Kibble

Need help or advice on feeding your Schnauzer, whether it be kibble or treats, you'll find the information here. There is food reviews, recipes, remedies for poorly tummies and a wealth of feeding knowledge from your fellow Schnauzer owner. We cover BARF in a separate section.
Figgleypiggley+72
Puppy
First Name: Abigail

Re: Kibble

Post by Figgleypiggley+72 »

Figgleypiggley+72 wrote: 27 Mar 2019, 19:56
Oscar 12345 wrote: 27 Mar 2019, 19:39 Abigail, that's interesting. Otto was weaned on Naturediet puppy and butcher's tripe (oh and a before bedtime half weetabix for some reason). I then moved him on entirely Naturediet puppy at about 3 months. He did extremely well on that and I put him on Naturediet grain free adult at 6 months. Naturediet would be one of my preferred go to wet foods that I would feed if not on raw. You have plenty of time to consider other foods and I wouldn't be changing from what he is on now in the short term especially when you have injections and things to get through and it is rated a high quality feed. If you plan on feeding wet food longer term make sure you train your little one to accept a good teeth cleaning regime because it can affect teeth hygiene quite badly.
That is interesting!

Thanks for advice about changing diet and teeth! I will start teeth cleaning regime straight away. The breeder said not to use a toothbrush at first. She said to use a finger and get pup used to having mouth touched.

Thanks again.
Interesting the weetabix too!!
Figgleypiggley+72
Puppy

zeta1454 wrote: 27 Mar 2019, 17:58 There is a wealth of different types of dog food available nowadays so there is not just a raw v kibble choice. Tinned, pouches, freeze dried, dehydrated, and probably even more ways of processing food and there is no doubt that, as schnauzers can be easy to feed on any kind of food, it may not be a problem finding something that will please and maintain well, a fit, healthy dog. Just research as much as you can and I am sure you will find a food that suits your lifestyle and maintains your puppy through adulthood and into old age fit and well.

As a vegetarian, I was a bit dismayed initially when we had a raw weaned puppy who turned up his nose at any kibble. However, the current availability of prepared raw meat meals from small firms passionate about dogs' well being (and the welfare of the animals whose meat is used in the dog food) makes the BARF approach much easier for anyone unsure about going down that route due to worries over nutritional balance, quality of ingredients and health & safety issues.

I am not "fundamentalist" about raw feeding and believe everyone should make all choices on the health care / feeding of their dog based on their own research and knowledge of what is most appropriate and will maintain well-being into old age. However, information on many aspects of food and healthcare can be (as mentioned above) affected by the vested interests of those giving out that information (pet food manufacturers/ pharmaceutical companies / corporate owned veterinary practices). As regards raw meat and contamination - for example - with Salmonella: this and other bacteria have been isolated from raw meat for dogs and this has been one of the fears used to deter pet owners from feeding their animals as a result. There is no doubt that salmonella can be found in raw meat as it is a widespread bacteria and has also been isolated in kibble, meat for sale for human consumption and even in bagged salads from supermarkets. The health risks to humans and animals due to pets being fed raw meat are not based on actual figures of people or animals becoming ill but on speculation that because bacteria are in meat it could make them ill.

Clearly handling raw meat is not confined to feeding dogs but to any family who prepare meals using raw meat for themselves and exactly the same hygiene precautions used in these circumstances will also protect humans from bacteria in the meat for their dogs' meals. As far as the dogs themselves are concerned, their digestive system has such strong acidity (if raw fed) that the likelihood of becoming sick as a result of salmonella in their food is minimal unless they are already poorly, immune compromised etc.

Prepared raw food for dogs in the UK is subject to DEFRA rules and regulations and inspected regularly. It is frozen at extreme low temperatures which minimise the likelihood of bacterial contamination causing any health issues. There are a couple of links here which explain in more detail:

http://www.rawessentials.co.nz/food-safety-salmonella

https://vetsallnatural.com.au/digesting ... dogs-cats/

This is not to convince you that nothing but raw will do for your puppy and anyone thinking of feeding raw meat to their dogs should do the research into the standards of companies supplying it as with any other type of food, but I just wanted to give some perspective on issues that can be misrepresented in the press or via certain vet surgeries and other pet businesses with links to large corporations who monopolise much of pet service provision worldwide :-)
Hello Leigh,

Thanks for your comprehensive and detailed reply. I will consider the options available and make sure I do my research! I will also talk to the breeder. The breeder also told me that treats that should be used in tiny fragments for training and nothing else.

I really appreciate your time. I want what’s best for my little pup - that’s why I am trying to prepare and doing my research before I pick him up. :)
Figgleypiggley+72
Puppy

Hello all,

Sorry I haven’t replied to some of you yet. Rest assured I will do soon. Thank you for your time and responses. I really appreciate it :)
Figgleypiggley+72
Puppy

Lou78 wrote: 27 Mar 2019, 11:32 Hi Abigail, again as others have said, i can only offer advice based on our own experience.

Personally (and i know this is an unpopular opinion! EEK!) but i don't like the idea of raw feeding and I think it very much depends on you as an individual and your circumstances as to how you feel about this. I eat meat myself but hate handling raw meat or even the smell or having to look at it sometimes and it does turn my stomach just thinking about it! Might just be me! I am weird like that! I know there will be great advocates for raw feeding on here and I do respect that it works for some people.

Anyway, back to dogs! When we first got Ollie he was on kibble only and,...not a very good one! He was 1 year old. Early on, we discovered through trial and error that he needed a grain free food as he seemed to be getting more and more allergy symptoms (itching, bad skin, runny eyes, etc). Since then, we have tried and tested various other dry foods; James Wellbeloved, Skinners, Arden Grange ...to name a few. He is currently on Trophy dry kibble with Forthglade wet food mixed in (also sometimes Sainsburys grain fee or Vets Kitchen grain free pate type for a change) which he seems to enjoy. He is still a fussy eater and has never been one to mither for food. He will eat if he is hungry and that is it! Sometimes he will leave his bowl full of food for some time before he shows any interest. Touch wood though, he seems settled at the moment with this food and hasn't suffered any ill effects.

We do also mix in some carrot or sweet potato or cooked chicken (depending what we have had!) - not every day just now and again. I have recently been trialling a different dry kibble food i bought a sample pack of; Seven Pet Food. Theirs are all grain free i think and Ollie seems to enjoy it. They do a Superfood mix i think i will try next for him to introduce slowly with the one he is on.

If you do decide to go with kibble, have a look on the All About Dog Food site and their directory that rates hundreds of different food out of 5 points and definitely helped me have an idea of what i should be looking for...and what i should be avoiding.

Good luck! It is a minefield once you start looking into these things!
Thanks Louise for getting back to me. Much appreciated advice.

I am not too keen on raw either but I will look at the links that have been suggested and research it all.

I think the consensus on the forum is research, research, research and more research! Also to do whats best for our pups. I am glad that you have found a balance for your lovely boy Ollie. :)