How much raw for my giant puppy?

BARF refers to Biologically Appropriate Raw food or Bones and Raw Food. It is where owners have decided to feed their Schnauzer a natural diet of raw meat, bones, and organs. If you are considering this for your Schnauzer, you will find lots of handy tips here.
henry101
First Name: Henry

How much raw for my giant puppy?

Post by henry101 »

Hi All,

I have a 4 month old Giant. He weighs 38lbs and is on pure raw - meaty bones, organs etc. I am a little confused how much to feed him. Using an online raw food for puppy calculator - it comes out at 1.9lbs per day - but the breeder has said that a Giant puppy should eat all he wants until he is 6 months.

At the moment he has 1lb for breakfast, maybe a bone/snack during the day and 1lb for dinner. He is always hungry and ready to eat more. We have around 4 walks a day and one of them he is off leash - so I would say medium active.

Should I be giving him more and if so how much? Is there a difference in raw food recommendation for giants as opposed to other breed puppies, even if they have the same weight?

Thanks!
Robin black mini
First Name: Jo
Dog #1: Robin
is a: Black Mini Bitch
Born: 13 Dec 2014
Dog #2: Stanley st poodle
Born: 24 Nov 2012

Re: How much raw for my giant puppy?

Post by Robin black mini »

I would follow the breeders recommendations,if you trust him and his adult dogs are what you aspire to ..
Look at your pup,feel his rib cage..it should be well covered in a pup,not skinny ..
Others who feed raw will be more specific in quantities for a giant pup..
You could also supplement with a whole meal biscuit or two if you think he is on the thin side.
zeta1454
First Name: Leigh
Dog #1: Magic
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 20 Apr 2010
Dog #2: Trilby
Born: 15 Mar 2012
Dog #3: Pip
Born: 21 Feb 2014

Post by zeta1454 »

As Jo says, if you trust your Breeder then I would follow their recommendations. Dogs do differ in their appetite and metabolism even among pups from the same litter.
There is a link here that may also help if you are DIY raw feeding :)

http://www.rawfeedingrebels.com/wp-cont ... rguide.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. ~Roger Caras

Magic - Silversocks Sharade at Darksprite
Trilby - Darksprite Rosa Bud

https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/C ... 916994967/
henry101
First Name: Henry

Post by henry101 »

I am immensely grateful thank you so much for this! I will increase his intake.