Ever tried cutting a pizzle ?

Need help or advice on feeding your Schnauzer, whether it be kibble or treats, you'll find the information here. There is food reviews, recipes, remedies for poorly tummies and a wealth of feeding knowledge from your fellow Schnauzer owner. We cover BARF in a separate section.
Dawnspell
First Name: Alison
Dog #1: Barney RIP 8/3/19
is a: White Mini Dog
Born: 06 Feb 2013
Dog #2: Jasper
Born: 25 Apr 2019

Ever tried cutting a pizzle ?

Post by Dawnspell »

Barney isn't a great chewer he never has been. I normally try to get pizzles around half inch diameter. These last him a few days having an occasional chew. He does love them but not the hard chew.

I saw some on the internet for "toy breeds" I thought they'd be perfect. I think they sent the wrong ones they're at least an inch diameter. I gave him one, 2 weeks later it had a couple of teeth indentations and that's it :)) I thought cutting them in half lengthways would solve the problem. Boy are they tough, hacksaw left a little indentation, next was clamp half in the vice and using electric saw with different blades try cutting from other end, they just choked up the blade and got hot.

I'd just sharpened my heavy duty loppers so thought I'd try those. It worked but was still like cutting through a thick branch. Now I have double the amount of pizzles I purchased and a happy dog :D Dogs really do have strong jaws to get through those.
Our first family dog
Barney - Pocketpark Biali Eyebright 6/2/13 - 8/3/19 Gone too soon
Motto for owners who groom their own Schnauzers -"Never mind it'll soon grow back"
mikegoodson1
First Name: Mike
Dog #1: Oscar
is a: Black Mini Dog
Born: 17 Oct 2015
Dog #2: Sasha
is a: B/S Mini Bitch
Born: 23 Sep 2017

Re: Ever tried cutting a pizzle ?

Post by mikegoodson1 »

:)

I have never tried my two with a pizzle - they tend to get a split antler each although why I buy two is beyond me! I bought them one each yesterday afternoon as a present, dutifully made them sit whilst I handed them one each. Typically Sasha only ever wanted the one Oscar had.

If he was chewing the one I gave him, she sat and waited for that. When they swapped over (so he was then gnawing at the one she had been given in the first place) she sat and waited for that one.

She really is a pickle, she is like that with toys too, she only wants to play with the one he has!

Anyway, back to the pizzle, maybe I will try one and see how they get on. Do they smell or mark the carpet??
Schnauzer Sam
First Name: Sam
Dog #1: Rosie
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 06 Jul 2017
Dog #2: Edie
Born: 11 Jun 2018

Post by Schnauzer Sam »

Regarding Mike's situation. My two are the same though Edie doesn't sit and wait for Rosie to finish - she just goes and gets what she wants! Rosie will usually just take the other one until Edie comes for it and then will go back to the original. Every now and then they have a bit of a wrestle for something but it never gets out of hand.

With regards to the pizzle, I had no idea what a it was but having looked it up on google I can now say that I'm enlightened :)
Country Girl at Heart (Molly) 8 April 2003 - 22 December 2018

You're never alone when you own a schnauzer

https://www.facebook.com/pg/Rosie-and-E ... 872588622/
Dawnspell

Post by Dawnspell »

Mike they can be a bit whiffy but no worse than dried tripe. I don't mind the pong really its only as they chew. If they leave off and it dries it doesn't smell. Never noticed any stains from them but we have patterned carpet.

Sam bet you crossed your legs at the thought of loppers chopping it in two :))
Our first family dog
Motto for owners who groom their own Schnauzers -"Never mind it'll soon grow back"
Oscar 12345
First Name: Julie
Dog #1: Oscar RIP Sweety
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 21 Dec 2002
Dog #2: Otto
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 04 Jul 2017

Post by Oscar 12345 »

Alison, can you send a link of the ones that you like.
Man cannot survive with wine alone...
we also need a schnauzer.
Dawnspell

Post by Dawnspell »

If you re just wanting to try the boys with one, independent pet stores normally sell them individually. I just object to paying same price for skinny little one as a big fat one as they're normally in a big bin :)) Most pets shops stock the Hollings packets of pizzles but Barneys not always liked that brand.

I can't find the ones I got. I used to get rocco ones from zooplus when I ordered cold pressed food online. They weren't too big and a good price. Barney also likes the calf hooves (as opposed to cow hooves which are much bigger) and they're not full of gunk like some pet shop ones. He also likes the dried chicken necks from them. Just in case you were wanting any chew recommendations from Barney =)) He is fussy so for him to like them its a good recommendation.
Our first family dog
Oscar 12345

Post by Oscar 12345 »

Thanks, will check them out.
Oscar 12345

Post by Oscar 12345 »

Will have to pass on these, unsure they will pass the stinkometer test for treats. :D
Dawnspell

Post by Dawnspell »

Oscar 12345 wrote: 04 Oct 2018, 18:45 Will have to pass on these, unsure they will pass the stinkometer test for treats. :D
=)) wimp :ymdevil:
Our first family dog
Schnauzer Sam
First Name: Sam
Dog #1: Rosie
Born: 06 Jul 2017
Dog #2: Edie
Born: 11 Jun 2018

Post by Schnauzer Sam »

I'm passing too as I'm worried about feeling inadequate :)
Country Girl at Heart (Molly) 8 April 2003 - 22 December 2018

You're never alone when you own a schnauzer

https://www.facebook.com/pg/Rosie-and-E ... 872588622/