Puppy feed for Miniature

Need help or advice on feeding your Schnauzer, whether it be kibble or treats, you'll find the information here. There is food reviews, recipes, remedies for poorly tummies and a wealth of feeding knowledge from your fellow Schnauzer owner. We cover BARF in a separate section.
dezza
Puppy
First Name: Stephen

Puppy feed for Miniature

Post by dezza »

Hello,
We are feeding our glorious 7 month old Wainrights grain free puppy 12-18 months and have been advised to cut him down from 3 feeds 55 gm to 2.
We would please welcome advice as to what is appropriate.
Many thanks.
James
zeta1454
First Name: Leigh
Dog #1: Magic
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 20 Apr 2010
Dog #2: Trilby
Born: 15 Mar 2012
Dog #3: Pip
Born: 21 Feb 2014

Re: Puppy feed for Miniature

Post by zeta1454 »

Hi James,
Hopefully someone on the Forum who uses this food will be able to offer specific advice, if the guidelines for feeding on the pack are not helpful. Usually when moving from 3-2 meals for a puppy you would keep the overall quantity the same but just divide it between two rather than three meals so approx 80 gm at each of two meals. Puppies and dogs do vary sometimes quite considerably as regards their metabolism so it is best to judge how well your puppy is developing and adjust the overall quantity you are feeding accordingly to keep him fit but not fat!

You may need to reduce the quantity once he has reached his full adult height and weight but things such as natural metabolism, amount of exercise and whether or not he is castrated (as an adult) will all need to be taken into account at that time.
Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. ~Roger Caras

Magic - Silversocks Sharade at Darksprite
Trilby - Darksprite Rosa Bud

https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/C ... 916994967/
Robin black mini
First Name: Jo
Dog #1: Robin
is a: Black Mini Bitch
Born: 13 Dec 2014
Dog #2: Stanley st poodle
Born: 24 Nov 2012

Post by Robin black mini »

I cut my mini back to two meals around five and a half months..140 gms daily,female dog,13 inches tall..( small but stocky)
I feed a kibble with some grain..ancestral grain such as oats etc..farmina n/ d ancestral grain.. We do give other foods such as fish,meat( rabbit) but cut back kibble so as not to overfeed..
in July the American fda have expressed some concerns about feeding grain free kibble saying it could be connected to heart issues in dogs..and to especially avoid grain free foods containing dried lentils,peas as fillers.

In first link the mini schnauzer is mentioned..
https://www.fda.gov/animalveterinary/ne ... 613305.htm
https://www.americanveterinarian.com/ne ... rt-disease
Oscar 12345
First Name: Julie
Dog #1: Oscar RIP Sweety
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 21 Dec 2002
Dog #2: Otto
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 04 Jul 2017

Post by Oscar 12345 »

Jo, I have heard about this but I think a lot of the research points to DCM in these "new breeds" being caused by taurine deficiency in some diets where veg plays a major part and meat such as dark meat chicken and turkey (large sources of taurine) are minor parts or non-existent. The studies have shown that where the breed/dog was not predisposed to the condition, when taurine was given the condition reversed itself. I don't think people should be put off grain free foods because of the article you have shared. A balanced diet is really important and dogs shouldn't be fed a purely vegetarian diet.
Man cannot survive with wine alone...
we also need a schnauzer.
Robin black mini
First Name: Jo
Dog #1: Robin
is a: Black Mini Bitch
Born: 13 Dec 2014
Dog #2: Stanley st poodle
Born: 24 Nov 2012

Post by Robin black mini »

Julie..the ancestral grain food I feed also contains chicken,i don't support any dog on a completely vegetarian diet either....my point was suggesting that ancestral grains were healthy for the dog,(unlike grain s such as maize etc)..so it's another option rather than going onto grain free per se....
As for the reports,the research is obviously ongoing...taurine insufficiency is mentioned in low number of dog breeds Who do need taurine supplements in diet ,( spaniels labs and Newfoundlands ) )but not all breeds...it's an interesting read and obviously we must all decide what suits us best.

this link explains better than I..
https://m.onlynaturalpet.com/holistic-h ... catos.aspx
zeta1454
First Name: Leigh
Dog #1: Magic
Born: 20 Apr 2010
Dog #2: Trilby
Born: 15 Mar 2012
Dog #3: Pip
Born: 21 Feb 2014

Post by zeta1454 »

Jo and Julie thank you for the information and for the links (Jo) - this is an interesting topic which I have been looking into recently since reading about it on a Facebook page. I have started a thread separately from this one as it is an important topic and just to separate from the puppy feeding query of the OP :-)
Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. ~Roger Caras

Magic - Silversocks Sharade at Darksprite
Trilby - Darksprite Rosa Bud

https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/C ... 916994967/