Butternut Box quantities v's RAW diet for 3 month mini puppy

Need help or advice on feeding your Schnauzer, whether it be kibble or treats, you'll find the information here. There is food reviews, recipes, remedies for poorly tummies and a wealth of feeding knowledge from your fellow Schnauzer owner. We cover BARF in a separate section.
Archie720
First Name: Archie

Butternut Box quantities v's RAW diet for 3 month mini puppy

Post by Archie720 »

Hi there, 1st-time poster as we have a 12 week old female Mini. In the last couple of weeks we have transitioned from the breeder's RAW diet to a cooked food (Butternut Box), which whilst wet is slightly drier than RAW. The breeder suggested for the first 6 months that our puppy has 3 meals a day with each meal being 3% of her current body weight. This was based on the weight of RAW food so I wondered if anyone else has transitioned from a RAW diet to a cooked wet food like Butternut Box and if so whether the equation for meal amounts should be different. The vet is happy she is putting on weight but I just wanted some reassurance that we are not over/underfeeding her. As she LOVES her food it is hard to determine this as she wolfs down whatever is put in front of her. Any advice appreciated. Thanks
zeta1454
First Name: Leigh
Dog #1: Magic
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 20 Apr 2010
Dog #2: Trilby
Born: 15 Mar 2012
Dog #3: Pip
Born: 21 Feb 2014

Re: Butternut Box quantities v's RAW diet for 3 month mini puppy

Post by zeta1454 »

I have no experience of moving from raw to cooked but, if you don’t find any specific advice here from someone who has made this switch, it may help to have a chat with one of the Butternut Box team as they do seem to tailor meals to suit particular ages of dog and activity levels etc. from looking at their website.

I wouldn’t get too anxious about percentages of body weight although they are a good ‘rough guide’. Some puppies and dogs have a faster metabolism than others and it is best to just monitor weight and adjust accordingly. If your mini pup is doing well on the amount you are currently feeding, gaining weight steadily and still active and enjoying exercise, I would keep with this for the present. The amount should gradually reduce as she reaches maturity and (at around 6 months of age) the three meals reduce to two. If the vet is happy with her weight then I am sure she is fine on the amounts you are providing :)
Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. ~Roger Caras

Magic - Silversocks Sharade at Darksprite
Trilby - Darksprite Rosa Bud

https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/C ... 916994967/
Oscar 12345
First Name: Julie
Dog #1: Oscar RIP Sweety
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 21 Dec 2002
Dog #2: Otto
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 04 Jul 2017

Re: Butternut Box quantities v's RAW diet for 3 month mini puppy

Post by Oscar 12345 »

I went the other way round, Butternut to raw. Will be interested to know how you get on with it, Otto liked it but I was worried about the legume/lentil content and there was a lot of carrot which didn't get digested either. Otto's poops weren't solid enough so went to raw. I followed the advice of the team on amounts.
Man cannot survive with wine alone...
we also need a schnauzer.