How about a section for showing

Thought of something to make the forum better. Then please share. We welcome suggestions to improve the forum.
Hollypops
First Name: Ruth
Dog #1: Holly
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 27 Mar 2013

How about a section for showing

Post by Hollypops »

Where we can post upcoming shows. Everything from fun ones on the village green to crufts. And get advice, I've never shown but might like to give it a go at fun level to see what's it like. But I don't know where to begin so I'm sure others dont either.... :D :o3
Dawnspell
First Name: Alison
Dog #1: Barney RIP 8/3/19
is a: White Mini Dog
Born: 06 Feb 2013
Dog #2: Jasper
is a: White Mini Dog
Born: 25 Apr 2019

Re: How about a section for showing

Post by Dawnspell »

What do you mean by fun level ? I only ask as the photos you've posted of Holly she looks like she's clipped. This is fine for local fete dog most like their owner type show but if you are meaning to show against other minis as in pedigree proper stuff she would have to be stripped. :)
Our first family dog
Barney - Pocketpark Biali Eyebright 6/2/13 - 8/3/19 Gone too soon
Motto for owners who groom their own Schnauzers -"Never mind it'll soon grow back"
Caramomo
Site Admin
First Name: Elaine
Dog #1: Cara
is a: Black Mini Bitch
Born: 05 Dec 2006
Dog #2: Momo
Born: 14 Aug 2009
Dog #3: Molly
Born: 01 Aug 2010

Post by Caramomo »

We have the Best in Show section which is used for both Championship, open and companion dog shows. Although it is mainly used by members for championship and open shows members have also posted about other shows, including results from their local fete dog show.

We also have the calendar for upcoming events. Occasionally fun shows are detailed here. If members are aware of any such shows they are welcome to add them to the calendar or pop a post in Best in Show.

Best in Show is also the best place to ask questions. We have a few owners who show, I'm sure they would love to help out, introduce you to their sport, answer any questions and give general advice.

Show dates for open and championship shows are not usually displayed here unless there is a specific conversation about that show. This is mainly because there are so many of them (a championship show nearly every weekend through the summer months) and there are several websites that post the dates for these so that those that do show know where to find the details for these. If you are after such dates have a look at the websites of Higham Press, Dogbiz and Fosse Data. These websites not only include dates but the show schedules and entry forms, some shows will also allow online entry via one of these sites.
Cara and Mo, two black mini's and Molly a black & white Heinz 57 all served by Elaine, the cook, poop picker, and chief toy thrower.
I live by the Mini Schnauzer code; when in danger or in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!
Caramomo
Site Admin

Post by Caramomo »

Here is the link to the Best in Show section;

viewforum.php?f=33
Cara and Mo, two black mini's and Molly a black & white Heinz 57 all served by Elaine, the cook, poop picker, and chief toy thrower.
I live by the Mini Schnauzer code; when in danger or in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!
Hollypops

Post by Hollypops »

Ok looks like that covers it. I hadn't looked very hard in there. By fun level I mean village fete. I don't want to show properly at the moment.
Hollypops

Post by Hollypops »

Just a thought if the fete's show is a KC companion show would she have to be stripped for that?
Caramomo
Site Admin

Post by Caramomo »

I don't think so.
Hollypops

Post by Hollypops »

Thanks, I may get brave enough to enter..... :o3
countrygirl
First Name: Tania
Dog #1: Widget
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 20 Oct 2011

Post by countrygirl »

Hollypops wrote:Just a thought if the fete's show is a KC companion show would she have to be stripped for that?
I organised a KC licensed companion dog show last year and the rules are not very restrictive and meant to encourage pet owners and those wanting a bit of ring experience. If there are pedigree classes at the show then the dogs in those classes should be pedigree but they do not have to be KC registered. As for grooming, just because a Schnauzer is clipped would not mean it couldn't enter, it just doesn't have the 'ideal' coat under the standard, a bit like being too large or have sticky up ears etc so they can join in the fun but may not do as well compared to dogs that better meet the standard. A lot of KC companion shows also have novelty classes (cutest puppy, best trick, dog most like its owner etc), these are open to all dogs and usually lots of fun.

Have a go and enjoy!
Rufus: B&S mini 18/3/11 - 19/10/11
Widget: P&S mini 20/10/11
lj_thorne
First Name: Lisa
Dog #1: Barnaby
Born: 16 Oct 2010
Dog #2: Albert
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 24 Jul 2012
Dog #3: Sherman
Born: 21 Sep 2014
is a: B/S Mini Dog

Post by lj_thorne »

do they allow for excessive woofing as well???? :D :D :D
Human slave to my three furry boys Albert, Sherman and Rupert the Bear

Barnaby 🌈

https://m.facebook.com/schnauzerlads/
countrygirl
First Name: Tania
Dog #1: Widget
Born: 20 Oct 2011

Post by countrygirl »

I would also add that local fetes don't tend to have very experienced show judges, often just a local celeb or dog trainer, so judging is not closely based on breed standards as it would be at open or championship shows etc. More often they are looking at temperament and character.... so excessive woofing will get you noticed at least :D
Rufus: B&S mini 18/3/11 - 19/10/11
Widget: P&S mini 20/10/11
Hollypops

Post by Hollypops »

Haha madam is on form with the woofing today, it's recycling day!
This particular village doesn't have novelty categories and the judges usually look like they know their stuff so it made me think. Eyebrows might get raised if an outsider won [-x but that makes me fancy a try :o3
Maty
First Name: Kate
Dog #1: Isaura Lucidus
Born: 10 Aug 2011
Dog #2: Darksprite Finn Mac
Born: 17 Mar 2013

Post by Maty »

We have been to a Doggy Fun Day and entered lost of classes :D We even came home with some rosettes :-bd Waggiest Tail, best Family Group, Cutest Schnauzer - we got places in each class :-bd

Proper showing is not for me, but this was a great laugh and not taken too seriously - well except for the woman that accused me of cheating by feeding Creggan treats to get him to wag his tail =)) Poor chap had been woken from his nap to take part and was very sleepy so I had to do something, he was only 4 months old :D
Maty

Rodders the Mini Pup, born 10/08/11, came home on 09/10/11
Creggan the Mini Pup, born 17/03/13, came home on 01/06/13

Proud of my Scottish Heritage
Hollypops

Post by Hollypops »

=)) love it when people take thing far to seriously!