food review

Need help or advice on feeding your Schnauzer, whether it be kibble or treats, you'll find the information here. There is food reviews, recipes, remedies for poorly tummies and a wealth of feeding knowledge from your fellow Schnauzer owner. We cover BARF in a separate section.
Little Bear

Re: food review

Post by Little Bear »

Darwinsmum wrote:Little Bear what course are you doing?
Hi, sorry for the delay, I forgot to tick the notify me button - doh!

It's only a certificate in canine behaviour so a toe in the water course but I'm absolutely loving it. I'm doing it with Alpha Education in Windsor. It's home study and you get six months to complete five modules. http://www.thinkdog.org/courses.html and I think you get Open College accreditation if you pass.

I've also done the two day practical and loved that too. It was two days at an RSPCA centre assessing dogs, learning about body language, practicing clicker training etc. From there the tutor asked if a couple of us who lived locally wanted to volunteer at their puppy classes so I'm an assistant at my local puppy class now - which is a lot of 'kitchen roll duty' and lead holding, but it's great fun and I get to play with puppies every week!

I'm only doing it to learn more about my two - I've no plans of a career change (I'm way too soft for that!) but it's stretching my brain in a new direction which can't be bad (read)
The Little Bear Dog Blog - Living, Loving and Learning with a 'problem dog'
http://thelittlebeardogblog.wordpress.com/
Caramomo
Site Admin
First Name: Elaine
Dog #1: Cara
is a: Black Mini Bitch
Born: 05 Dec 2006
Dog #2: Momo
is a: Black Mini Bitch
Born: 14 Aug 2009
Dog #3: Molly
Born: 01 Aug 2010

Post by Caramomo »

Little Bear wrote:The montyzoomers would be fun to see though eh?!
I must say that I lived with these for six months until I realised how bad Bakers is and they are exhausting. I had a puppy schnauzer with permanent zoomies. She was a nightmare. I'm so glad I found a better food when I did and just wish I found it sooner.

Another scary thing about those additives - did you know that one of the 'EC permitted additives' that is a blue food colouring is linked to tumours in humans? And Yellow colourings that are proven to cause hyperactivity in children. I so wish the bigger supermarkets would stock a better brand or two of dog food, maybe that would get more of the public off the likes of Bakers and PC and feeding their dogs good quality foods. I wonder how many behaviour problems that would solve!
Cara and Mo, two black mini's and Molly a black & white Heinz 57 all served by Elaine, the cook, poop picker, and chief toy thrower.
I live by the Mini Schnauzer code; when in danger or in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!
Little Bear

Post by Little Bear »

Caramomo wrote:
Little Bear wrote:The montyzoomers would be fun to see though eh?!
I must say that I lived with these for six months until I realised how bad Bakers is and they are exhausting. I had a puppy schnauzer with permanent zoomies. She was a nightmare. I'm so glad I found a better food when I did and just wish I found it sooner.

Another scary thing about those additives - did you know that one of the 'EC permitted additives' that is a yellow food colouring is linked to cancer in humans? And that could easily be in the supermarket stocked foods. I so wish the bigger supermarkets would stock a better brand or two of dog food, maybe that would get more of the public off the likes of Bakers and PC.
Oh my, I bet that was a force to be reckoned with! Well survived!

I only looked at Bakers because my friend's got a rescue Lab, Grace, whose hair is falling out. She's spent a fortune on tests at the vet but they've not asked about her diet which seems bonkers. When I researched it I read about similar cases of hair loss on Bakers and worse. I'm disgusted that they're only required to put the full ingredients on bags over 10kg - which means most people picking up a bag in Tescos just see 'EC permitted additives' which seems pretty harmless.

You're right, I wish it was easier to get hold of the better alternatives, but then again the big brands have more pulling power with the supermarkets I suppose :-(
Little Bear

Post by Little Bear »

dannie_kl

Post by dannie_kl »

Great link, I'll read it properly later when I have more time
Darwinsmum

Post by Darwinsmum »

Little Bear wrote:
Darwinsmum wrote:Little Bear what course are you doing?
Hi, sorry for the delay, I forgot to tick the notify me button - doh!

It's only a certificate in canine behaviour so a toe in the water course but I'm absolutely loving it. I'm doing it with Alpha Education in Windsor. It's home study and you get six months to complete five modules. http://www.thinkdog.org/courses.html and I think you get Open College accreditation if you pass.

I've also done the two day practical and loved that too. It was two days at an RSPCA centre assessing dogs, learning about body language, practicing clicker training etc. From there the tutor asked if a couple of us who lived locally wanted to volunteer at their puppy classes so I'm an assistant at my local puppy class now - which is a lot of 'kitchen roll duty' and lead holding, but it's great fun and I get to play with puppies every week!

I'm only doing it to learn more about my two - I've no plans of a career change (I'm way too soft for that!) but it's stretching my brain in a new direction which can't be bad (read)
Good for you but that's how I started as an assistant and I got the bug and hopefully going for my APDT membership this year.
Darwin and Mia 2 heatbeats at my feet
A life without dogs - I don't think so!
www.lincsdogtraining.co.uk
Merlins Mommy
First Name: Barb
Dog #1: Merlin
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 25 Jun 2010

Post by Merlins Mommy »

Hi

Just to let you know Pets at Home currently have Royal Canin Buy One Get One Free Schnauzer Food
and Buy One get One Half Price on the puppy food

Barb & Merlin (p/s boy dob 25.6.10)
Merlin (p & s born 25.6.10)
Hobnob
Puppy

Post by Hobnob »

Just thought you may like to know......went to the local Pets A H store to pick up some of their Lamb food. (one of mine dos not tolerate chicken) It has changed. The lady asked if I needed any help choosing, so I let her tell me how new and better the new PAH make was, more nutritious and value for money, it is aimed at the high end of dog food. She totally shocked herself when she tried telling me that there was more fresh meat in than the old brand. She got a bag of lamb down and there is more chicken in than lamb!!!!! Then on checking the old brand, that was the same but no way as near as much of the chicken! The beef has chicken in aswell. Needless to say we chose the Wainwrights lamb and the manager is looking into the problem as it seems to be misleading!
(We did have to change from JWB as one of mine got lots of dandruff when fed on it.)
murphygrowl

Post by murphygrowl »

just to put a point of view over a few years ago we lost murphy through bloat.when i was on the internet i was telling people what happened to him.a ameican women contacted me and said she could not believe we were feeding him on dry biscuit, she said it was taboo over in the states and they feed there dogs[schnauzers]on wet food and the cases of bloat has crashed down.just wondering if anyone else heard of this?because it is getting so common now dogs get bloat i thought she might be going in the right direction. just a thought.
dannie_kl

Post by dannie_kl »

Our old dane who we lost a year ago this month died of bloat, she had dry food mixed with wet all her life so i'm not entirely sure I believe wet food is the answer but its an interesting theory.
entemeranair

Post by entemeranair »

Has anyone tried Lilly's Kitchen dog food? They had a stand at Crufts and I got a starter pack to give it a try. Poppy absolutely loved it - which was amazing as she is a very fussy eater. It is expensive so I was wondering if anyone else had used it or heard of it before I made a commitment to buy some more! I have attached a link to their website....any thoughts?

http://www.lilyskitchen.co.uk/food-for-your-dog
nellynelson

Post by nellynelson »

Hi,

My two minis are on lilly's kitchen and have been on it for over a year. The problem i had with my two was one would throw up if the food didnt suit them and the other one would have the trots. Lillies is the only food that keeps them both happy and they eat the food without fuss. I read an article from a vet who is a great believer in the barf diet and he said if you can't do barf then lillies is best alternative. I did try home cooking and raw for a while which the dogs enjoyed but i prefer lillies. Its worth shopping around for prices as some pet shops will sell it cheaper than online. Before xmas i was buying it for £1.95 a tin.

Gill
entemeranair

Post by entemeranair »

Oh, I am really pleased to hear that. It does look good - I'll see if my local pet shop will source it in for me (they are pretty good). Poppy really enjoys it so I think I will get a big bag and see how I go!
Frankies Dad
Puppy

Post by Frankies Dad »

Just reading through this and so far no one has mentioned Dr Johns Silver Medal.

We've been feeding Frankie on this since we got him 5 years ago. Its a working dog food and comes in 15kg bags (£8.99). We used to have a Bearded Collie who had suffered with Colitis. We decided to put him on Dr Johns too and he was much healthier.

It also doesn't have any beetroot colouring in it, so it keeps Schnauzer beards nice and clean!

I can't recommend it enough. We do add some chicken or other meats and veggies to it if there are scraps leftover from tea (dinner for posh people).

http://www.gilpa.co.uk/downloadlibrary/ ... S_4_10.pdf
dannie_kl

Post by dannie_kl »

we fed Dr John's Gold to the old dane sometimes, she liked it and i know someone else who swears by dr john's