Feeding amount

Need help or advice on feeding your Schnauzer, whether it be kibble or treats, you'll find the information here. There is food reviews, recipes, remedies for poorly tummies and a wealth of feeding knowledge from your fellow Schnauzer owner. We cover BARF in a separate section.
monikaarmonika
First Name: Monika

Feeding amount

Post by monikaarmonika »

Hi everyone!
I have question about feeding amount in grams per day.
Our boy is 3 months old, how much food (in grams) he should get to be fit?
Maybe where is a feeding chart just for miniature schnauzer?
Now my boy gets food 4 times per day, we are going to 3 times, but we are lost in all opinions about feeding amounts.
When change feeding from food for puppy to adult food? we are thinking about to start step by step, is it good time?

Please help us :)
zeta1454
First Name: Leigh
Dog #1: Magic
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 20 Apr 2010
Dog #2: Trilby
Born: 15 Mar 2012
Dog #3: Pip
Born: 21 Feb 2014

Re: Feeding amount

Post by zeta1454 »

Hi Monika - Feeding charts are always very general and are based on the nutrients and calories in each brand of food.
Are you feeding raw food or dry food? There should be some guidelines on the packaging of either type if you are feeding ready prepared food or on the website of the company producing the food. Has the breeder of your puppy given you any guidelines?

For our puppies we usually move from three meals a day at two months old to two meals a day at around six months of age. We feed a prepared raw food and give approximately the amount in total that is appropriate for an adult miniature schnauzer. This works out on a scale from about 10% of the puppy's weight initially moving through 6% as they grow to 2-3% of their weight once they reach adult size.

If you are not feeding raw food, I would check with your puppy's breeder for their advice if they have used the same food you give your pup. If not, check the packaging or the website of the brand you use for some guidelines. Dogs do vary in their metabolism so you will still need to check how your puppy is growing - he should be gaining weight steadily until he is adult.

Changing from puppy food to adult food does not need a gradual change. You could move to adult food at around six months when you go to two meals a day or move sooner. Again, depending on what type of food you are feeding, puppy food may be designed with more calories or a different formula than the adult food especially if you are feeding dried food. You will need to check that the food has good quality ingredients with a high (80%) meat content especially for puppies.
Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. ~Roger Caras

Magic - Silversocks Sharade at Darksprite
Trilby - Darksprite Rosa Bud

https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/C ... 916994967/
mikegoodson1
First Name: Mike
Dog #1: Oscar
is a: Black Mini Dog
Born: 17 Oct 2015
Dog #2: Sasha
is a: B/S Mini Bitch
Born: 23 Sep 2017

Post by mikegoodson1 »

Just following up on what Leigh said really, you are best to check the website of the brand of food (if kibble) you are feeding your puppy.

We fed Oscar and then Sasha 'Arden Grange puppy' which the breeder was feeding them and recommended (even though the people at the large pet store we shopped at, turned their nose up at this brand of food, telling us it wasn't very good. My comment was, why sell it then...but I digress..), they have now both moved over to 'McAdams small breed' kibble: https://mcadamspetfoods.com/

The portion size in grams for Sasha (4-5 months old) for the Arden Grange was smaller than the McAdams. This could be because the McAdams is a larger size kibble and so more is needed.

I just checked what she should be getting, measured it out on our kitchen scales then poured that into a plastic tumbler and marked the line in marker pen, ensuring every morning I don't go over the line :)

From memory, I think the portion sizes change based on weight and age of puppy/dog so you need to check in regularly (on the manufacturers website) to ensure you are not under or over feeding ;)
Robin black mini
First Name: Jo
Dog #1: Robin
is a: Black Mini Bitch
Born: 13 Dec 2014
Dog #2: Stanley st poodle
Born: 24 Nov 2012

Post by Robin black mini »

monikaarmonika wrote:Hi everyone!
1...I have question about feeding amount in grams per day.

Our boy is 3 months old, how much food (in grams) he should get to be fit?
Maybe where is a feeding chart just for miniature schnauzer?

2.Now my boy gets food 4 times per day, we are going to 3 times, but we are lost in all opinions about feeding amounts.

3. When change feeding from food for puppy to adult food? we are thinking about to start step by step, is it good time?

Please help us :)
Hi mike..I've divided your query into 3 sections..

Re 1...I feed my 3 yr adult girl 140 grams daily,divided into two..( farmina natural and delicious).we use soaked kibble and a few pieces of boiled rabbit.( 70 dry gms per meal) .a pup could be given approx 150 grams daily. Divided into three meals at this stage..

2. Up to 5 months...3 x per day..approx 50 grams per meal, let him eat his fill..adjust if he needs more or less...you will come to know your pup and feel his ribs to see if he feels covered. We found our pup told us when she didn't want the second meal and we went to twice daily ...

3. I change to adult food at 5 months...140 grams daily twice a day..

Hope this helps :)
Last edited by Robin black mini on 26 Feb 2018, 13:17, edited 1 time in total.
Oscar 12345
First Name: Julie
Dog #1: Oscar RIP Sweety
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 21 Dec 2002
Dog #2: Otto
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 04 Jul 2017

Post by Oscar 12345 »

I must admit to finding the feeding volumes very confusing. Otto is fed on wet Naturediet adult and was on wet puppy formula. I pretty much followed the Naturediet puppy feeding guidelines but gave slightly less as I felt they were on the large side and to allow for treats etc. Otto is now fed on a 390g pack of Naturdiet each day split over 2 meals. I also add some green veg to make it up to 200g each meal. This is identical to my previous schnauzer as I was happy with shape/size. This in weight terms is less than he was on when he was under 6 months. I think the max daily intake for him was about 460g. You can see the difference with some foods. Just posted another pic of 8 month old Otto so you can see the size of him (8kg)
Man cannot survive with wine alone...
we also need a schnauzer.
schnauzer
First Name: Christine
Dog #1: Suzi (RIP) 13/4/17
Born: 15 May 2004
Dog #2: Gino/Siglette Shadow
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 09 May 2017

Post by schnauzer »

Gino is approaching 10 mths on 9th March & is on Burns adult Chicken & Rice. He's getting 80 grams per day ...40 grams twice a day with the evening portion he gets fresh vegetables either Broccoli, carrots or Brussel Sprouts much to husbands disgust.

My last girl was 8.5 kgs for years & had the same quantity of Burns food. She was a healthy girl until she developed a Mass in her lung lost her just 2wks short of her 13th Birthday.
Christine & Gino (Siglette Shadow (born 9/5/17 ---

Suzi (15/5/04---13/4/17) (Sugarbabe) RIP loved you to the moon & back, miss you so so much precious girl