Warning re ingredients of dog chews

Need help or advice on feeding your Schnauzer, whether it be kibble or treats, you'll find the information here. There is food reviews, recipes, remedies for poorly tummies and a wealth of feeding knowledge from your fellow Schnauzer owner. We cover BARF in a separate section.
zeta1454
First Name: Leigh
Dog #1: Magic
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 20 Apr 2010
Dog #2: Trilby
Born: 15 Mar 2012
Dog #3: Pip
Born: 21 Feb 2014

Warning re ingredients of dog chews

Post by zeta1454 »

A friend of ours in the US recently went through the devastating loss of one of her dogs due to a dental chew that became lodged in his oesophagus. The issue was less with the fact that it had caused a blockage but that it began to swell and then harden causing irreparable damage to the oesophagus and his death on the operating table. The full details are shared at her request not necessarily to say that these chews are to be avoided at all cost but to highlight to other dog owners that there can be dangers in some of the most innocuous treats:

"WARNING!!!!!! I am posting this information because of what happened to my Affenpinscher Mojo. At the end of the post are ingredients to avoid I'm dog chews..... I hope that this information will save others from the pain, sorrow and loss of their beloved pet.

On Sept. 7, 2018 I had to make the choice to release my darling Affenpinscher, Mojo from this world. Mojo died from chewing and swallowing a piece of a dental chew called a Brushees which is part of the Whimzee brand of dog chews. The dental chew caught in his esophagus...he did not demonstrate signs of choke but he threw up foam everytime he tried to drink water or eat the tiniest bit of mashed up food. I rushed him to the vet as soon as he started throwing up, he had a physical exam, blood tests, x-rays which showed nothing distinctive at the time, and finally a trip to a surgical vet.

What happened is the material of the dental chew swelled up and then became hard and adhered to the tissue of his esophagus. He was given more x-rays which showed an indistinct image in the esophagus. He was then given an endoscope, stomach surgery, thoracic surgery. The material of the chew had swollen up, turned hard and stuck to his esophagus. The surgeons could not remove it with out tearing a hole in his esophagus. He never woke up.

I am devastated but what is so horrible is that even my vet was not aware of the nature of this product when it attracts moisture from the dog’s body. Nowhere in the pet store where I purchased it is there a visible warning for this dental chew. It is in mouse type hidden on the box under the shelf lip and at that it refers to choking not the danger of swelling and attaching to tissue.

I am making it my mission to contact as many people as I can on social media including vets about the dangers of this product. Yes, it happens not with great frequency...but what if it was your dog. The warning should be clearer on the products so pet owners can make an educated and informed choice.

I suggest not giving these dental chews to your dog. Mine chewed on them for over a year without incident but now I have lost the most beautiful loving little guy and my heart is broken. I hope no one has to go through this.

Here are some things to be aware of...... Dental chews are a very different composite than ordinary dog biscuits or treats.

Look for these ingredients and then STAY AWAY!!!
• Gelatin, which can be toxic
• Hydrogenated starch hydrolysate, an artificial sweetener
• Soy protein isolate, a known allergen and potentially cancer-causing
• Propyl gallate, a preservative which is also potentially carcinogenic
Make sure to read the ingredient panel on any product before you make a purchase.
A high-quality dental dog bone will NOT contain:
• Wheat, gluten, soy or corn
• Saturated fat or trans fat
• Added sugar or salt
• Animal byproducts (gelatin, animal glycerin)
• Chemical preservatives
• Artificial flavors or colors
Even the “green” brand of dental chew contains unhealthy fillers and additives. When you factor in their potential to lodge in your dog’s digestive tract and cause an obstruction, many vets strongly advise against them!!!!
Please share this information with as many dog lovers as possible.
Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. ~Roger Caras

Magic - Silversocks Sharade at Darksprite
Trilby - Darksprite Rosa Bud

https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/C ... 916994967/
Oscar 12345
First Name: Julie
Dog #1: Oscar RIP Sweety
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 21 Dec 2002
Dog #2: Otto
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 04 Jul 2017

Re: Warning re ingredients of dog chews

Post by Oscar 12345 »

Leigh, what a sad story and an unbearable loss for your friend. This is a very valuable post for us all.
Man cannot survive with wine alone...
we also need a schnauzer.