Teething puppy off food

Need help or advice on feeding your Schnauzer, whether it be kibble or treats, you'll find the information here. There is food reviews, recipes, remedies for poorly tummies and a wealth of feeding knowledge from your fellow Schnauzer owner. We cover BARF in a separate section.
WynneLottie
Puppy
First Name: Nikki

Teething puppy off food

Post by WynneLottie »

Lottie is now 19 weeks old and has lost a couple of her bottom front teeth. Not sure when this happened but she’s being a bit fussy with her usual food!

She has previously wolfed down her meals (morning and evening) but now she just sniffs and walks away or will eat a few pieces and then leave it. We’ve always soaked her dry food to make it a bit softer but she seems to prefer the crunch at the moment.

We’re following guidance from our puppy training and taking it away if she’s left it for longer than 4 minutes. However, if I put a couple of bits of grated cheese, salmon or tuna in the bottom she will eat the lot! Don’t want to have to do this at every meal for obvious reasons. Is she just trying it on with us? She has no problem wanting treats though and is happy enough in herself. I know she won’t go hungry but as new puppy parents we can’t help worrying.
Dawnspell
First Name: Alison
Dog #1: Barney RIP 8/3/19
is a: White Mini Dog
Born: 06 Feb 2013
Dog #2: Jasper
is a: White Mini Dog
Born: 25 Apr 2019

Re: Teething puppy off food

Post by Dawnspell »

To relieve her gums put a damp sock in the freezer. When it's frozen give her it to play with, it will give her gums some relief.

They all seem to go through a phase of fussy eating at teething time so don't worry too much as you say she won't starve, but like us will always like the ice cream before Brussels sprouts =))
Our first family dog
Barney - Pocketpark Biali Eyebright 6/2/13 - 8/3/19 Gone too soon
Motto for owners who groom their own Schnauzers -"Never mind it'll soon grow back"
Oscar 12345
First Name: Julie
Dog #1: Oscar RIP Sweety
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 21 Dec 2002
Dog #2: Otto
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 04 Jul 2017

Re: Teething puppy off food

Post by Oscar 12345 »

Could also be that your food is a bit bland/boring for her and if you get the reaction you describe just from adding a bit of real food then I would continue to add it. Nothing wrong with adding a bit of veg, scrambled egg, spring water tuna, salmon, minced turkey, cottage cheese etc careful with the grated cheese though.

I used to use a frozen face cloth rolled length wise for cooling down gums.
Man cannot survive with wine alone...
we also need a schnauzer.