Dog food

Need help or advice on feeding your Schnauzer, whether it be kibble or treats, you'll find the information here. There is food reviews, recipes, remedies for poorly tummies and a wealth of feeding knowledge from your fellow Schnauzer owner. We cover BARF in a separate section.
Ivy1
First Name: Rachel

Dog food

Post by Ivy1 »

Hi I’m new to the forum and would like some advice regarding which brand of dog food to feed my 1.5 year old standard schnauzer
The vet has advised I switch brands and suggested a few different brands such as Hill’s or royal canin but would like to hear what you think
Thank you
Dawnspell
First Name: Alison
Dog #1: Barney RIP 8/3/19
is a: White Mini Dog
Born: 06 Feb 2013
Dog #2: Jasper
is a: White Mini Dog
Born: 25 Apr 2019

Re: Dog food

Post by Dawnspell »

Hi and welcome
I wouldn't feed either of those brands those are ones that are regularly sold by the vets to get you to buy from them. You havent said what you are presently feeding that the vet thinks you should change.
A really good website is allaboutdogfood.co.uk. Grain free is generally the best option you pay more for it but you feed less so it doesnt really work out a lot more expensive and less poo to pick up. I personally wouldnt feed anything that say main source of protein is meat derivatives. This can be anything from an animal not necessarily "meat" as we know it, I dont even feed treat treats with meat derivative in.
Our first family dog
Barney - Pocketpark Biali Eyebright 6/2/13 - 8/3/19 Gone too soon
Motto for owners who groom their own Schnauzers -"Never mind it'll soon grow back"
Oscar 12345
First Name: Julie
Dog #1: Oscar RIP Sweety
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 21 Dec 2002
Dog #2: Otto
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 04 Jul 2017

Post by Oscar 12345 »

Rachel definitely check out that website that Alison mentions and filter on type of food if your mind is set (wet, dry, raw etc.) on the type you want to feed and then rating.
Man cannot survive with wine alone...
we also need a schnauzer.
zeta1454
First Name: Leigh
Dog #1: Magic
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 20 Apr 2010
Dog #2: Trilby
Born: 15 Mar 2012
Dog #3: Pip
Born: 21 Feb 2014

Post by zeta1454 »

Hi Rachel and welcome to the Forum :-)

Why did the vet suggest you needed to change your standard schnauzer's food? As the others have said above, big name brands such as Royal Canin and Hills are low quality foods at a premium price sold by vet practices for a financial benefit to the surgery. The website suggested will give you a good overview of many different brands and types of food with a glossary section that explains just what some of the ingredients in processed dog food actually are.

Personally I would recommend feeding raw and have done so with our dogs for over a decade - it has kept them well, they love it and I prefer to avoid processed food as much as possible. If there is a health reason for the vet suggesting the change of food, that may also influence your choice, of course.
Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. ~Roger Caras

Magic - Silversocks Sharade at Darksprite
Trilby - Darksprite Rosa Bud

https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/C ... 916994967/
Lou78
First Name: Louise
Dog #1: Ollie
Born: 26 Jun 2013

Post by Lou78 »

Definitely have a look at the All About Dog Food site. It was invaluable to us when trying to sort out Ollie's various food problems/intolerances over the years. i know there are a lot of "raw" advocates on here and in general when you talk to other dog owners but I just can't go there (for many reasons i wont go into!). I know that probably is an unpopular way of thinking but...there it is! It took us so long to get allergies under control, that once we found a good grain free dry food and another "topper" we stuck with it. Four years later = happy dog and owners. We mix up the "wet" food for toppers but always has to be grain free and high meat content. Good luck!
qoselzbro999
First Name: Elizabeth

Post by qoselzbro999 »

Hello,
I personally love to feed my dog raw food. I think its consist more nutrition than that of processed food.
Bill
First Name: Bill

Post by Bill »

Here in the states there has been issues with grain free and heart issues? Can anyone speak to that? Just got a 5 year old mini black feeding him Whole Earth Farms Turkey and Chicken small breed grain free. Made by Merrick
Oscar 12345
First Name: Julie
Dog #1: Oscar RIP Sweety
Born: 21 Dec 2002
Dog #2: Otto
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 04 Jul 2017

Post by Oscar 12345 »

A high legume diet with very low levels of proteins containing taurine is the problem. Some poor grain free diets have high levels of veg/legumes as a filler. In the research, those dogs with DCM (heart issues) and on those diets recovered when given taurine supplements. So if your grain free contains high quality turkey and chicken you shouldn't be affected.
Man cannot survive with wine alone...
we also need a schnauzer.