I have had all kinds of tests done to no avail. He is never sick, never has any issues going the toilet. His temp is usually fine too. I am now considering a raw diet or trying to stop using kibble and just feed him wet gastro food. I have read that some minis react to kibble and frankly I’m willing to try anything. He is nearly 8 and has always been on dry or mixed food. Thoughts??
zeta1454
First Name: Leigh
Dog #1: Magic
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 20 Apr 2010
Dog #2: Trilby
Born: 15 Mar 2012
Dog #3: Pip
Born: 21 Feb 2014

Re: Feeding mini wet food only?

Post by zeta1454 »

Hi Andy - I don't know whether you saw some of the replies to your previous post regarding your mini's pain issues? Maybe none of the comments were helpful but it would be worthwhile IMO to try and see if you can find a holistic vet to have a detailed look at Oakley. If all the conventional tests have drawn a blank as to the cause of Oakley's problem and assuming it is not linked to any regular flea or worming medication being applied or given to him, it might be useful to have a fresh approach to try and work out what is at the root of the problem. A holistic/ homeopathic vet will take a very detailed case history, will be able to suggest a broader range of treatments and may be able to highlight something not previously thought of. In your position it would definitely be my choice before making any random changes although I do believe that dogs do thrive better on a less processed diet than on highly processed kibble.

You certainly can just try raw feeding, as suggested in the replies to your post previously, but it is difficult to be certain when you don't really know the cause of the issue. The regularity of the 12 weeks and the fact that he is neither sick or has diarrhoea does seem strange if it is just his diet. We feed our dogs raw and all are fit and well on it but I would try to see if you can pinpoint the cause of Oakley's pain in any event.
Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. ~Roger Caras

Magic - Silversocks Sharade at Darksprite
Trilby - Darksprite Rosa Bud

https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/C ... 916994967/
TheCaptain
Puppy

Post by TheCaptain »

Thanks for the reply. Which raw do you feed? I will have a look at the holistic vet
zeta1454
First Name: Leigh
Dog #1: Magic
Born: 20 Apr 2010
Dog #2: Trilby
Born: 15 Mar 2012
Dog #3: Pip
Born: 21 Feb 2014

Post by zeta1454 »

TheCaptain wrote:Thanks for the reply. Which raw do you feed? I will have a look at the holistic vet
Currently I am using Wolf Tucker. I alternate Chicken & Beef; Chicken Primal and Beef &'Tripe. There are some guides on feeding on the website or you can contact them for specific advice

http://www.wolftucker.co.uk/?fullSite=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Some of the prepared raw meal suppliers do offer meals for dogs with a sensitive digestion. Natural Instinct and Nutriment for example. They too will probably be able to advise if you wanted to speak to someone before making a choice but here are the links to their sites:

https://www.naturalinstinct.com/special ... w-dog-food" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.nutriment.co/dog-range/low-p ... nutriment/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It may be best to start with quite a simple mix of raw foods as the more ingredients there are the more problem there might be for a dog with a sensitive digestion. Best to avoid high fat meats too such as lamb or duck. The fat content should be given for each meal and I tend to look for not much more than 10% fat with our dogs. Raw green tripe as a meal or part of a meal can be excellent for dogs too.
Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. ~Roger Caras

Magic - Silversocks Sharade at Darksprite
Trilby - Darksprite Rosa Bud

https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/C ... 916994967/
mike t
Puppy
First Name: mike

Post by mike t »

This may have already been covered but its highly advisable not to feed raw and wet tinned or dry food at the same time as they have different rates of absorption/digestion and can cause pain for the dog

Our Purdey has exactly the same problem and we have tried all foods. She is never sick but around 12am she starts to breath heavy and if you feel her stomach its very hard with a lump in the same place every time so we have to lightly massage it until the lump goes and the stomach gets softer.

Its not perfect but the best results we have had to date are with royal canin wet SENSITIVE variety, but she still gets a lesser version of her problem. So we may well be off to a holistic vet as well

Mike
TheCaptain
Puppy

Post by TheCaptain »

Mike many thanks for this, sounds similar. Does pursdey scoot around in circles yelping? How often does she suffer with this? Do you feed kibble too?

Thanks