food review

Need help or advice on feeding your Schnauzer, whether it be kibble or treats, you'll find the information here. There is food reviews, recipes, remedies for poorly tummies and a wealth of feeding knowledge from your fellow Schnauzer owner. We cover BARF in a separate section.
black beard
First Name: Donna
Dog #1: Heidi
is a: Black Std Bitch
Born: 16 Mar 2010
Dog #2: Dita
Born: 28 Jun 2011
Dog #3: Ruddi
Born: 21 Apr 2013
is a: Black Std Dog

Re: food review

Post by black beard »

oow you have just inspired me for what to cook for dinner tonight :)
Heidi: Black Standard born 16/3/10
Dita: Black Standard born 28/6/11
Ruddi: Black Standard born 21/4/13
hula-hoop
First Name: sara
Dog #1: Stanley
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 04 Jun 2010

Post by hula-hoop »

^^^ nothing beats an nice homemade fish pie with smoked haddock, prawns and salmon!
Stanley ratbag - s & p mini born 4/6/10
dannie_kl

Post by dannie_kl »

hula-hoop wrote:^^^ nothing beats an nice homemade fish pie with smoked haddock, prawns and salmon!
Oh i think i'd rather pull my own teeth out!

Unfortunately you have made a rod for your own back giving into stanley and offering him alternatives such as fish pie as opposed to making him realise his dinner is all he'll get, if he doesnt eat he'll go hungry
hula-hoop

Post by hula-hoop »

Shortly after we got him we put a tiny but of pedigree chum puppy meat on top of his dry kibble (only 10g) to encourage him to eat it which he did. Now we ran out not long ago so stopped doing this.... I thought he could manage without, and to be honest i would prefer him not to have any pedigree chum at all. I went shopping monday night and bought some more to see if that would help the current problem....put a bit on his food again and last night and both times today he has eaten the lot! So its not that he doesnt like the Orijen I dont think!

Dannie, I wasnt too pleased about giving him the fish pie either. I seem to be the only disciplinarian in this house (and not a very good one at that)...
black beard
First Name: Donna
Dog #1: Heidi
Born: 16 Mar 2010
Dog #2: Dita
Born: 28 Jun 2011
Dog #3: Ruddi
Born: 21 Apr 2013
is a: Black Std Dog

Post by black beard »

Hula, rather have you tried Stanley with some sardines or tuna in oil on top of his kibble? I have the same problem with Heidi who has never eaten her kibble without a little dressing of something. I do sometimes give her a smidge of whatever we have had but only mixed in with her normal food. The oil in the fish is good for their coats and just makes it a bit more interesting.
Heidi: Black Standard born 16/3/10
Dita: Black Standard born 28/6/11
Ruddi: Black Standard born 21/4/13
hula-hoop

Post by hula-hoop »

^^^ Thanks, I will give it a go, he does seem to like fish a lot (goes mad for the fish for dogs fish skin treats).
dannie_kl

Post by dannie_kl »

I personally do like to give my dogs a little bit of left overs but always in their dinner never straight off the plate. If you are cooking something like fish pie or whatever why not save a spoonful and mix his kibble well into it? he'll have variety and if you are going out to dinner or getting take away he can't have if you have a couple of packs of wet food in the cupboard as spares they can be a back up. If you dont want tp feed Pedigree Chum (i dont blame you) why not look at something like Natures Menu/Nature Diet as these are quite good as far as wet food goes! If I'm cooking something like meat pie and veg with gravy i always do a bit extra veg and gravy to put in the dogs dinner, they love it, even just a bit of gravy is a nice treat on a chilly evening. also maybe try feeding him at say 7-7:30, he should be hungry by this time and if he's not a big eater you may wish to cut him down to one meal? Mine all have 1 meal of an evening because they were messing about with breakfast and it becomes an expensive waste with 4 or 5 of them (or even 7 :D )
Caramomo
Site Admin
First Name: Elaine
Dog #1: Cara
is a: Black Mini Bitch
Born: 05 Dec 2006
Dog #2: Momo
is a: Black Mini Bitch
Born: 14 Aug 2009
Dog #3: Molly
Born: 01 Aug 2010

Post by Caramomo »

I do the same as Dannie, if I have any leftovers or make something that they'll enjoy they get a spoonful in their bowls. I am always wary of gravy made with granules though - lots of them contain onion and mushrooms which can make dogs poorly so I try to look for granules without those in, especially if they have it regularly. If they only get it now and again (they haven't had any gravy in over a month) then I don't worry as much.
Cara and Mo, two black mini's and Molly a black & white Heinz 57 all served by Elaine, the cook, poop picker, and chief toy thrower.
I live by the Mini Schnauzer code; when in danger or in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!
hula-hoop

Post by hula-hoop »

Thats a very good idea thank you Dannie and Elaine. I did try mixing philadelphia in with the orijen, but that didnt cut it, think he is a meat and fish boy!
Little Bear

Post by Little Bear »

[laughing] Hi everyone, great thread and perfect timing as my next doggie assignment is on analysing dog food!

Little Bear is currently on (ah hem..) Barking Heads Fat Dog Slim but he's always had mixed veg with his food since he was a pup and now won't eat his dinner unless he has it.

Annie the lab having now lost 4kg of lardy poochiness is off the fat dog slim and is on Burns lamb and brown rice. She hates veg and spits it at you in disgust!

I found this while I was hunting around researching food - an eye opener in terms of manufacturers!
http://www.ethicalconsumer.org/LinkClic ... D&tabid=36

I also did some research on Bakers and Pedigree and OM good grief - talk about scared!!

COAPE sell a good online booklet by Val Strong on nutrition too. I had a shock reading that - I didn't know that the protein level on the bag isn't the actual protein level of the food - you need to factor in the moisture content apparently to get the true fig. Oh good grief, I'm turning into SUCH a geek/bore! (nerd) No wonder my non-doggie mates don't want to come round for dinner! LOL! Is it just me?
The Little Bear Dog Blog - Living, Loving and Learning with a 'problem dog'
http://thelittlebeardogblog.wordpress.com/
Darwinsmum

Post by Darwinsmum »

Little Bear what course are you doing?
Darwin and Mia 2 heatbeats at my feet
A life without dogs - I don't think so!
www.lincsdogtraining.co.uk
dannie_kl

Post by dannie_kl »

Little bear, I am interested in nutrition and what my dogs eat but if i am completely honest it asoultely baffles me half the time so I try to use a good food and then add a little bit to it as and when I have cooked something suitable (not indian or mexican-they'd have montyzoomers revenge!)
Barking heads is one of thes best available I believe from when I researched some foods when I was thinking about changing over!
tosca

Post by tosca »

OMG Belle is on Hills Prescription C/D which prevents the build up of struvite stones, I am shocked at this and will be speaking to my vet, I have to admit I don't only feed her that, I tend to give her freshly cooked meat and veg and my own gravy, she eats what we eat to a large extent, the only worry I have is that she isn't getting all the vitamins she needs from 'our food', am I worrying for nothing!
dannie_kl

Post by dannie_kl »

I can't view that link :(
Little Bear

Post by Little Bear »

dannie_kl wrote:Little bear, I am interested in nutrition and what my dogs eat but if i am completely honest it asoultely baffles me half the time so I try to use a good food and then add a little bit to it as and when I have cooked something suitable (not indian or mexican-they'd have montyzoomers revenge!)
Barking heads is one of thes best available I believe from when I researched some foods when I was thinking about changing over!
I know what you mean. I have to analyse two foods for my behaviour course and my head has all but caught alight it's so confusing on times! From what I can tell, good rules of thumb seem to be:

Avoid vague ingredients - anything that doesn't name the meat or cereal specifically is a good indicator of a manufacturer surfing the market to pick up the cheapest sources

Avoid EC permitted anything! This hides a whole lot of eNumber nasties that have been banned for human use and have been linked (although not enough good studies done) to behavioural and a whole host of health issues in dogs

So I'm with you, Barking Heads seems ideal - simple, clear ingredients with nothing technical I have to google!

The montyzoomers would be fun to see though eh?!
The Little Bear Dog Blog - Living, Loving and Learning with a 'problem dog'
http://thelittlebeardogblog.wordpress.com/