Where do we start?

BARF refers to Biologically Appropriate Raw food or Bones and Raw Food. It is where owners have decided to feed their Schnauzer a natural diet of raw meat, bones, and organs. If you are considering this for your Schnauzer, you will find lots of handy tips here.
Bigbird104
First Name: Alison
Dog #1: Doogie
is a: Black Mini Dog
Born: 02 Jul 2011

Re: Where do we start?

Post by Bigbird104 »

Thank you for the advice. I was worried about him behaving as if we were starving him but now I understand why!
squidgy100

Post by squidgy100 »

Lolah also had a major problem (well I panicked) when she first had a chicken wing...she was 9 weeks old, and had held it initially until I felt she was ok with it, but the boys in the garden spooked her and down the whole lot went in one.....I was petrified...this was literally as big as Lolah...Im sure I posted on here when it happened too! I rang the vets who kindly put my mind at rest, and just reminded me to check she is eating normally afterwards to ensure it didn't get stuck, and her stomach acids would do the rest....she was absolutely fine, but the lesson learnt was that dogs absolutely think bones are the best treasure in the world, and if feeling threatened (boys running around the garden) will swallow whole!!!!

Lolah is now on raw full time, (Natural instinct) but sometimes after eating a duck neck will suffer from a little constipation.....solved thanks to Roberts advice with an ice cube of pigs kidneys and lambs liver or a tin of sardines or tripe for the day or so after having large content of bone. Will continue with the bones as they are a good natural teeth cleaner, but am now mindful of feeding her less bone in her main dinners afterwards!
All because of Lolah!
http://www.facebook.com/littletugtugs" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.facebook.com/littleladydoggycreations" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Bigbird104
First Name: Alison
Dog #1: Doogie
is a: Black Mini Dog
Born: 02 Jul 2011

Post by Bigbird104 »

Thank you for the advice! What should we feed if we're worried Doogie is a bit constipated? He's really enjoying his new diet- really gulping everything down and looking for more! We're hoping he'll lose some weight as he is carrying a bit extra. We're using a feeding plan provided by Wolftucker but the amounts, whilst I don't doubt they're correct, look tiny!!!

He's also had his first chicken wing- loved it once he realised he could eat it bone and all!
Maty
First Name: Kate
Dog #1: Isaura Lucidus
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 10 Aug 2011
Dog #2: Darksprite Finn Mac
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 17 Mar 2013

Post by Maty »

Add in some extra offal if he is constipated. It is usually too much bone that causes constipation, but you can tell because the poo becomes chalky and crumbly.

It is handy to have some bone free minces to use every few days if you are finding Wolftucker is causing constipation.
Maty

Rodders the Mini Pup, born 10/08/11, came home on 09/10/11
Creggan the Mini Pup, born 17/03/13, came home on 01/06/13

Proud of my Scottish Heritage
ZiiPAngelclaws
First Name: Hayley

Post by ZiiPAngelclaws »

Bigbird104 wrote:We're using a feeding plan provided by Wolftucker but the amounts, whilst I don't doubt they're correct, look tiny!!!
if you'd like some advice with the amounts let us know his weight :) normal feeding amounts is 3% of the dogs weight per day, though my 2 both have 2.5% as 3% adds a bit too much weight on. Elica at 6.5kg has 150g, Torsten at 9.5kg has 230g both spread over 2 meals ;)
squidgy100

Post by squidgy100 »

Bigbird104 wrote:Thank you for the advice! What should we feed if we're worried Doogie is a bit constipated? He's really enjoying his new diet- really gulping everything down and looking for more! We're hoping he'll lose some weight as he is carrying a bit extra. We're using a feeding plan provided by Wolftucker but the amounts, whilst I don't doubt they're correct, look tiny!!!

He's also had his first chicken wing- loved it once he realised he could eat it bone and all!
Im not sure where my response went...I did reply but will again.

I make my own offal ice cubes and add 10g to meals after eating large quantities on bone now, or otherwise have tripe for a couple of days after a bone, or tinned sardines....all help soften poops....when I made the leap to changing to raw, I knew it was a big decision, and after the last 3 months I still realise its a learning curve, ensuring they don't get constipated, get enough offal etc

This forum is one of the most knowledgable I know and will always offer fabulous advice....good luck with it all
All because of Lolah!
http://www.facebook.com/littletugtugs" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.facebook.com/littleladydoggycreations" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;