Dropping to 2 feeds - pup not hungry

Need help or advice on feeding your Schnauzer, whether it be kibble or treats, you'll find the information here. There is food reviews, recipes, remedies for poorly tummies and a wealth of feeding knowledge from your fellow Schnauzer owner. We cover BARF in a separate section.
Kazzi
First Name: Karen

Dropping to 2 feeds - pup not hungry

Post by Kazzi »

Hello All
Coco is 6 months in a week & I'm trying to reduce her from 3 to 2 feeds. She stopped being particularly hungry in the mornings about a week ago (coincided with her coming into season). I thought by reducing her to 2 meals that she would be hungry again in the mornings but it seems she's not a morning pup! She doesn't really want to eat until about 10am & even then needs a little enticing with a tasty biscuit treat on top of her food (forthglade wet & dry).

This schedule doesn't work for me, although I am at home to feed her it's not convenient. How can I get her to move into a more convenient schedule? I know her season is probably complicating things but regardless she obviously isn't hungry enough for 3 feeds anymore. I don't think I'm overfeeding her as she has a good shape to her & although slightly more tired & a little less active with her season I think she's exercised ok - 1 x 30/35minute walk with either a later walk of 10 mins or a good chase about in the garden with a ball for as long as she dictates.

What do you think?
Oscar 12345
First Name: Julie
Dog #1: Oscar RIP Sweety
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 21 Dec 2002
Dog #2: Otto
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 04 Jul 2017

Re: Dropping to 2 feeds - pup not hungry

Post by Oscar 12345 »

Karen, I think most of us switch to 2 feeds from 6 months. I am a bit confused.... if you are home to feed her why can't you put the food down at 10am? Or why can't you put the food down earlier and leave it until she is ready to eat it? Never had this problem with my greedy schnauzers.
Man cannot survive with wine alone...
we also need a schnauzer.
Kazzi

Post by Kazzi »

Hi Julie, yes I am at home but I guess I should have said not always around at that sort of time & often if I'm out then I can & do bring Coco with me so it would just suit better if she had a "breakfast" rather than a "brunch" :-D If I'm not taking her then I guess I can just leave for her to eat when she's ready, although I was also trying to follow the guide of taking it up if she didn't eat & trying again 15mins later etc. to avoid fussiness.
Oscar 12345
First Name: Julie
Dog #1: Oscar RIP Sweety
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 21 Dec 2002
Dog #2: Otto
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 04 Jul 2017

Post by Oscar 12345 »

Hi Karen, thanks for explaining. I wouldn't worry about those "rules/guidelines" if she was my pet. I would let her do her own thing and let her eat when she is hungry. Different with a much younger pup I think then I would remove any uneaten food.
Man cannot survive with wine alone...
we also need a schnauzer.
zeta1454
First Name: Leigh
Dog #1: Magic
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 20 Apr 2010
Dog #2: Trilby
Born: 15 Mar 2012
Dog #3: Pip
Born: 21 Feb 2014

Post by zeta1454 »

Hi Karen - have you tried reducing the quantity of food you are giving? We know of a few of the families who have had pups from us in the past who mentioned they had started going off their food which baffled us as our dogs demolish their dinners in seconds. When we checked the amounts they were offering it really was far too much. When pups are very young and growing fast they need plenty of food but, as they mature, this reduces and some pups naturally no longer want so much to eat.

Personally, I would not leave food down if she did not want to eat it but we do have so many dogs that it would not still be there anyway! It is up to you if you are happy to let her eat when she wants to and leaving food down. I would try sticking to your chosen meal times but give her less food, even if just for a trial, and see if that makes a difference. If she is still in season that may be affecting her appetite too but you don't want to encourage her to be fussy with times or food if you can help it.
Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. ~Roger Caras

Magic - Silversocks Sharade at Darksprite
Trilby - Darksprite Rosa Bud

https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/C ... 916994967/
Kazzi

Post by Kazzi »

Thanks Julie, I do try not to get too bogged down in rules etc. but I must admit I do love a bit of routine myself :D

Hi Leigh - I did wonder whether I was overfeeding her but as I mention she seems to be a good size & vet was happy at her check a couple of weeks ago. I was getting a little muddled at how much I should be feeding her as I'm giving biscuits as well as meat but perhaps I need to revisit that. She gets her dinner around 5 & a couple of treats at bed so I just expected she'd be hungry & ready to eat come breakfast. She was such a gannet before it'll be interesting to see if she changes again once her season is over.

Hhmmm I've just looked again at the Forthglade packet & she is on the maximum recommended feed so perhaps she no longer needs that amount, I expected a high calorie demand until about a year....based on no knowledge really!