Travelling abroad and Barf

BARF refers to Biologically Appropriate Raw food or Bones and Raw Food. It is where owners have decided to feed their Schnauzer a natural diet of raw meat, bones, and organs. If you are considering this for your Schnauzer, you will find lots of handy tips here.
Wagsie
First Name: Julie
Dog #1: Mollie Mae
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 25 May 2013

Travelling abroad and Barf

Post by Wagsie »

Hi guys, not been on here for a while, Mollie is now two and an absolute pleasure, she's grown into a beautiful bundle of energy and fun and we all love her to bits. She and Spike, our JR have been on a Barf diet for about a year and they both love it.

My problem is that Mollie and Spike are joining us when we go over to Spain on holiday, we are driving out and have planned plenty of stops on route, we are on top of the passports and related stuff but don't know how to continue the raw food diet, for the journey or for the duration of our stay, does anyone know if we can still buy the same sort of food we buy here in the UK or are we looking at other alternatives, at the moment they have beef mince and chicken mince from Pets at Home mixed with fruit and veg, can buy the fruit, veg and chicken wings ok but not sure about the meat side

Any advice appreciated :)

Julie & Mollie
BeeBee
First Name: Janetta

Re: Travelling abroad and Barf

Post by BeeBee »

You could DIY it, we do it all the time so it's not a problem where we are, whether the UK or France. We buy supermarket meat and whizz up a mix of fruit and veg and add it to the mince, or chopped chicken or whatever meat we have. We buy chicken wings easily in supermarkets, turkey wings, rabbit, either portioned up already or whole. The choice is great here (France), lots of offal choice we don't find at home, things like testicles for example =))

The supermarkets here have everything we'd find at home as far as what we need for the dogs, but, we're used to freestyling rather than buying prepared raw. Spain must be similar I'd imagine. The prepared stuff is just what you can do yourself, its just convenient I guess. If you're worried about quantities, you could get used to it before you leave the UK so you have a handle on portions to make up whilst you're away.

There might be some members who raw feed who live in Spain who might be able to advise though on what's available pre-prepared :)
Jasmine (RIP) Renae b.01.11.10, sister to Susie-Belle (RIP), Twinkle (RIP), Cerise & Albert Claude puppy farm rescues, my muses
Creator of Schnauzerfest a good thing made possible by 1000s of good people & dogs
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Susie-Be ... 0289434936
http://www.janettaharvey.com/
Wagsie
First Name: Julie
Dog #1: Mollie Mae
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 25 May 2013

Post by Wagsie »

We buy the mince from Pets at home because of the bone in it, we mix that up with fruit/veg and cottage cheese etc whatever we have, they have pilchards too, guess we could buy supermarket meat and just feed more chicken wings for the bone?

We are going early evening so I guess we could feed before we go and then just find something for breakfast, maybe some frozen chicken wings that can defrost on the journey?

Guess I'm just worrying about making sure they are fed ok and with as little change as possible :/
Nika C
First Name: danika
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 0- 1- 0

Post by Nika C »

If you can get a small polystyrene box and pack it well you could take a couple of days worth with you to start you off and give yourself time to suss out the local shops? We're taking two weeks worth with us in a poly box to France this Saturday :)
Caramomo
Site Admin
First Name: Elaine
Dog #1: Cara
is a: Black Mini Bitch
Born: 05 Dec 2006
Dog #2: Momo
Born: 14 Aug 2009
Dog #3: Molly
Born: 01 Aug 2010

Post by Caramomo »

Wagsie wrote:Guess I'm just worrying about making sure they are fed ok and with as little change as possible :/
The beauty of barf is in the change! If you are by the coast you'll find some lovely fresh fish, inland there should be game available. Or if you prefer to stick to what you know I've lived in lots of countries and every single one has stocked chicken of some sort. It makes you realise just how limited UK mainstream meat options are when you see what's easily available elsewhere.

As for bone, a whole fish is great for that, all the bone, muscle and offal in exactly the right portions (don't get them gutted) wrapped up in one piece! When I feed my three fish they don't get anything else, that's all they need that day and it's so easy to portion up.
Cara and Mo, two black mini's and Molly a black & white Heinz 57 all served by Elaine, the cook, poop picker, and chief toy thrower.
I live by the Mini Schnauzer code; when in danger or in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!
Caramomo
Site Admin
First Name: Elaine
Dog #1: Cara
Born: 05 Dec 2006
Dog #2: Momo
Born: 14 Aug 2009
Dog #3: Molly
Born: 01 Aug 2010

Post by Caramomo »

Wagsie wrote:Guess I'm just worrying about making sure they are fed ok and with as little change as possible :/
The beauty of barf is in the change! If you are by the coast you'll find some lovely fresh fish, inland there should be game available. Or if you prefer to stick to what you know I've lived in lots of countries and every single one has stocked chicken of some sort. It makes you realise just how limited UK mainstream meat options are when you see what's easily available elsewhere.

As for bone, a whole fish is great for that, all the bone, muscle and offal in exactly the right portions (don't get them gutted) wrapped up in one piece! When I feed my three fish they don't get anything else, that's all they need that day and it's so easy to portion up.
Cara and Mo, two black mini's and Molly a black & white Heinz 57 all served by Elaine, the cook, poop picker, and chief toy thrower.
I live by the Mini Schnauzer code; when in danger or in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!
getting1bow-wow
Puppy
First Name: Grace

Post by getting1bow-wow »

thanks for this post. has anyone taken their dog(s) and stayed in a hotel or B&B before on holiday and fed them on raw food?
BeeBee
First Name: Janetta

Post by BeeBee »

getting1bow-wow wrote:thanks for this post. has anyone taken their dog(s) and stayed in a hotel or B&B before on holiday and fed them on raw food?
Yes, dead easy, use the accomodation's fridge in the kitchen if they'll let you, or if you have one in the room that one. Or, cool box that you can plug in.
Jasmine (RIP) Renae b.01.11.10, sister to Susie-Belle (RIP), Twinkle (RIP), Cerise & Albert Claude puppy farm rescues, my muses
Creator of Schnauzerfest a good thing made possible by 1000s of good people & dogs
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Susie-Be ... 0289434936
http://www.janettaharvey.com/
getting1bow-wow
Puppy
First Name: Grace

Post by getting1bow-wow »

Thanks Bee.
Duh, i didn't think of that, as the last hotel in Cornwall didn't have an in room fridge but they welcome dogs! Maybe I should also look into a plug in cool box too when the time comes.
Nika C
First Name: danika
Born: 0- 1- 0

Post by Nika C »

Definitely check what kind of fridge you're getting in your room as well! We went to France recently, and were advised our house had a fridge freezer. What that actually was was a small undercounter fridge with an ice box in the top - and we'd bought two weeks of frozen mince chicken with us! We managed, but 5 people and two dogs (only one dog raw) was something of a challenge! If we'd known we would have just sourced stuff from the local supermarket every few days.
Maty
First Name: Kate
Dog #1: Isaura Lucidus
Born: 10 Aug 2011
Dog #2: Darksprite Finn Mac
Born: 17 Mar 2013

Post by Maty »

I have stayed away for two or three days in a hotel using just a cool box and a cool bag. I started off with three frozen tubs in the coolbox with freezer blocks and moved one to the cool bag as I needed to and we survived.

I have alo done a week in a cottage and took three days food and then sourced locally as I needed it. Even supermarket mince will be OK for a couple of days.
Maty

Rodders the Mini Pup, born 10/08/11, came home on 09/10/11
Creggan the Mini Pup, born 17/03/13, came home on 01/06/13

Proud of my Scottish Heritage
expat_15
First Name: paul

Post by expat_15 »

There are few companies and some of them sell in pet shops, but if you're looking for variety, probable puromenu.es is the best. They send all across Spain and Portugal

Cheers!