Home prepared low phosphorus diet

BARF refers to Biologically Appropriate Raw food or Bones and Raw Food. It is where owners have decided to feed their Schnauzer a natural diet of raw meat, bones, and organs. If you are considering this for your Schnauzer, you will find lots of handy tips here.
Donna 9
First Name: Donna
Dog #1: Flynn
is a: Black Mini Dog
Born: 19 Sep 2011
Dog #2: Max
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 25 Nov 2012

Home prepared low phosphorus diet

Post by Donna 9 »

So, the boys have both been raw fed for months now - and really enjoying it :)

I've been giving Flynn the low phosphorus & purine meal from Nutriment as he needs a low phosphorus & purine diet due to a liver issue. He was ill and then diagnosed with this earlier this year, just as I was starting a new - and stressful - job, so finding a food that literally was labelled as what he needs worked well. The people at Nutriment are lovely too and put up with me ringing and ordering "14 with the dalmatian on, 2 with the boxer on..." :))

However I'm wondering, surely I can prepare a low phosphorus & purine meal at home for Flynn? I've found a place locally that sells Nature's Menu and it got me thinking that surely I could make Flynn up a meal that suits his needs using a meat/tripe mix from Nature's Menu and mixing in veg, herbs, etc. But then I worried... Can I?
Nika C
First Name: danika
Born: 0- 1- 0

Re: Home prepared low phosphorus diet

Post by Nika C »

As far as I'm aware (I could be wrong!) The main factor in low phosphorus and purine with raw diets is to not use organs, which would be a important factor in the usual raw diet. Also I believe raw eggs would be one to avoid, or at least the yolk.... I'm going to ask on a raw group for you as this isn't an area I know very well.... Bear with.....
Donna 9

Post by Donna 9 »

Thanks Danika. That's what I can gather too.. Seeing what it's in the Nutriment version it's nothing I can't get, it seems to be the combination that's key. No offal as you say, it does mean buying tripe which I haven't done but that's not hard. As far as veg and extras go I can look up what's low phosphorus and use that, it's the main meaty part I'm worrying about.

I'm sure I remember reading somewhere that it's not great to add fruit to the meal as it digests differently and can cause upset stomach. Fruit is better as a snack (Kong filling) I've read. Is that what people do?
Nika C

Post by Nika C »

This is a human site but the livestrong site has some good info on fruit and veg with low phosphorus. Personally I'd get a big bag of something dark and leafy like kale, blitz it up and freeze in an ice cube tray for handy portions. We don't feed much veg but Bran does enjoy it from time to time.
First reply advises pretty much all raw food is more gentle on the liver, but avoid organs and keep to low fat.
On the low fat, if you can see if you can get lamb tripe rather than beef, as it is much lower fat.
Donna 9

Post by Donna 9 »

Thanks! I've bought tripe and have two ice cube trays of various kale/parsley/spinach/carrot combinations ready. Also have plain chicken, turkey and white fish for Max..

My nerves really stem from the fact that I suspect I made Flynn ill in the first place, by feeding him foods I know now are high in phosphorus :(( At least I'm better informed now.
BeeBee
First Name: Janetta

Post by BeeBee »

I don't know much about the intricacies of the different diets you need for Flynn, but I'd certainly take the view with mine that once I'd researched it (as you have done) and knew what to avoid (as you do), I'd be able to freestyle feed as healthily as a manufacturer. Good luck, I reckon you probably know masses now about what's good and not for Flynn :)
Jasmine (RIP) Renae b.01.11.10, sister to Susie-Belle (RIP), Twinkle (RIP), Cerise & Albert Claude puppy farm rescues, my muses
Creator of Schnauzerfest a good thing made possible by 1000s of good people & dogs
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Susie-Be ... 0289434936
http://www.janettaharvey.com/
Nika C

Post by Nika C »

BeeBee wrote:I don't know much about the intricacies of the different diets you need for Flynn, but I'd certainly take the view with mine that once I'd researched it (as you have done) and knew what to avoid (as you do), I'd be able to freestyle feed as healthily as a manufacturer. Good luck, I reckon you probably know masses now about what's good and not for Flynn :)
Absolutely, don't doubt yourself!
He wasn't as poorly as Flynn but we had the similar issue when Branock needed a much lower fat diet - there was nothing prepared out there that matched what he needed so we just had to go it alone.
The Nutriment LP food is good, but I would worry about them getting bored of having the same thing all the time - I certainly would and Bran loves his food as much as I do ;)
Mixing your own means you can add more variety, which I certainly believe to be very important both to be healthy and to enjoy their food!