19 week old boy at 6.6kgs

Need help or advice on feeding your Schnauzer, whether it be kibble or treats, you'll find the information here. There is food reviews, recipes, remedies for poorly tummies and a wealth of feeding knowledge from your fellow Schnauzer owner. We cover BARF in a separate section.
Enoshmylove40
First Name: Wilma

19 week old boy at 6.6kgs

Post by Enoshmylove40 »

Hey all. My mr Enosh is currently 19 weeks old and weighing in at 6.6kgs. I cannot believe it. He only gets 50g of Hills puppy food 3 times a day, to make 150g a day. Is that ok? I see from 5-10kgs they must have 150g to 225g a day. What must he be on? Does he still get 3 feeds a day? He gets very little inbetween, maybe a biscuit or so for being awesome! I would appreciate help!
zeta1454
First Name: Leigh
Dog #1: Magic
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 20 Apr 2010
Dog #2: Trilby
Born: 15 Mar 2012
Dog #3: Pip
Born: 21 Feb 2014

Re: 19 week old boy at 6.6kgs

Post by zeta1454 »

Hi Wilma and welcome to the Forum :-)

Has Enosh been checked by a vet regarding his weight or have you spoken to his breeder about this. It is hard to know what to expect of a puppy's weight without knowing whether he is from a line of large mini schnauzers ( I assume he is a miniature schnauzer?) Puppies do eat a lot when they are growing but it is also possible that the guidelines on the Hills food is recommending too much.

We have a mini schnauzer girl that is 6.5 kg as an adult although we have had adult minis at 7-8 kg. However some people have mini schnauzers that are quite large as compared to the breed standard so you would need to know whether his parents were on the large side.

You could cut back his meals to two a day from about 6-9 months old - we usually move to two a day at six months but it can depend on the puppy as some still need the extra meal so they are not getting too large an amount in each of the two meals. We feed our dogs raw meat so I cannot comment on the quantities generally re Hills food. Exercise and metabolism can also affect how much individual puppies need to eat.
Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. ~Roger Caras

Magic - Silversocks Sharade at Darksprite
Trilby - Darksprite Rosa Bud

https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/C ... 916994967/
Robin black mini
First Name: Jo
Dog #1: Robin
is a: Black Mini Bitch
Born: 13 Dec 2014
Dog #2: Stanley st poodle
Born: 24 Nov 2012

Post by Robin black mini »

I have a stocky girl,not fat,not tall ( 13 inches)but stocky at 9.6 kg.... The breeder said his adults were around 8 kg...
I can feel her ribs and she does have a modest waist,so we are happy with her.
She is 9.6 kg at three years,she reached and stayed this wt at one year..at 8 m I recall she was 8 kg ,before her spay.
I feed 140 gms dry a day in two meals..
I cut to two meals at 5 m and changed to adult food at that time.as I have with all past pups.
We feed natural and delicious,medium,low grain,with some fish,or rabbit etc..but total 140 gmdaily.

If you are in touch with your breeder I would give him a ring and ask him if this is normal expected wt for a pup of this age ..he should know his dogs,the parents weights etc and give you a better idea.
Oscar 12345
First Name: Julie
Dog #1: Oscar RIP Sweety
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 21 Dec 2002
Dog #2: Otto
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 04 Jul 2017

Post by Oscar 12345 »

Wilma, does he look overweight? If not don't worry about the weight. I would pro rata the feed for his current weight if you are happy with his size and shape so 5kg in weight is 150 gms and 10kg is 225 gm work out what 6.6kgs is in gms. Do that over 3 meals until 6 months. If you think he looks slightly overweight then I would be inclined to keep the same food amount and not increase it but up the play exercise knowing that he is going to grow and fill out over next few months.
Man cannot survive with wine alone...
we also need a schnauzer.
Enoshmylove40
First Name: Wilma

Post by Enoshmylove40 »

Thank you so much for the responses. I am a new dog owner and it is all new to us. He does not look overweight or big, what I will do is, contact the breeder, and also take him for a check up as he also needs to be dewormed. That will help me much, I am sure the vet can also tell me how much to give him. I appreciate all the help!
mikegoodson1
First Name: Mike
Dog #1: Oscar
is a: Black Mini Dog
Born: 17 Oct 2015
Dog #2: Sasha
is a: B/S Mini Bitch
Born: 23 Sep 2017

Post by mikegoodson1 »

I have seen many mini-Schnauzers and they do vary in weight and size, presumably depending on the size of their 'mum and dad' and obviously diet/exercise. Sasha, my 9 month old mini is now 9 months old and weighs in at 8.5kg - she look good, narrows in at the waist and gets plenty of exercise and play. At 19 weeks old she weighed in at 5.7kg.

Oscar, my 2.5 year mini, weighs in at a heavy 13.5kg and is definitely over-weight, doesn't narrow in at the waist and needs to go on a diet but he also gets plenty of exercise and play. *In fairness, it's not his fault he is over-weight, it's mine. He gets quite a few treats and loves his toast with butter (a weekend treat when I am home for breakfast) :(

Both Sasha and Oscar's dog folks (who are the same) were both on the stocky side so I suspect it's in their genes. Saying that, I have seem some mini's where I think they definitely need feeding up a little more :)
Oscar 12345
First Name: Julie
Dog #1: Oscar RIP Sweety
Born: 21 Dec 2002
Dog #2: Otto
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 04 Jul 2017

Post by Oscar 12345 »

Mike, a less fat treat for Oscar is toast without the butter but a little bit of brown sauce which is zero fat, Otto's favourite breakfast treat. :)
Man cannot survive with wine alone...
we also need a schnauzer.
Dawnspell
First Name: Alison
Dog #1: Barney RIP 8/3/19
is a: White Mini Dog
Born: 06 Feb 2013
Dog #2: Jasper
is a: White Mini Dog
Born: 25 Apr 2019

Post by Dawnspell »

I've got one of the big boys. Barney weighs in at 12.5kg. He had his vet check the other week and the vet said he has lovely muscle body condition and it was so nice to see a dog at the right weight for their size as he sees so many that are overweight. He's nearly 16" at the shoulder. He always looks bigger but I have to say slimmer than a lot of schnauzers we meet !

His parents were breed standard size but I've since found out there was a larger mini in his history, his cousin is also a big boy from breed standard parents.

Just make sure you can feel his ribs and he has a defined waist.
Our first family dog
Barney - Pocketpark Biali Eyebright 6/2/13 - 8/3/19 Gone too soon
Motto for owners who groom their own Schnauzers -"Never mind it'll soon grow back"
schnauzer
First Name: Christine
Dog #1: Suzi (RIP) 13/4/17
Born: 15 May 2004
Dog #2: Gino/Siglette Shadow
Born: 09 May 2017

Post by schnauzer »

My Gino will be 14 months in 10days, he had a weight check yesterday at our vet & he's now 7.7kgs, my last girl was 8.5 kgs for years
Christine & Gino (Siglette Shadow (born 9/5/17 ---

Suzi (15/5/04---13/4/17) (Sugarbabe) RIP loved you to the moon & back, miss you so so much precious girl