Is it safe to feed a puppy large kibble?

Need help or advice on feeding your Schnauzer, whether it be kibble or treats, you'll find the information here. There is food reviews, recipes, remedies for poorly tummies and a wealth of feeding knowledge from your fellow Schnauzer owner. We cover BARF in a separate section.
ohsosky
First Name: Sky

Is it safe to feed a puppy large kibble?

Post by ohsosky »

Hi all. New around here :) Due to collect our pup next sunday from the breeder. She is feeding the pups Royal Canin at the moment but after researching I wanted to switch to Canagans. They state the food is fine for puppies and adults if you read the feeding guide so I thought all was good.

Silly me ordered this and opened the bag and the size of the kibble is very big round flat pieces compared to the royal canin mini food I bought in. I am a bit worried he will choke on this.. he will be my first dog so really unsure if I should go pick up something else!
zeta1454
First Name: Leigh
Dog #1: Magic
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 20 Apr 2010
Dog #2: Trilby
Born: 15 Mar 2012
Dog #3: Pip
Born: 21 Feb 2014

Re: Is it safe to feed a puppy large kibble?

Post by zeta1454 »

Welcome to the Forum, Sky :)

If you can get a ‘small breed’ bag of Canagan that would probably be better initially. Puppies used to small kibble may have difficulty with large pieces. You could add some warm water to the large kibble and make a kind of porridge which would be another alternative if you don’t want to change it. I don’t know the brand and we feed raw to our pups and dogs but I did see on their website that Canagan have a small breed kibble which I would have expected to be a better size for a mini schnauzer :)

https://www.canagan.co.uk/canagan-small ... -dogs.html
Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. ~Roger Caras

Magic - Silversocks Sharade at Darksprite
Trilby - Darksprite Rosa Bud

https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/C ... 916994967/
ohsosky
First Name: Sky

Post by ohsosky »

Thanks so much for your reply :) I didn’t even notice the small breed bags, honestly I keep making so many mistakes and he isn’t even here yet! I will pick up a bag of the smaller, it will save me from cutting up 1000 pieces of food into quarters!!
zeta1454
First Name: Leigh
Dog #1: Magic
Born: 20 Apr 2010
Dog #2: Trilby
Born: 15 Mar 2012
Dog #3: Pip
Born: 21 Feb 2014

Post by zeta1454 »

Introducing a new puppy is always a learning curve even when they are not a first dog. Each one has their own special characteristics which you have to adapt to. We read so much and spoke to so many people before we got our first dog and still things didn’t always go to plan :)) It is a fun journey, exciting, scary but amazing bringing a new dog into your family. Look forward to hearing how things go when you bring your puppy home.

P.S I forgot to say that, although I don’t feed kibble to ours, Canagan does look a much better choice than Royal Canin :)
Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. ~Roger Caras

Magic - Silversocks Sharade at Darksprite
Trilby - Darksprite Rosa Bud

https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/C ... 916994967/