Forum offline - Friday 15 July 2016

Any changes or interruptions to the regular service will be posted here.
Dinkum
Tech Team
First Name: Dean
Dog #1: Rupert RIP
is a: Black Mini Dog
Born: 24 Dec 2010
Dog #2: Watson
Born: 21 Feb 2012

Forum offline - Friday 15 July 2016

Post by Dinkum »

Hello All

The forum will be offline again tomorrow morning from 9am and should be back online by 11am. It may come back slowly as I am making changes to the name servers.

As we did last week, I will update the Schnauzer Facebook page if we run into any problems. https://www.facebook.com/schnauzerforum" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Dean (Dog dad)
Rupert, black mini, 24/12/10 - 01/03/24
Watson, black mini born 21/02/12

I offer my advice freely, but I am not an expert, breeder, groomer or behaviourist. It is simply my experience of raising pups in a way that seems to make sense.
Dinkum
Tech Team
First Name: Dean
Dog #1: Rupert RIP
Born: 24 Dec 2010
Dog #2: Watson
Born: 21 Feb 2012

Re: Forum offline - Friday 15 July 2016

Post by Dinkum »

Hello everyone,

After a rather manic day yesterday, I am pleased to say that we are finally back online. Things didn't go quite to plan and a few things failed that didn't in testing. Good news is that most of them are sorted now.

This is the last upgrade of the current forum. From 1 January 2017, the software that runs the forum will no longer be supported and it will have come to the end of its life. There have been no security upgrades recently and fortunately there are no current exploits in the software. From 1 January, there will also no longer be support and the forums where I can go for advice are being closed.

Moving forward, we will have to change from our current version of the software. I have been reluctant to do it as we would lose a bit of functionality. Some of it we are already losing, some of it we don't use and some of it we use regularly.

Tapatalk is no longer working with the current version 3.0 and seems unlikely to work with 3.2. Good news is that 3.2 is responsive, so it looks good and functions well across all devices.

The current calendar will disappear. This is not a problem as it is rarely used.

The galleries are no longer supported. We will have access to the photo's currently in the gallery and it may be possible to continue uploading photo's as before. I won't know until I start building the new version. I am keen to try and maintain the close integration that we currently have. I'll look at this again as many people do use Facebook for their photo's now and it may be better to let it go from a maintenance point of view.

There will be minor cosmetic changes to things like the Similar Topics, smilies, bbcodes, birthdays and the layout in general, but I will keep these to a minimum where possible.

We have a few months to plan it all.

For those interested in end of life announcement, you can find it here.
Dean (Dog dad)
Rupert, black mini, 24/12/10 - 01/03/24
Watson, black mini born 21/02/12

I offer my advice freely, but I am not an expert, breeder, groomer or behaviourist. It is simply my experience of raising pups in a way that seems to make sense.