Raw marrow bones

Need help or advice on feeding your Schnauzer, whether it be kibble or treats, you'll find the information here. There is food reviews, recipes, remedies for poorly tummies and a wealth of feeding knowledge from your fellow Schnauzer owner. We cover BARF in a separate section.
Oscar 12345
First Name: Julie
Dog #1: Oscar RIP Sweety
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 21 Dec 2002
Dog #2: Otto
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 04 Jul 2017

Raw marrow bones

Post by Oscar 12345 »

Does anyone feed their mini's raw marrow bones and if so where do you source them? I have been taking a look and one website (Natures menu) says for experienced raw feeders. Is that because of the mix of raw and now raw food in the diet or something else?? Would appreciate being a little more educated on this. Thanks.
Man cannot survive with wine alone...
we also need a schnauzer.
zeta1454
First Name: Leigh
Dog #1: Magic
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 20 Apr 2010
Dog #2: Trilby
Born: 15 Mar 2012
Dog #3: Pip
Born: 21 Feb 2014

Re: Raw marrow bones

Post by zeta1454 »

I don't necessarily think the warning regarding "experienced" raw feeders would be due to the mix if someone was feeding non raw food generally. I think maybe it is because you need to be careful especially with small breed dogs to select the right size of bone and to monitor how they are managing with them as weight bearing bones such as marrow bones can be very hard and potentially can cause teeth problems (splintering etc). The pleasure for the dog is really getting out the marrow and/or stripping off any attached meat rather than just gnawing at a bone.

Years ago when I was a child, we had a golden retriever dog that was fed tinned food and biscuit but my Mum used to get huge marrow bones from the butcher for our dog to gnaw at. It used to stink after a while and was definitely not hygienic looking back although neither I nor the dog became ill! Nowadays, I would favour getting marrow bones from a raw food supplier rather than a butcher as they will be frozen at very low temperatures which should kill off bacteria and so be a bit more hygienic but maybe I am worrying too much as I know many people do buy from good butcher shops and presumably with no issues.

Natural Instinct sell "play bones" of various sizes which are marrow bones and our dogs have enjoyed these in the past. Other raw food suppliers will doubtless do these type of bones too.

https://www.naturalinstinct.com/play-bones-small

The problem we have (due to having so many dogs) is making sure that they all have their own space to chew at this type of food as they can become very possessive over them and will not tolerate the others trying to get theirs! You will want to be able to take the bone away periodically though as they are not going to get through even a small one in one sitting. We gave them about an hour at a time and then took the bones away and wrapped them back in the freezer. The marrow can give them loose poo if they have a lot at one sitting and you do need to be sure that the bone is not too small that it can be swallowed (as with a chicken wing by a greedy dog!) but not too big that it is hard for them to deal with successfully.

We have found lamb ribs or beef trachea type chew treats more successful with ours as they are less hard and, with the smaller softer items such as trachea, they may eat a whole one so no need to worry about re-freezing. The other chew treat they love are the puffed dried chicken feet which do have nutritional value as well as being a pleasure for the dogs :-)

There is a useful link here re bones anyway :-) :

http://www.rawfeedingrebels.com/feeding-bones-safely/
Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. ~Roger Caras

Magic - Silversocks Sharade at Darksprite
Trilby - Darksprite Rosa Bud

https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/C ... 916994967/
Oscar 12345

Post by Oscar 12345 »

Thanks Leigh, very helpful.
Oscar 12345

Post by Oscar 12345 »

Just ordered some lamb ribs to try from Natures Menu.
zeta1454
First Name: Leigh
Dog #1: Magic
Born: 20 Apr 2010
Dog #2: Trilby
Born: 15 Mar 2012
Dog #3: Pip
Born: 21 Feb 2014

Post by zeta1454 »

Hope Otto enjoys them :-)
Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. ~Roger Caras

Magic - Silversocks Sharade at Darksprite
Trilby - Darksprite Rosa Bud

https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/C ... 916994967/
Schnauzer Sam
First Name: Sam
Dog #1: Rosie
Born: 06 Jul 2017
Dog #2: Edie
Born: 11 Jun 2018

Post by Schnauzer Sam »

Julie,

I buy a bone from Waitrose for Rosie. It's not that we think she should have nothing but the best, we only have Waitrose, M&S, Iceland and the Co-op in Guernsey. They are sold as "beef bone marrow" and cost £1. It's a thigh bone that's been sawn in length to fully expose the bone marrow. What Leigh mentioned above I can vouch for in experience. Letting Rosie have the whole bone leads to a Code Alert Brown situation so I now remove about 2/3 of the marrow by scooping it out with a spoon leaving the rest for Rosie to have.

She absolutely loves the bone and at bedtime we have learnt to take it off her, wrap it in cling film and let her see us put it in the fridge otherwise she worries about the blessed thing overnight!! Usually after her first pee of the day she will sit at the fridge waiting for the bone to be offered up again.
Country Girl at Heart (Molly) 8 April 2003 - 22 December 2018

You're never alone when you own a schnauzer

https://www.facebook.com/pg/Rosie-and-E ... 872588622/
Dawnspell
First Name: Alison
Dog #1: Barney RIP 8/3/19
is a: White Mini Dog
Born: 06 Feb 2013
Dog #2: Jasper
is a: White Mini Dog
Born: 25 Apr 2019

Post by Dawnspell »

Waitrose are also doing lamb ribs (in cold meat section)at the moment that work out cheaper than natures menu at the pet shop. Waitrose frozen lamb hearts are also cheaper than Natures menu for 2.
Waitrose also got Forthglade cold pressed 2 bags for £11. Who says waitrose is expensive =))
Our first family dog
Barney - Pocketpark Biali Eyebright 6/2/13 - 8/3/19 Gone too soon
Motto for owners who groom their own Schnauzers -"Never mind it'll soon grow back"
Oscar 12345

Post by Oscar 12345 »

Sam, that is so funny.

Thanks Alison, useful to know.